Duty of Care.

fatchap

I rant about my employment a lot. They are a joke as well so know where your coming from, but as you know, ****** bosses like that generally stay legal. 

In the last 2 days of this intensive heat, we've been moaned at about wearing shorts, on tractors (I might add they don't have aircon and I can guarantee it's a lot hotter in that). Anyway they ain't uniform. Nor is taking your t-shirt off. Or 1 bloke having a break whilst filling his bowser, acceptable. 

Ive now decided (or did a few weeks ago) to take the complete ****, as I originally loved my job, and i done loads of free extra hours (lockdown for example I was the only one going in for weeks). They treat you like **** they will get ****. Council for you. I've had plenty of jobs where I was treated like gold, and I gave everything I had back. Now I get docked hours even if it's a work based injury I'm off to get fixed. Can't wait to leave but it's not the market to leave atm 

2 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I rant about my employment a lot. They are a joke as well so know where your coming from, but as you know, ****** bosses like that generally stay legal. 

In the last 2 days of this intensive heat, we've been moaned at about wearing shorts, on tractors (I might add they don't have aircon and I can guarantee it's a lot hotter in that). Anyway they ain't uniform. Nor is taking your t-shirt off. Or 1 bloke having a break whilst filling his bowser, acceptable. 

Ive now decided (or did a few weeks ago) to take the complete ****, as I originally loved my job, and i done loads of free extra hours (lockdown for example I was the only one going in for weeks). They treat you like **** they will get ****. Council for you. I've had plenty of jobs where I was treated like gold, and I gave everything I had back. Now I get docked hours even if it's a work based injury I'm off to get fixed. Can't wait to leave but it's not the market to leave atm 

If you really do "work to rule" you will probably get offered a promotion!

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If you really do "work to rule" you will probably get offered a promotion!

You know strange you say that, I know of 2 useless whatsits who have been promoted as they didn't know what to do with them. Nice guys but useless at their jobs so got promoted to get them out their office into somebody else's. 

This is the only job I've ever had where I haven't been promoted, and not from being useless. They did offer a team leader role a while back, but it was for the same money. No thanks. 

Ill never get on with the council now, they like **** kissing too much, im not into that. If it's a **** idea I tell them it's a **** idea (maybe with a alternative, depends on how much they've wound me up). 

As for open reach, I've not heard much bad stuff said against them tbh. In fact when there was a shortage of engineers in west wales a few years ago, I met a bunch of lads that were getting paid a fortune from Birmingham to come down and work. They were singing their praises. 

Edited by strimmer_13

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

You know strange you say that, I know of 2 useless whatsits who have been promoted as they didn't know what to do with them. Nice guys but useless at their jobs so got promoted to get them out their office into somebody else's. 

This is the only job I've ever had where I haven't been promoted, and not from being useless. They did offer a team leader role a while back, but it was for the same money. No thanks. 

Ill never get on with the council now, they like **** kissing too much, im not into that. If it's a **** idea I tell them it's a **** idea (maybe with a alternative, depends on how much they've wound me up). 

Yes we have lost our Leader through retirement, the management decided we should continue as a team of 6 equals, the company saves a few quid and we are expected to sort things out for no extra money. I now do just what i have to to avoid getting called to account for anything. Just need this to last a few more years.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes we have lost our Leader through retirement, the management decided we should continue as a team of 6 equals, the company saves a few quid and we are expected to sort things out for no extra money. I now do just what i have to to avoid getting called to account for anything. Just need this to last a few more years.

Good luck and keep your head down 👍

20 hours ago, Gordon R said:

About 10 years ago, one of my staff came to see me to say he needed to go home. He was more than a bit upset and could barely get words out. I told him to go home, do whatever he needed to do and contact me when he was able. I said it doesn't have to be today, tomorrow or the day after - just go.

He phoned the day after - it turned out his wife had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. 

When he returned to work, I told him I was interested in what he produced over a year, not just one or two days when he needed to be elsewhere.

Staff are a precious resource and if you want to get the most out of them, treat them properly. If you treat them badly, your results take a turn for the worse.

Well said that man...

A good few years back when I was a delivery driver (7.5 tonne) on a trip to Sheffield carrying a full load of stillages full of clutch facings  on the A1 at scotch corner a disco pulling a twin axle caravan came down the entry slip road so on seeing it I pulled into outside lane so he could enter the A1 but to my suprise / anger the muppet came down slip road across the now empty inside lane straight across into the outside lane and I jumped on the brakes of the ford cargo and otherwise I'd of had a caravan as a front end .. only for me to hear a load pop and lose my brake pedal ..

It had popped both front flexi pipes .

Thankfully I managed to avoid hitting him and had to make it across onto the hard shoulder ... the idiot in the disco disappeared into the distance . I walked back about a mile to the northbound garage and phoned the office to tell the boss what had happened .

His reply was can you get to Sheffield to get the load off .

I said you really want me to try with no brakes ?.

He said go back to the wagon and I'll see what I can sort out.

After walking back to garage three times in the 5 hours (and explaining to the police that the boss was sorting it I was told he'd gone home and told the Secretary the next time I rang in to sleep in cab and ring in morning ..... I was fuming... 

So I bought 2 pairs of mole grips clamped the front flexi pipes off waited until the road was really quiet and nursed it back to the yard ...

He rang me next morning and said "how did you get back " I told him and he again said could I not of managed to get to Sheffield to unload..... 

I left after another 6 weeks after another big row with him .