Water leak listening stick? Amplified ?

that reminds me  i once see a person  with a divining rod.   where i was doing a bit of ground work at the time he walked over a certain spot  and it started jumping and jiggerling about you would not beleave it . there three of us there we all had ago and it worked for all of us..  why we was there the back garden had colapsed like a pot hole we were there was to fill it in   it wasnt far from you between high wycombe and beconsfield a place called holtspur on top off a chalk hill well its all chalk round there ever come across any divining at all

In the old days I used to listen to the sound of the engine to hear tappers not set right or big end bearings rumbling lot of old mechanics used to use this trick none of them new fangled gadgets in them days we had to find out what the trouble was and put it right they don’t rebuild engines now something wrong old one out new one in if the do that more than likely scrap car 

1 hour ago, snow white said:

In the old days I used to listen to the sound of the engine to hear tappers not set right or big end bearings rumbling lot of old mechanics used to use this trick none of them new fangled gadgets in them days we had to find out what the trouble was and put it right they don’t rebuild engines now something wrong old one out new one in if the do that more than likely scrap car 

no mate most of them dont know how to 

Often used a long screw driver pressed to the ear to listen for tappet noises and as a heating engineer water flowing and pump rotors spinning. A decent length screw driver is a must to keep your head/hair away from spinning fans etc.

You really dont need any thing sophisticated, a long dowel rod pressed against the ear will do just fine. I believe that the Dr`s stethoscope was developed from just this method as it was realised that sound amplified through a wooden carrier and further developments brought us to where we are today.

Edited by Flyboy1950
Spelling

4 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Often used a long screw driver pressed to the ear to listen for tappet noises and as a heating engineer water flowing and pump rotors spinning. A decent length screw driver is a must to keep your head/hair away from spinning fans etc.

You really dont need any thing sophisticated, a long dowel rod pressed against the ear will do just fine. I believe that the Dr`s stethoscope was developed from just this method as it was realised that sound amplified through a wooden carrier and further developments brought us to where we are today.

Hello, yes I did the tappet noise to, I know but thought would get a newer version of my old wooden stick, Dr ,s status scope sounds interesting, cheers

12 hours ago, Diver One said:

Mechanics stethoscope?  I use one regularly to locate dodgy /noisy contactors in control panels..frighteningly effective

Hello, thanks just ordered one, just need someone to make me a new leak stick wood top ear piece,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 14/08/2020 at 20:39, peck said:

Hello, that is very kind of you, I was looking on the Vernon Morris web site, at the beech wood ear piece stick, they have a threaded stainless nut fitted to take about 8 mm  stainless bar but I can do that, if I remember the top was about 2.5 inches diameter with the concave area about 2 inches, cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Use a bit of pipe, have used screwdriver and combi spanners in the past, the ring key end of the combi spanner worked better than screwdriver. Also bit of copper pipe works in a jam.

A golf club metal shaft should work well as it's tapered so should amplify the sound.

Here's a link to site selling your type of stick oldypidgeonplopper. https://akrovalve.com/listening-sticks/listening-sticks/

Some better designs on this site http://vernonmorris.co.uk/shop/category/leak-detection/listening-sticks

Edited by figgy

49 minutes ago, figgy said:

Use a bit of pipe, have used screwdriver and combi spanners in the past, the ring key end of the combi spanner worked better than screwdriver. Also bit of copper pipe works in a jam.

A golf club metal shaft should work well as it's tapered so should amplify the sound.

Here's a link to site selling your type of stick oldypidgeonplopper. https://akrovalve.com/listening-sticks/listening-sticks/

Some better designs on this site http://vernonmorris.co.uk/shop/category/leak-detection/listening-sticks

Hello, thanks figgy, kind PW member Peck has made me a new wood ear piece so just need to get some stainless steel rod, cheers