Aggression in a 3 yr old Lab male

Fuddster

Hi all,

Just want to run this by you guys and girls before the inevitable trip to the vets.

3 yr old black lab dog un-castrated-raised at home from a pup in company of a docile older black lab male-Never had any problems til these  week when he started growling quite nastily at the older dog and then me. He usually eats his food as quick as but this week has only has half before leaving it.

No change in diet, exercise and not on meds.

When told a big No 1 for growling he sits and shakes like he has been thrashed-which he hasn't.

Very loyal black shadow to me so I don't know if its a jealously thing mixed with the current heat wave or is testicle related?

any ideas welcome.

f.

Had the exact almost to the letter thing with my 4 year old lab back in Feb this year. He did actually bite my old lab and was aggressive towards the middle one and myself. Started with leaving food which never happened normally and then ended up not interested. After a about 3 days of this I took him to the vets turned out to have a stomach virus. Jab at vets plus tabs for a week and totally back to normal. Aggression totally gone. 
Probably suffering and just got cranky same as we do when ill. 

1st off we all have grumpy days, but how long it lasts is the thing & he may be poorly. Has he been socialized with other Dogs entire or not, We had 2 entire Labs, one was like a typical teenager on hormones the other really not bothered, It may be hormones, remember what you were like as a teenager ???

There is a chemical castration (no affect after it wears off) that lasts for around 5-6 months and takes around 3-4 weeks to fully kick in you could try that, you will then see if its his gonads that are causing the problems. 

31 minutes ago, Dougy said:

1st off we all have grumpy days, but how long it lasts is the thing & he may be poorly. Has he been socialized with other Dogs entire or not, We had 2 entire Labs, one was like a typical teenager on hormones the other really not bothered, It may be hormones, remember what you were like as a teenager

There is a chemical castration (no affect after it wears off) that lasts for around 5-6 months and takes around 3-4 weeks to fully kick in you could try that, you will then see if its his gonads that are causing the problems. 

its been about three days now-no other dogs outside the home.

cheers

f

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

First get him checked over by a competent vet.

If the issue is solely about food then can try some stuff like hand feeding to see if that stops resource guarding type issues. 

its not just food-even if the other dog come close he growls then when I tell him No! he cowers and shakes. The weather has turned cooler her today so I'll how he is.

cheers 

f.

I am had a similar problem with my springer a few years ago and was advised to have him castrated by my Vet. This did not cure the problem, in fact if anything he became worse. When I moved house and got a new Vet he said that castrating a dig to cure aggression does not work. So what ever you decide to do research the issue first

I'd just 2nd or 3rd wot others have said trip to get for a general health test.

Not a great believer in castration curing any behaviour problems,, 

As someone else said u can get a 'male pill' which does the same thing as castration for a few months at a time.

Althou do u plan to breed of the dog?

If no plans to breed off it not that big an issue but it might not cure anything.

On 13/08/2020 at 21:01, Fuddster said:

cheers lads for your comments-he was better today,ate his grub and minimal growling-long walk this morning and no hint of trouble-bowels etc appear to be fine.

thanks again

f

maybe maize sensertive ?

If you haven't already, you need to get that dog straight to the vets, almost certainly something wrong, even if he stops, it could be something like a spleen tumour which ruptures every now and then causing acute pain and goes away for a bit, if it is something like that however it will get worse and if left will almost certainly be untreatable. Sooner you go the better.

Thanks all,

ran him to the vets-physically all ok which is a relief. Spoke to the vet who does a lot of work with behavioural side of dogs-basically, the dog was in kennels for four nights at the beginning of August- so that has most likely brought on some anxiety, along with last weeks heat wave and been in his teenage years.

cheers again for all comments.

f.