Nobel Peace Prize For Trump?

Danger-Mouse

National security adviser Robert O’Brien said Thursday that President Trump should be the front-runner for the Nobel Peace Prize because of his work in the Middle East and the agreement announced Thursday between Israel and the United Arab Emirates.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/trump-should-be-front-runner-for-nobel-peace-prize-obrien/

Honestly I think he is far more deserving than Obomber, sorry Obama.

Whatever you think of Trump he is no hawk, much preferring to make his displeasure known through financial punishments rather than blasting you out of existence with a barrage of Cruise missiles. First US president to visit North Korea. 

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/trump-wins-the-nobel-prize-for-israel-uae-peace-deal-not/

As the second article says, 

"None of this is true, of course, nor will any of it ever transpire. But it would be true if there were any justice in global affairs — or at least, if good sense reigned among the men and women who preemptively awarded a Peace Prize to Obama."

20 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

National security adviser Robert O’Brien said Thursday that President Trump should be the front-runner for the Nobel Peace Prize because of his work in the Middle East and the agreement announced Thursday between Israel and the United Arab Emirates.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/trump-should-be-front-runner-for-nobel-peace-prize-obrien/

Honestly I think he is far more deserving than Obomber, sorry Obama.

Whatever you think of Trump he is no hawk, much preferring to make his displeasure known through financial punishments rather than blasting you out of existence with a barrage of Cruise missiles. First US president to visit North Korea. 

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/trump-wins-the-nobel-prize-for-israel-uae-peace-deal-not/

As the second article says, 

"None of this is true, of course, nor will any of it ever transpire. But it would be true if there were any justice in global affairs — or at least, if good sense reigned among the men and women who preemptively awarded a Peace Prize to Obama."

A Nobel Peace Prize for a phone call? No. The groundwork for this has been going on for decades (none of it by Trump) and has not suddenly come out of thin air. Trump's just asked them to push it over the line. It's unlikely to have any serious positive ramifications for peace in the Middle East, it just turns the tension in a new direction - and risks a lot more. It also legitimises the land thefts by Israel in West Bank; there's no mention of removal of the settlements, it's just a promise they won't do any more (we'll see...). Instead it's further enraged the Palestinians (no prizes for guessing how Hamas will respond and how Israel will respond to that response and how Hamas will respond to that response and...and.... ), it's caused Turkey to threaten to cut ties with the UAE and could also push it to reconsider its neutrality towards Israel. There's no love lost there and any germinating diplomatic animosity between Turkey and Israel will please at least one nation: Iran.

I'm not saying this will make things worse, I'm just saying it won't have much of a positive effect at all. As far as Israel is concerned, the UAE isn't actually a terribly important player: they have no border or land disputes with the UAE and there's no nuclear arms consideration. It looks like it's more a favour to the US - to a president in an election year who badly needs a bit of good news and Israel would have been happy to oblige considering how much it's gained over the Palestinians since Trump's been in power. Meanwhile the street level Palestinians are burning effigies of Netanyahu with shoe prints on them and the Palestinian lawyers are saying it's yet another example of the West telling them what's good for them, without ever actually asking what's good for them. Real, seismic, long-lasting peace achievements are incredibly rare these days. There are staggeringly few examples where this has happened, but it's for those sorts of things that deserve Peace Prizes.

20 hours ago, ditchman said:

if Yang sang syushi.............got a nobel ..........trump should get 1/2 doz gold plated ones.......

She probably deserved to get one - and definitely deserves to have it taken away. She sabotaged her own legacy, which has killed any real political reform in Myanmar

12 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

A Nobel Peace Prize for a phone call? No. The groundwork for this has been going on for decades (none of it by Trump) and has not suddenly come out of thin air. Trump's just asked them to push it over the line. It's unlikely to have any serious positive ramifications for peace in the Middle East, it just turns the tension in a new direction - and risks a lot more. It also legitimises the land thefts by Israel in West Bank; there's no mention of removal of the settlements, it's just a promise they won't do any more (we'll see...). Instead it's further enraged the Palestinians (no prizes for guessing how Hamas will respond and how Israel will respond to that response and how Hamas will respond to that response and...and.... ), it's caused Turkey to threaten to cut ties with the UAE and could also push it to reconsider its neutrality towards Israel. There's no love lost there and any germinating diplomatic animosity between Turkey and Israel will please at least one nation: Iran.

I'm not saying this will make things worse, I'm just saying it won't have much of a positive effect at all. As far as Israel is concerned, the UAE isn't actually a terribly important player: they have no border or land disputes with the UAE and there's no nuclear arms consideration. It looks like it's more a favour to the US - to a president in an election year who badly needs a bit of good news and Israel would have been happy to oblige considering how much it's gained over the Palestinians since Trump's been in power. Meanwhile the street level Palestinians are burning effigies of Netanyahu with shoe prints on them and the Palestinian lawyers are saying it's yet another example of the West telling them what's good for them, without ever actually asking what's good for them. Real, seismic, long-lasting peace achievements are incredibly rare these days. There are staggeringly few examples where this has happened, but it's for those sorts of things that deserve Peace Prizes.

She probably deserved to get one - and definitely deserves to have it taken away. She sabotaged her own legacy, which has killed any real political reform in Myanmar

All good points, however what did Obama do that was so deserving? What made Blair so good he became peace envoy to the middle East. I think (op correct me if I'm wrong) the point is not what's been achieved, just how left and bias the establishment is.

4 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

A Nobel Peace Prize for a phone call?

They nominated Obama after he had been in office for 11 days. He barely had time to even make a phone call. Let's be honest though his acceptance speech should have been written by Ali G "Is it because I is black?".

Honestly I don't know enough about the situation to make an educated response to what you've said. I mainly put up the thread because it was an interesting piece of news. I do think that Trump is one, if not the, least hawkish presidents in my lifetime. Yes he has blustered occasionally but rarely follows through. He is the first US president to visit North Korea and that alone makes him a more worthy recipient than Obama.

I thought much of what was said in the second NYT article was bang on the money. 

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

All good points, however what did Obama do that was so deserving? What made Blair so good he became peace envoy to the middle East. I think (op correct me if I'm wrong) the point is not what's been achieved, just how left and bias the establishment is.

I already covered Obama, and don't get me started on the appointment of a war criminal as a peace envoy!

Yes, the establishment is far too left wing to ever put Trump forward. I'm a little surprised to see an article from the NYT favouring Trump, they are after all somewhat left leaning. All credit to them though for publishing that piece.

7 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

They nominated Obama after he had been in office for 11 days. He barely had time to even make a phone call. Let's be honest though his acceptance speech should have been written by Ali G "Is it because I is black?".

Honestly I don't know enough about the situation to make an educated response to what you've said. I mainly put up the thread because it was an interesting piece of news. I do think that Trump is one, if not the, least hawkish presidents in my lifetime. Yes he has blustered occasionally but rarely follows through. He is the first US president to visit North Korea and that alone makes him a more worthy recipient than Obama.

I thought much of what was said in the second NYT article was bang on the money. 

I'm not sure he deserved one either. What had he done up to the point of winning it?

New York POST not Times! All the difference in the world

Oh. Didn't see Blair pop up, sorry 12Gauge82. Two words: Ludicrous appointment.

39 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Blair was asked to leave Israel....as he was spending more time dealing with Tesco's arrangement with him in setting up new branches...than with Hamas or the peace process..

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

I'm not sure he deserved one either. What had he done up to the point of winning it?

New York POST not Times! All the difference in the world

Oh. Didn't see Blair pop up, sorry 12Gauge82. Two words: Ludicrous appointment.

As I said, he'd only been in office 11 days when the panel nominated him so I'm guessing not much.

Ooops, yes you are correct. My bad! Thought it was a bit strange!

You are right he is not a hawk he is a idiot, North Korea played him for a fool, Trump for Nobel Peace Prize LOL. 

On 15/08/2020 at 10:22, chrisjpainter said:

Typical reply from a snowflake.

29 minutes ago, ordnance said:

You are right he is not a hawk he is a idiot, North Korea played him for a fool, Trump for Nobel Peace Prize LOL. 

A billionaire fool by the way.

35 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Trump is many things but he is not an idiot. You don't get to be president of the most powerful nation on earth and a billionaire to boot without having some level of intelligence. Dr Jordan Peterson certainly doesn't believe he is an idiot.

Whether N Korea played him or not is somewhat irrelevant. He was the first US President to set foot on their soil and he at least made an effort. There always has to be someone willing to take a risk to start a peace process. Given your location you should appreciate that more than most. Maybe his visit will be little more than a footnote in the history books, or maybe it will be seen as the first step that lead to eventual peace.

There's little doubt he won't get the Nobel prize but given how the media treats him he could cure cancer and end world poverty and the orange man would still be bad.