Why Can't People Tell It As It Is?

wymberley

Or if they've made a bit of a boo boo just say so.

The damned arthritis has come home to roost - one reason why I bought the R-10 mentioned elsewhere is because I can no longer cock the springer. Then, yesterday, I had real trouble opening one of the shotguns - 20 shots at pigeon was enough. So, tomorrow I'm off to have a look at one with a view to purchase. Bit of a gamble as it's a 5 hour round trip and c6 gallons of fuel and as yet I don't know what I'm looking at. I'm told it weighs just 6 lbs, has a Kickeez pad and comes in the makers case. All should be well as the bumpth says all photos are of rhe actual gun. Well, in 6 photos I can't see a pad and the makers case is possibly the one supplied by the initial retailer - perhaps. And after explaining the reason for being a tad pedantic about the weight, it seems it's 6&1/4 pounds. The one(without the pad) in the photo has avery nice curved grain but apparently the actual one is straight.

I'm going to go as if it turns out OK it should solve my problem, but surely advertising a gun can't be all that difficult.

Mini rant over.

57 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Are you on Steroids? I take a tiny 5mg Prednisolone every other day and it keeps the pain away - if I'm going out with a Shotgun or going to be doing some kind of strenuous task, I just double the dose.

Never again, they addled me brain and I put on 3 stone - still haven't got it all off. My first two treatments were a disaster and then covid19 struck. I was put on the max daily dose of paracetamol which does make a difference in addition to the third treatment, but as soon as is possible I need to speak to my consultant.

I know what your going through and arthritis is a nightmere and did the rounds on herbs, lotions and potions then on a shoot last year a very elderly friend told me he had be using a gel the sportspeople use but it's expensive but cheap because it works. . . . .my initial reaction. . . yeah yeah yeah but thought this wise old owl had been through the mincer and was raving about it so off I march and started to use it, nothing for the first week or ten days then the benefits have been fantastic sir. . . . try it. . . the secret is to use a very small slither and I mean small but twice a day am/pm and let it evaporate DO NOT UNDERR ANY CIRCUMSTANCE rub it in

Google ' flexiseq '

If used as I say the tube will last months n months and if you stay with the routine benefits are great, everyone I@ve told has had benefits when their arthritis is well advanced.

Good luck and hope it works for you sir

Be careful in going down in gun weight too much, the lighter the gun, the heavier the recoil. I too have arthritic problems in my right shoulder and into my neck. I use just paracetamol as and when needed. What I have found to be of benefit is a 12 bore Beretta 303 auto. The sporter model weighs around 7 lbs. and will cycle 24 gram cartridges without a problem. Twice a day, morning and afternoon I do my 'exercises'. Holding the gun at arms length, by the barrel and stock, I raise it above my head 10 times. A short breather and then practise gun mounting 10 times. I do this giving it 10 of each, with a short breather in between, for 5 minutes (usually 4 times of each exercise) at a time. I use a kitchen timer set at 5 minutes. Doing this twice a day during the entire lockdown period has certainly helped, to a degree whereby I am again using my 12 bore Browning which weighs 8 1/4lbs. Coupled with 24 gram cartridges, I am now able to shoot a 100 bird sporter once again. All of my guns are stored in those silicone sock things and I leave the gun in the sock whilst doing the exercises. This stops the gun from picking up fingermarks and possible rust.

I now have upped my game to using the sporter O/U for the exercises, it has really built up muscles that may have weakened through a lack of shooting.

Edited by Westley

a 28 bore now is my go to gun a cheapie Turkish gun      cant carry it for long       however not a lot gets away             my favorite a  b2g too heavy to carry and after 20min cant lift it                        ( fibromyalgia and neuropathy) exhausted and in pain   no amount of drugs help        determination and grit  gets me through  a jolly    however two or three days after a price to pay     not good      (i hurt all the time some days are worse)

Edited by Saltings

8 x 5mg's? - OMG - you must have ben buzzing. A 28G ,as mentioned above, is a lovely little gun yet throws half the load of a 12 - you can pick up a multi choke for 350 ish virtually as new. If you are anywhere near me (Bucks) you are welcome to try mine for a few days - these guns are light as a feather and recoil is all but non existant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2020 at 12:39, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, nice gesture 👍

It was indeed and many thanks to Washerboy for his extremely generous offer. Things have been somewhat chaotic since I first posted this and I've missed some of the later posts. My apologies. Fortunately, the decidedly traumatic trip to Salisbury paid off and my purchase has solved the problem I was having.

5 hours ago, wymberley said:

It was indeed and many thanks to Washerboy for his extremely generous offer. Things have been somewhat chaotic since I first posted this and I've missed some of the later posts. My apologies. Fortunately, the decidedly traumatic trip to Salisbury paid off and my purchase has solved the problem I was having.

Hello, well done wymberley, what did you buy? RFD ? 

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, well done wymberley, what did you buy? RFD ? 

Cheers.

Picked up a W&S 702 in truly unbelievable condition from '62. Somehow, it's still 1/2 by Full so the choice is mine. It' a 'Churchill XXV' version and comes in just over 6 Ibs which I can handle.

PS Pictures in the 'Club'.