Which rifle

bostonmick

I am looking to get a rifle primarily for rats at my hen houses . I have seen two that are  as new a bsa r10 mk 1 and a day state hunter regal. Both have sights and mod both .22 the bsa is 150 cheaper my question is which would best suit my needs I do not envisage doing a large amount of shooting with it but want reliability.tia

For the occasional rat shot .a break barrel airgun is hard to beat ..

They are fast to load and always ready. 

Underleavers are slow and often front heavy .

If you want multishot look at the gamo fusion .

Most rat shots are pretty close range ..and no ,the sights will be fine on a recoiling gun ..

I have a veritable airgun arsenal at my disposal. But when a squirrel or rat ventures into my garden i reach for my bsa lightening xl in .22 to get the job done .i keep its hobby pellets in a stock pouch on gun so its always ready to go .

No checking if its full of air or loading mags first .

As a ratting gun ? 

Pros .

Its a springer so no need to pump  (fill ) it up first .

Its well made and potentially accurate. 

Cons . 

Its heavy .especially at the muzzle 

Its quite long  

Its slowest to reload in a rush

There are much better guns suited to ratting ..if your after rabbits also then a hw 97 could be ok .as rabbits often  allow a slower approach to taking the shot .and longer range accuracy is always needed for bunnies. 

If your considering night vision or lamping in the future  then forget springers completely  you will need a recoiless pcp .

Edited by Ultrastu

i have a few springers here and cpl pcps and cpl nv kits or cpl old lamp kits if your still looking ?

Bsa Lightning XL Tactical

Sussex Armoury Jackal Hi Power

Gamo Coyote

Hatsan Arms AT44

also have pump or few 300bar bottles

Edited by ant.mass

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, have you found anything Mick , I have a nice 22 PCP, in 22

I have not found one yet and to be honest I am getting confused with what is out there. I will probably end up going with a springer as I am not going to do any shooting of rabbits only a few rats

On 19/08/2020 at 17:32, bostonmick said:

I have not found one yet and to be honest I am getting confused with what is out there. I will probably end up going with a springer as I am not going to do any shooting of rabbits only a few rats

Hello, ok look at the  HW 99 S in 22  needs scope/mounts and silencer or the HW 95 K in 22 needs a scope and mounts, Hawke Vantage are good, would suggest 1 piece mount, 

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ok look at the  HW 99 S in 22  needs scope/mounts and silencer or the HW 95 K in 22 needs a scope and mounts, Hawke Vantage are good, would suggest 1 piece mount, 

As above , but the HW95 k Would be my choice . (Gun for life).  It will do want you want it to , 'long term'.