22 WMR

BrowningDJC

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, oneshot1979 said:

First calibre I bought. Recommended by the FEO that was sorting my application, still have it 20 years later. Taken plenty of foxes with it 100yrds no bother 150yds with a bit of thinking. Wife even hit one running off with a chicken at 90 yards. 

How does it compare to a 22lr and 17hmr? 

My mate is thinking of getting one after all the issues that seem to be coming up with 17 split cases etc. 

I can’t remember the 17 having all these issues when it first came out. 

Yes I have one and a friend I shoot with has one too.  What one-shot said is spot-on  using the 30gr vmax  it’s noisier than the .22lr  because of the  Sonic crack  Point and shoot out to about 120 yards  The wind does affect the bullet a bit  but it’s fine when you get used to it,  The 30 grain V-max Is A nice round to Shoot  providing the rifle you buy likes them. I can’t compare it to the 17hmr  because I’ve never owned or shot one  regards Sf1

Compared to the .17HMR, the .22Mag’ is like lobbing in an artillery shell, and has already gone subsonic long before the HMR does....if it in fact does. 
Much louder than the .22lr, it is more of a ‘boom’ than a ‘crack‘, but hits like a small train. 
I used the 40 grn semi jacketed soft hollow points by Federal (?) and Winchester in my Ruger M 77. 
I really liked mine, but finally went back to the quieter lr. 

28 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Yes I have one and a friend I shoot with has one too.  What one-shot said is spot-on  using the 30gr vmax  it’s noisier than the .22lr  because of the  Sonic crack  Point and shoot out to about 120 yards  The wind does affect the bullet a bit  but it’s fine when you get used to it,  The 30 grain V-max Is A nice round to Shoot  providing the rifle you buy likes them. I can’t compare it to the 17hmr  because I’ve never owned or shot one  regards Sf1

How much is the ammo? 👍🏻

First off I've tried all breeds and weights through it and never had a miss fire, squib, split case or stuck bullet. Reliability is A1.

It is louder than both the .22lr firing HV and .17hmr but not much. A good moderator will bring the noise down but it will still have it's sonic crack, the ballistic tips tend to seem quieter than the hollow points. 

Having hit foxes with .22lr sub and HV at 70ish yards and watched them "walk on" before they drop I can honestly say that everyone that I've hit with either BT or hollow point .22WMR out to 120+ have dropped on the spot. There is always that satisfying thump on impact.

I've shot rabbits with friends who have .17HMR and have found that it's a tit for tat trade. The .17 has a better point blank range so point and shoot is quicker whilst I'm still compensating for drop off, but if you've got to rush a 150yd shot on a rabbit then your doing it wrong. When the wind gets up or the rain sets in though then the .22WMR shines, and that heavier bullet gives you the confidence to carry on PROVIDED you're experienced and calculating your shots. 

When the .17HMR first came out some of the range rats were all over it, it was like the second coming but when the new toys arrived and we all sat down to put it to paper my farmyard .22WMR CZ452 with a riflebasics trigger was grouping just as well as the Anschutz  beside me in .17HMR and the kicker was every time I pulled the bolt back the shell came with it. 

14 hours ago, oneshot1979 said:

First off I've tried all breeds and weights through it and never had a miss fire, squib, split case or stuck bullet. Reliability is A1.

It is louder than both the .22lr firing HV and .17hmr but not much. A good moderator will bring the noise down but it will still have it's sonic crack, the ballistic tips tend to seem quieter than the hollow points. 

Having hit foxes with .22lr sub and HV at 70ish yards and watched them "walk on" before they drop I can honestly say that everyone that I've hit with either BT or hollow point .22WMR out to 120+ have dropped on the spot. There is always that satisfying thump on impact.

I've shot rabbits with friends who have .17HMR and have found that it's a tit for tat trade. The .17 has a better point blank range so point and shoot is quicker whilst I'm still compensating for drop off, but if you've got to rush a 150yd shot on a rabbit then your doing it wrong. When the wind gets up or the rain sets in though then the .22WMR shines, and that heavier bullet gives you the confidence to carry on PROVIDED you're experienced and calculating your shots. 

When the .17HMR first came out some of the range rats were all over it, it was like the second coming but when the new toys arrived and we all sat down to put it to paper my farmyard .22WMR CZ452 with a riflebasics trigger was grouping just as well as the Anschutz  beside me in .17HMR and the kicker was every time I pulled the bolt back the shell came with it. 

I ask because I'm in the process of getting one. Are you saying that the WMR (with, say, a 33g Accutip) is less affected by the wind than a 17HMR?

Hi Guys , I had a a CZ 452 .17HMR , a lovely accurate thing , but where I shoot , it is very vulnerable to high gusty crosswinds , and the little 17 grain would wonder off a little ,despite the speed of the round. I changed to a CZ455 .22 WMR , using the 30g Hornady rounds and have been 'sold ' on this much underrated round . Although slower , I would say it doesn't get blown about as much. This may be different , for other people at other venues.

I love my Ruger 10/22 , for rabbits , but for any larger  quarry the WMR is great.

Edited by Longbower

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

I ask because I'm in the process of getting one. Are you saying that the WMR (with, say, a 33g Accutip) is less affected by the wind than a 17HMR?

Yup. In my experience in the field as the wind has got up I've carried on dropping rabbits when my friends have started missing with the .17HMR, it's especially noticeable if it's gusty rather than a steady wind.

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

A friend had the Sako Quad system when it was first introduced I think. He went back to two separate rifles for .22rf and .17 HMR. 

Yes that's quite understandable if he wants to use both calibres frequently. I bought mine as a .22lr and HMR barrel, I now rarely use the lr but use a second HMR for dedicated night vision. A WMR would seem a low cost addition that doesn't take up more cabinet space and I MIGHT then clear out the 17 rem and reloading gear as I seldom go out specifically for fox these days.

On 17/08/2020 at 12:03, wasps57 said:

RWS 40 grain .22WMR are very good but very expensive.

Just been playing to find out what I could select to try if I do go for one of these. I see that the RWS is still up there even though it's been down-loaded - older shooters will remember that the MV for these was 2020 which at 362 ftlbs was almost in WSM territory although 1954/339 is still a bit of a brute. I think that they must have been over-egged as I had splash-back with my Ruger which didn't half sting so I took them back and was instantly given a refund. Similarly, the Federal 50s were 1650 but are now 1530. Now, they really did stop a fox. Subject to accuracy, the Remington 33g are looking to be the best option when set against the price of the RWS.

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

Just been playing to find out what I could select to try if I do go for one of these. I see that the RWS is still up there even though it's been down-loaded - older shooters will remember that the MV for these was 2020 which at 362 ftlbs was almost in WSM territory although 1954/339 is still a bit of a brute. I think that they must have been over-egged as I had splash-back with my Ruger which didn't half sting so I took them back and was instantly given a refund. Similarly, the Federal 50s were 1650 but are now 1530. Now, they really did stop a fox. Subject to accuracy, the Remington 33g are looking to be the best option when set against the price of the RWS.

Except I forgot about the CCI - mistake.