Phoned in radio interviews - like a comedy sketch!

JohnfromUK

Am I the only one who has noticed that in phoned in radio interviews (which since Covid have become much more common) how poor the mobile system actually is - particularly for drop outs?

The present system can be very near unusable  - and the resulting interview always ends up a bit like something that could be taken from a "Two Ronnies" sketch;

Interviewer:  "I wanted to ask about the current rise in unemployment".

Politician: "I'm glad ____ that.  We are seeing _____ but with the ______ and don't forget ______ who have been ______ altogether".

Interviewer:  "I'm afraid we have a bad line and missed some of that".

Politician:  "Well I was _____ that we have ______ and of course _______ nevertheless _________ it does remain ______ looking at".

Interviewer:  "Yes, I think we got your point there despite a few drop outs, but moving towards the winter the trend looks to be upwards".

Politician:  "There is always a ______ but we have taken this into account ______ initiatives _______ later ______ and don't ______ later _______".

Interviewer:  "We do have a poor line, so I think we will have to leave it there".

The above is obviously my (rather poor) make up - but you can see how a comedy sketch could arise from a competent author.

Agreed, it highlights how woeful broadband is in the UK. Every day I see interviews cut short because the internet drops out.

A few years ago we toured Turkey, even in the remotest villages there was full broadband and mobile phone signal.

We can get pictures sent from Jupiter but, parts of Norkolk for example, there's no mobile signal at all.

The British disease, try and get maximum profit out whilst putting the minimum investment in.

6 hours ago, KFC said:

Agreed, it highlights how woeful broadband is in the UK.

I had assumed it was the GSM/3G/4G/5G signal that was poor, but I may be wrong. 

At home for me the phone goes on WiFi - and is good, but away from the WiFi when it is on the GSM/3G/4G it is poor.  My indoor signal (GSM/3G/4G) is very poor (thick walls etc.), but I have 'whole home' WiFi, which works very well and seamlessly through the house.  That with 'WiFi calling' seems to work pretty well.