Grouse shooting article in the Sun

B725

To the Sun printed an article about grouse shooting and every single bit was factually incorrect, even down to they shoot slow flying heavy bird's at 8 yards. I have sent an email to editorial complaints telling them about it and Rod Liddle who wrote it was just too lazy to check the facts and was just pushing his own anti shooting agenda. 

Lets see if I get a reply. 

Edited by B725

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basc should consider legal action for libel, if that is possible as other rubbish about lead poisoning children from game meat is all so on the guardian website https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/10/children-are-at-risk-from-game-shot-with-lead

one by one, Sun, BBC, Guardian.... they are miss using their medium to attack legal shooting.

we need a legal win so they think twice about what they publish.

25 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Basc should consider legal action for libel, if that is possible as other rubbish about lead poisoning children from game meat is all so on the guardian website https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/10/children-are-at-risk-from-game-shot-with-lead

one by one, Sun, BBC, Guardian.... they are miss using their medium to attack legal shooting.

Cant wait to see BASC take them to court ... think I might hold my breath whilst I wait for it to happen 👀🤣🤣🤣

25 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Exactly this. Hit them where it hurts. Our orgs have this fighting fund, put it to good use. Don't go after them for money, make them print a full front page retraction and apology. 

There was an article in another paper (? the mail?).  The main article was not particularly 'pro or anti' mainly saying that it was the start of the season, affected by heather beetle, ticks and showing beaters having their temperatures taken and wearing masks etc, but the comments were virtually all 'anti'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8619659/Shooting-parties-Yorkshire-Dales-grouse-season-gets-underway.html

One comment even went into how the birds were reared in cramped cages before being released!  Utter lies, but the comments are submitted by 'the public' and the 'antis' stir the public up.

Wonder why I read the Daily Telegraph ???   They printed three articles, one front page and all factual and supportive.  They of course did include the heather beetle problem but that was purely to indicate that grouse numbers where still good even so and shooting would not go ahead if numbers where low. Also included a bit about local business/people benfitting although with covid this year less overseas visitors will be coming.

August 12, the Glorious Twelfth, marks the start of the grouse shooting seasonCredit: Getty - Contributor
This is when City boys and braying toffs take to the grouse moors and start blasting away at anything that moves. Especially grouse. 

Slow, heavy birds. Not very bright. Hard to miss them from eight yards with a 12-bore, even if you’re a halfwit.

It’s a bad day for the rest of us, too. And for our countryside. 

Grouse moors take up an astonishing eight per cent of our land. And yet they are kept solely for the grouse and the 40,000 or so numpties who try to shoot them every year.

As a result, these moorlands are almost entirely devoid of wildlife. Just barren deserts full of heather and nothing else.

And the gamekeepers burn the heather every spring – just when any songbirds might be nesting. The rest of their time is taken up shooting or trapping our most beautiful and endangered birds of prey.

This is the tripe that was written.

And the gamekeepers burn the heather every spring – just when any songbirds might be nesting.

Yep. There's a whole host of British ground nesting songbirds....

And those birds that actually do ground nest are predated on by the SAME animals that predate on grouse because....would you know...grouse are also ground nesting birds. And the next, perhaps, biggest threat to those birds that are ground nesting are humans and humans with dogs.

http://www.westcombe.org.uk/documents/appindex 04 cons site/gnb 2010.pdf

Edited by enfieldspares

2 minutes ago, B725 said:

I have had a reply from BASC just now they have also complained to the Sun newspaper. 

Good. I know in the big scheme of things little things such as this probably don’t even register on the spectrum of most people’s daily lives, but to those of us who shoot, and are constantly vilified for doing so, it is very important.

I sometimes come across all manner of falsehoods regarding shooting and related topics, both mistakenly so and deliberate, on some of the social media I take part in as part of my artwork, and it riles me. I always respond, to the point where the debate can get quite heated, and my OH constantly says I should just ignore it, but I can’t, simply because if you let an untruth, whether innocent or malicious, slide by without pointing out the truth, then the lie is believed by those who know no better, and who aren’t given the truth or even an alternative viewpoint. 
It is important. 

1 hour ago, David BASC said:

See this our very positive pro grouse shooting media campaign https://basc.org.uk/bascs-simply-glorious-adverts-explained/

at the risk of hearing the sad tired old bash tune had basc NOT rubbed the nose of joe public in something he can’t afford to do and further turn him against shooting the sun would not be beating us if it’s beyond basc to connect with those who like page three and del boy the rush to leave will continue 

So if BASC say nothing you moan, If BASC runs a proactive shooting campaign you moan.

Perhaps people like you do not know or do not care about the bigger picture of grouse shooting in the UK, its benefits to the working man in the local community for example, or the even bigger picture that the majority of the worlds heather moorland supporting  red grouse is in the UK, or that the biological diversity of managed moorland is far greater than that which is not managed for shooting.

Sadly you and people like you have an agenda to attack BASC regardless of what we do, 

7 minutes ago, David BASC said:

So if BASC say nothing you moan, If BASC runs a proactive shooting campaign you moan.

Perhaps people like you do not know or do not care about the bigger picture of grouse shooting in the UK, its benefits to the working man in the local community for example, or the even bigger picture that the majority of the worlds heather moorland supporting  red grouse is in the UK, or that the biological diversity of managed moorland is far greater than that which is not managed for shooting.

Sadly you and people like you have an agenda to attack BASC regardless of what we do, 

if you stop crying for a minute get your self to the local council estate find a couple of pigeon shooters and put something together that appeals to more than just hooray henry and jeeves you might get somewhere at worst we would stop looking like a bunch of toffs annoying the public it’s not rocket science to connect with people 

7 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if you stop crying for a minute get your self to the local council estate find a couple of pigeon shooters and put something together that appeals to more than just hooray henry and jeeves you might get somewhere at worst we would stop looking like a bunch of toffs annoying the public it’s not rocket science to connect with people 

Not happening , no money in it .

Henry and Jeeves on the other hand will spend plenty to have the experience of grouse shooting.
The best customers are the ones that spend the most dosh unfortunately.