This is the way to do it...

Mightymariner

So recently I have been out many times and, despite finding lots of pigeons, having disappointing times (see talk from the field).

Anyway, my new tactic this week was not to waste half a day looking for pigeons and just go somewhere at 5pm, if I found some, set up and have a couple of hours of fun. That way I could still work at home and achieve something during the day.

So, Monday that's what I did.

I headed out just before 5pm to some local rape stubbles. Lots of pigeons across three fields. (shame JDog was not available).

Anyway, I set up in the furthest field which, on the top of a hill which I thought would be useful in pulling in birds heading from the nearby town. It was away from a large group of pigeons working the first field, but I considered them to be undecoyable.

What a nice couple of hours I had. Some birds decoyed.....and those that did decoyed brilliantly, dropping in from height, wings back and in. Others came over my back and had a look at the decoys, providing the odd shot.

I packed up at 7.30pm and picked a dozen birds, losing two.

I left to the picture above, the sun slipping low over the misty fields.

IMG_1262.jpg

I look a lot at that sort of time as I often squeeze in recce’s with going home from work but have never set up so late. 
That was worth your while though and a pleasant couple of hours no doubt, without having to sit around for hours with no shooting! 
Maybe I should as have shot 50 plus countless times after 5 o clock when I’ve been out for the afternoon, often a second wave will come in for a later feed at this time of year. 

Edited by Wilts#Dave

On 13/08/2020 at 14:47, Mightymariner said:

So recently I have been out many times and, despite finding lots of pigeons, having disappointing times (see talk from the field).

Anyway, my new tactic this week was not to waste half a day looking for pigeons and just go somewhere at 5pm, if I found some, set up and have a couple of hours of fun. That way I could still work at home and achieve something during the day.

So, Monday that's what I did.

I headed out just before 5pm to some local rape stubbles. Lots of pigeons across three fields. (shame JDog was not available).

Anyway, I set up in the furthest field which, on the top of a hill which I thought would be useful in pulling in birds heading from the nearby town. It was away from a large group of pigeons working the first field, but I considered them to be undecoyable.

What a nice couple of hours I had. Some birds decoyed.....and those that did decoyed brilliantly, dropping in from height, wings back and in. Others came over my back and had a look at the decoys, providing the odd shot.

I packed up at 7.30pm and picked a dozen birds, losing two.

I left to the picture above, the sun slipping low over the misty fields.

IMG_1262.jpg

Nice report and photo to match MM , when you are short of time and still want a couple of hours you tend to try any tactic and you had a pleasant short spell with a good bit of sport with more than enough for your needs .

Strangely enough I have found lately if you start shooting around dinner time it more or less come to a full stop from between 4 30 and 5 .00 , which work in nicely with the time I would normally pack up . if they had been left alone all day then your tactic might give you a bit longer if you set up late in the afternoon .

GOOD LUCK and hopefully all your painting is now completed,  you can now put your feet up and watch it dry :good:

37 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Nice report and photo to match MM , when you are short of time and still want a couple of hours you tend to try any tactic and you had a pleasant short spell with a good bit of sport with more than enough for your needs .

Strangely enough I have found lately if you start shooting around dinner time it more or less come to a full stop from between 4 30 and 5 .00 , which work in nicely with the time I would normally pack up . if they had been left alone all day then your tactic might give you a bit longer if you set up late in the afternoon .

GOOD LUCK and hopefully all your painting is now completed,  you can now put your feet up and watch it dry :good:

Thankyou.

I always feel guilty disappearing off for hours so this way works quite well.

It will all change as the nights draw in more though.

Painting almost done, then I have to make some shelves for her!