frozen meat for burgers

peejay

13 minutes ago, peejay said:

another burger question... i have frozen venison, can i defrost to mince and make burgers then re-freeze? would it be safe to cook after? thanks

Not really advisable. Meat can be defrosted, cooked and then refrozen, but not as you've mentioned. It probably wouldn't harm you, but it's not worth taking a chance.

Steve's right, and add the fact that minced meat is the worst for potential contamination I would avoid.

I defrosted a haunch the other week, broke it down into the various muscles and used it over the course of the next  7 or 8 days. It kept just fine, and I froze some of the cooked product for later.

I researched this a while ago when having a similar question about sausages.

What I learned was that many folks had no issues by using defrosted meat and using again after the sausages were frozen.

If you've good hygiene practices, and you make the burgers with the meat as cold as possible, and freeze again quickly I don't see an issue.

The reality is that much of the frozen processed meat available has been made from pre-frozen joints.

Ignore the first few replies they are talking rubbish.

What you are proposing is absolutely fine. 

I have done it many times before as have many many other sausage makers etc.  

Thaw, mince and process and re-freeze as soon as possible. 

Having worked in the freezer section at a large supermarket during my college years If you think that the meat you buy in the supermarket hasn't been frozen and thawed multiple times before you buy it you are naive.

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I researched this a while ago when having a similar question about sausages.

What I learned was that many folks had no issues by using defrosted meat and using again after the sausages were frozen.

If you've good hygiene practices, and you make the burgers with the meat as cold as possible, and freeze again quickly I don't see an issue.

The reality is that much of the frozen processed meat available has been made from pre-frozen joints.

This

It’s not best practice, but in truth I’ve done it with venison - butchered the deer and frozen everything then decided to convert a load to mince.  I wouldn’t Do it with pork or chicken though.  As the meat will mince better from part frozen, if you’re quick with the whole process you’ll be grand - just pop a couple of loo rolls in the fridge just in case, 😀