Last minute stalk with new rifle

Lloyd90

I recently picked up a new (to me) rifle as I asked for a slot for a 308 after my renewal. 
My 243 is a nice rifle but pretty heavy with the big scope, mod etc all on it. 

I spoke to @welshwarrior off here who was brilliant at helping me track down something decent and affordable for what I wanted. 

I haven’t got out much at all with the rifle since getting the spaniels and have been doing lots of dog training and shotgun hunting so wanted to try and rekindle my drive to try and go on a deer stalk, should thought a new rifle might get that going :) 

I decided to go back to real basics. I picked up a Remington Model 7 308 for a smidge over £200... stuck a fixed S&B 6x42 scope on it and at last minute added a DPT moderator (wasn’t going to bother with one)... my goal was to get a light weight, hunting rifle that would drop anything I want but be a dream to carry ... well the rifle setup with 20” barrel, special short action and over barrel super light moderator absolutely met the criteria for a light weight and short rifle. 

I am now off work for 2 weeks on my shift pattern and had been visiting friends and family over the weekend. I got home yesterday and messaged @oowee to see if he was out on the deer and he said he was out that night, a bit short notice but the Boss gave me permission so I grabbed the rifle and off we went 🤣

@oowee and I spent the night chasing Roe bucks across a number of farms... we first managed to use the buttolo call (a first for me) which was amazing, calling in a Roe doe who came in and was circling around us. 

We moved around several times calling but spooked a roe buck over a hill top.  Oowee and I stalked around a wood and climbed a gate and found the buck laid down in a big field... we tried to get into position for the buck but he spooked again and took off over the ridge. He stops for a glance back but we he was on the ridge line it was not safe to even consider a shot and off he went. 

Onto the next farm we walked a few fields and hills to get up-to a wood, we walked the long way to get into position and approached the ground. We got setup covering some woodland and squeaked and heard the deer emerge behind us on the wrong side of a huge hedge. Oowee and I moved sharpish to get round to the other side and got up the field where we spotted the Roe. For the second time that evening I got a buck in the cross hairs but again he was on a ridge line and not a safe shot. We squeaked but the deer went away from us instead of towards us. We again repositioned back in the first field but it was gone. We glassed a Fox at the bottom of the field after this but it slipped into the woods. 

At this point it wasn’t long before dark and we had been out several hours. @oowee said we have one last chance so we made our way over to another farm, must have been the fifth one we checked that night. 

We got pulled up and off we went, walking down and setting up on the edge of a woodland. We waited about 20 mins before Oowee spotted two deer not by the woods but about 350+ yards to our right. 

We waited A bit and didn’t want to squeak them as the other ones early ran away from the squeak but Oowee eventually said if he doesn’t squeak in we won’t get a chance anyway. 

I watched this Bucks head peak with interest at the first squeak, then again... next thing he took off at speed coming towards us across two fields. 

I got setup on the sticks and watched him enter our field. Following him as he was getting closer and closer ... he was front on and coming in diagonally near the wood entrance and I was a bit worried he would dart off into the wood at any minute... I managed to get him to stop whilst stood front on at about 60 yards and shot him through the front of the chest. 

Be dropped on the spot, without taking a step. We waited A while and went over. Well all I can say is that the 308 150gr SP is some bloody round... perhaps I should have waited and hoped that the deer turned side on and it would of been a bit less messy. We had one hell of a hole on the side of the rib cage, taking out serval ribs. Luckily the legs and back meat all seemed untouched. Thinking about it now I think that was the entrance and the bullet went along the body as we later found the bullet inside the body cavity. 

After a field gralloch and drag back to the car we got home and and got it up. Oowee wanted a deer for the mole man but this one was a bit rough so he said I could take it. Oowee showed me the best way to skin it whilst hung up in his barn and we took the back legs off and kept the front section. 

On the way home I stopped at an old lads house from my shoot who’s retired and I spend another 30 mins in his garden sectioning up the front half of the deer for him to have as I didn’t have room for the whole thing. I took the two back legs and a back strap and he got the front legs, ribs, and all the meat we could cut off various places, which should make several good meals. When we were done we stripped the carcass down well so I don’t think there will be hardly any wastage. 

A big thank you to @welshwarrior for being so helpful and sorting the rifle for me. He even took delivery of it during Covid and set it all up and tested it for me, top bloke 👍🏻. I will have to review what ammo I used or perhaps just only go for side on shots to avoid excess damage. I only used cheap 150gr SP privi ammo yesterday. We actually found the bullet inside the body cavity when field dressing, it was mostly intact and had expanded really well. 

And obviously a massive thank you to @oowee for getting me out and christening the Rifle. It wasn’t a difficult shot at 60 yards but we really worked for it, covered several farms and bagged this buck in the last half hour of light. 

The heart and excitement really gets going when they come storming in to the call... amazing experience and I am incredibly grateful to be able to experience that. 

Just a few pics we got. 

CB58-C128-87-F0-4945-8-CA3-43438-D2-B4-A

66-F794-A6-4030-4-EB5-A033-E9-BBE24-DE6-

779916-A8-9547-4-A64-AAB6-6227336-BE1-AA

Edited by Lloyd90
Added pictures.

30 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Wonderful write up, rifle looks 👌

thanks mate :)

8 minutes ago, Modafinale said:

Ive got two model 7’s nice little rifles

What have you got?

Half tempted to get rid of my 243 and get another one in 243, very light, short action, light weight mod and nice easy scope ... not sure why you'd need a big heavy beast tbh :/ 

I carried it on and off for several hours and hardly felt it :) 

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

Wonder what the other side looked like

I didn’t post it as it’s a bit gruesome and I thought those pics are generally frowned upon on here. 

When I cut up the front end at the old fellas for him the meat damage around that side was actually not that bad, most of the meat was fine, I think the bullet just entered on the side of the body and took out several ribs going forwards so it looked a bit more explosive that it actually was 🤔

I’ll tell you now though, you wouldn’t want to get hit by one of them 🤣... it certainly stops them dead in their tracks. I am hoping one of the lads is going to sort out a shot on a wild boar so it should be ideal for the big *******. 

Enjoyed the good write up.

A couple of points, Lloyd:

1. Please don’t think the .308 is some sort of magic killer.( I have used one for 30 years.) If you don’t put the bullet in the right place, it doesn’t matter what calibre it is.

2. Don’t take end on body shots at deer.

Well done - persistence paid off - sometimes it is far more satisfying to have to work hard for a buck rather than turn up , walk down the first hedgerow and be gralloching almost before you have arrived.

Also shows that you do not need to spend a fortune to have a perfectly good setup - the deer really do not mind.

Best pics of venison on social media available for all to see are ones like these

sausages.jpg

3 hours ago, London Best said:

Enjoyed the good write up.

A couple of points, Lloyd:

1. Please don’t think the .308 is some sort of magic killer.( I have used one for 30 years.) If you don’t put the bullet in the right place, it doesn’t matter what calibre it is.

2. Don’t take end on body shots at deer.

Yes mate it was a good experience and learning opportunity. 

Don't think I'd take an end on shoot at a deer again after that. Saying that mind it was incredibly effective. 

What do you normally use your 308 for? :) 

3 hours ago, 243deer said:

Well done - persistence paid off - sometimes it is far more satisfying to have to work hard for a buck rather than turn up , walk down the first hedgerow and be gralloching almost before you have arrived.

Also shows that you do not need to spend a fortune to have a perfectly good setup - the deer really do not mind.

Best pics of venison on social media available for all to see are ones like these

sausages.jpg

Now they look good :) I have just spent some time butchers the back legs and am going to get them through my mates mincer tomorrow. Do you add any fat such as pork belly? 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes mate it was a good experience and learning opportunity. 

Don't think I'd take an end on shoot at a deer again after that. Saying that mind it was incredibly effective. 

What do you normally use your 308 for?  

Now they look good  I have just spent some time butchers the back legs and am going to get them through my mates mincer tomorrow. Do you add any fat such as pork belly? 

thanks  

Lloyd, I have used my .308 for deer since 1989, plus odd foxes whilst stalking. I regularly take fallow, roe and muntjac with it, but have also used it on reds and one sika. I have never shot Chinese water deer. The .308 has also been to Africa with me a few times and taken various antelope up to Kudu size and plenty of Warthogs. Maybe six hundred animals altogether?

End on shots are incredibly effective but can ruin an entire carcass. Don’t do it unless all you want is the trophy. It can make you unwelcome in many places.

For butchering I would only ever mince the front end or trimmings, certainly not the back legs or back straps. Makes great cottage pies or savoury mince. As a sausage lover IMO venison sausages are a waste of good venison, but yes, you do need lots of pork belly.

Edited by London Best

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Now they look good  I have just spent some time butchers the back legs and am going to get them through my mates mincer tomorrow. Do you add any fat such as pork belly? 

I add 1/3 pork belly, malden sea salt, ground black pepper and ground juniper berry + water to aid putting the mix into the skins. Nothing else as I have friends that all seem to have one intolerance or other so they appreciate something to eat where all the ingredients are known. They do come out a tad dry as I course grind them only once (8mm plate) and there is no carrier for moisture / fat retention but once they are put in a roll with all the usual accompaniments no-one seems to mind.