U.k held to ransome

hodge911

They already get that, don't know the actual figure but we pay them a lot now

8 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Omg just heard on news that france wants £30 million before they'll help stop illegal immigrants leaving their shorelines

Edited by Vince Green

All this and how many uk soldiers who put their lives on the line (many losing their life leaving loved ones )are living in cardboard boxes under bridges ect can't get a penny in help .

But come across from france in a dinghy and you get put in a 4* hotel fed and £40 a week spenders ....

This country is screwed

10 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Let's hope we adopt the "push back" approach that Australia use, pick 'em up, check they are safe and then take them to France as that was where they have come from to us.

If only it was that simple! France won't take them back without paperwork to prove they came from France. Which of course they haven't got because the French are super careful not to give them any paperwork.

They are playing us for mugs

14 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

All this and how many uk soldiers who put their lives on the line (many losing their life leaving loved ones )are living in cardboard boxes under bridges ect can't get a penny in help .

But come across from france in a dinghy and you get put in a 4* hotel fed and £40 a week spenders ....

This country is screwed

Yep!

Did I hear correctly if you arrive on our shores and you are under 25 you are automatically considered for UK residency? I was driving and caught a news article where that was the opening sentence and then the debate ensued about "...all young men, all lacking any papers, all claiming not to speak English" etc etc which seemed to tie in with the initial statement that nearly caused me to crash my car. If this is correct then get the Navy out there pushing the boats back at once.

1 hour ago, hodge911 said:

This country is screwed

100% correct  , they should be turned back as soon as they enter british  waters . 

3 hours ago, hodge911 said:

This country is screwed

Hello, good post 👍

I’ve just read Douglas Murray’s “The Strange Death of Europe”.

Struggled a bit with some of the philosophy debate, and art as religion, but overall well worth the effort and as he says in his afterword
: none of the facts in this book were able to be refuted, and nobody of any consequence has tried to contest or deny them.

Read it and form your own opinion.

I heard a former refugee on the radio yesterday, who now works as an interpreter for immigrants, who claimed that many are fleeing war/civil unrest/persecution etc, and that’s fine and understandable, but why do they insist on coming to England ( don’t bother I know the answer ) when policy dictates they seek refuge in the first safe country they enter.

Perhaps if we could find a way of returning them to France, France may try a bit harder to prevent them getting into THEIR country. 

They don't have to seek refuge in the first country they enter, that's an urban myth. Many have learnt English as a second language (let's be honest, what's the point of learning French or Spanish?) so understandably they see their chances of setting up a new life in the UK as the most successful option. Some have relatives or friends already here. It's a tough nut to crack, try and address the problems with corruption and religious intolerance (amongst rival factions of the same religion) in the home countries and the hand wringers accuse governments of colonialism. Try and counter the constant flow and the same hand wringers shout racist xenophobe. Thing is though, I wonder how many residents of leafy Chiswick would be happy if I rocked up with a van and loudhailer at 7am on a Sunday and started blaring out the call to prayer?

Edited by mick miller

If we treated them the same way as the French do they would have no reason to see Britain as a more desirable place to try and get to.

Even years ago when I worked in West Africa everybody wanted to one day come and live in UK, it was like a mantra, a universal aspiration. 

The Dublin Agreement, laid down under EU law that asylum should be processed in the first European country that an applicant is DOCUMENTED. This is the killer condition.

If the country doesn't DOCUMENT the migrant they don't have to process them. Do you see a cop - out? Of course we do. 

The Dublin Regulation (Regulation No. 604/2013; sometimes the Dublin III Regulation; previously the Dublin II Regulation and Dublin Convention) is a European Union (EU) law that determines which EU Member State is responsible for the examination of an application for asylum, submitted by persons seeking international protection under the Geneva Convention and the EU Qualification Directive, within the European Union. It is the cornerstone of the Dublin System, which consists of the Dublin Regulation and the EURODAC Regulation, which establishes a Europe-wide fingerprinting database for unauthorised entrants to the EU. The Dublin Regulation aims to "determine rapidly the Member State responsible [for an asylum claim]"[1] and provides for the transfer of an asylum seeker to that Member State.

Edited by Vince Green

I don’t see why it is France’s problem to stop them leaving. It is our problem to stop them crossing our border but that becomes difficult when they are in a boat and once in British waters we have an obligation to help any vessel in distress, which they would inevitably claim to be. 

The only solution is to process their asylum claim quickly and then deport them back to, I assume, France. But then Human Rights lawyers become involved and it becomes lengthy.