International 454 engine swap

PeterHenry

Morning,

So, I have an International 454 that's been taken apart and then left in the open for a number of years by the previous owner - the front axel is at one end of the yard, the back end and engine at another - I was planning on trying to put it all back together, but the engine having been disassembled and exposed to the elements is beyond repair.....

So, having noted that the engine doubles as part of the chassis, and that I am also not willing to pay the approximate £2000 for the only engine I can find - I'm resigned to trying to find and put a diffrent engine in and use the fitting on the original engine to mount it.

I'm a rank amateur at this sort of thing - I'll happily hold my hands up to that - but I've inlisted a freind who is going to help. I've just got to narrow down what engine to put in - and - was wondering if by chance anyone here knew their way around International tractors well enough to be able to pluck the answer out of the ether?

Best,

Peter

A friend of mine who restores early Land Rovers bought an engine because it was a very rare early variant. The engine had stood exposed on a Derbyshire hillside for over forty years with no manifolds on. I thought he had no chance of even dismantling it as it was rusted solid. Three months later it was running. His secret was that he stood the engine in a fifty gallon drum of molasses for a month then took it out and it came apart very simply. That was a new one on me. I cannot imagine that your tractor engine can possibly be in a worse state than this one was.