Another decking thread

JKD

Hi guys and gals, I'm going to build a small area [8Msq] of decking in my 'bijou' garden and my question is about the boards.

I'd like to use hardwood boards that slightly silver with age. I've done a search but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Anyone got any ideas on this please ?

TIA 😉

Edited by JKD

As above, whether with soft or hard wood. I would clear the ground, apply a layer of gravel, ordinary concreting gravel would be fine. Then set the boards at least 6 to 8 inches above this on tanalised supports and leave the sides open to the air flow.  Properly tanalised fence posts are supposed to go for 25yrs.  

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

As above, whether with soft or hard wood. I would clear the ground, apply a layer of gravel, ordinary concreting gravel would be fine. Then set the boards at least 6 to 8 inches above this on tanalised supports and leave the sides open to the air flow.  Properly tanalised fence posts are supposed to go for 25yrs.  

Cheers for the advice but all that I already know, being in the building game for 40 years your knowledge base is broad,,,, as you probably well know 😉

58 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

iroko, ipe, balou. obviously look great oiled, but it is expensive to keep them well oiled. mine is silvering nicely now, (8 years old) pressure washed twice a year

Thanks eggy, that's what I'm after,,,, nicely aged silvered boards as time goes on. Built many decks and laid many many [ordinary] boards for other people but only one for myself, just before selling the house so never got to use it 😏

Thanks for the help so far 🙂

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I gave up on my wood decking after a few years. Never had rats before but they do like to breed/live under decking. Also the wood surface, even grooved, gets greasy and slippery in wet weather.

Just my personal experience.

A pest controller friend of mine said the same. Said that rats consider decking to be the rat equivalent of 5 star hotels. 

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

I gave up on my wood decking after a few years. Never had rats before but they do like to breed/live under decking. Also the wood surface, even grooved, gets greasy and slippery in wet weather.

Just my personal experience.

+1 I ripped ours after a few years, just my opinion decking looks bloody cheap & nasty.

12 hours ago, jonny long shanks said:

It's possible to allow air flow and also make it rat proof. When the costs are weighed up hardwood against composite. I'd go for composite 

I fitted some composite boards at my bosses house, quite expensive stuff even with a good discount. Looks OK but is twisting and warping even after we fixed it with the products own fixings and to their recommendations. So that's not for me.

12 hours ago, jonny long shanks said:

It's possible to allow air flow and also make it rat proof. When the costs are weighed up hardwood against composite. I'd go for composite 

I don't understand this obsession with "air flow" under decking,,,, the expansion gaps between the boards creates that surely 🤔

And as for rats and 5* hotel deck space,,,, I'm sure they are all sitting around with packed suitcases, waiting for decks to be constructed so they've got somewhere to stay 😂

8 hours ago, team tractor said:

All hardwood will go silver 👍
we make it if you get stuck finding it. 

Many thanks for that offer, I'll bear that in mind 👍 As I said, I only need 8 sq metres, so is that something you could get to me in Kent ? Obviously costs matter 😉

16 minutes ago, JKD said:

I fitted some composite boards at my bosses house, quite expensive stuff even with a good discount. Looks OK but is twisting and warping even after we fixed it with the products own fixings and to their recommendations. So that's not for me.

I don't understand this obsession with "air flow" under decking,,,, the expansion gaps between the boards creates that surely 🤔

And as for rats and 5* hotel deck space,,,, I'm sure they are all sitting around with packed suitcases, waiting for decks to be constructed so they've got somewhere to stay 😂

Many thanks for that offer, I'll bear that in mind 👍 As I said, I only need 8 sq metres, so is that something you could get to me in Kent ? Obviously costs matter 😉

Haulage isn’t to bad