22 WMR

BrowningDJC

On 04/09/2020 at 19:52, wymberley said:

Don't know if this will help or hinder. A to D in order of merit.

Velocity   Energy        Bullet Path    Wind Effect

Accutip       100yds            A 1491       C              A+  0.48          A   4.24

150 yds              1289                       A   -3.68                10.11

CCI 40g                             D               B               D                      B

Hornady                            B               D               B                      D

RWS         100 yds            C               A 178        C                      C

150 yds                                 130            

CCI 35g   100 yds           A+ 1561   A+ 189        A    0.65           A+ 4.07

150 yds                1342       140        A+ -2.95                 9.77                      

OK. this table is as reviously described, but with additional info'. For the superior results I have added the (Imperial) numerical figures to the previous alpha codes. It will be seen that two brands from the original 4 are needed to cover all four ballistic aspects to the maximum effect. However, the 35g CCI does it all in one. Wind is across at 10mph.

So why post? I've had a chat to GMK and if the WMR shooters wish to take advantage of this cartridge, I am told that the best way to get our sticky little fingers on them is to ask our RFD for some and when they respond that they haven't got any, ask them to contact GMK. I am told that GMK are not averse to bringing them in, but would need to see a demand for them from their dealers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/08/2020 at 15:48, cervusman said:

Remington 33gr accutip and 33gr V-max shoot very well and to the same point of aim in my rifle, a Ruger 77 stainless 

Well, that threw me a wobbly. Finally managed (on a USA site) to find out that the Accutip replaced the V Max. I reckon that I must have just bought the last remainig box of V Max. Just a little concerned when I read that there was no mention of 22 WMR in their 2018 catalogue.

On 01/11/2020 at 19:10, wymberley said:

Well, that threw me a wobbly. Finally managed (on a USA site) to find out that the Accutip replaced the V Max. I reckon that I must have just bought the last remainig box of V Max. Just a little concerned when I read that there was no mention of 22 WMR in their 2018 catalogue.

Oops! In view of the latest news about Remington, I have just emailed GMK again:

"Hello,
With the sad news about Remington and the potential loss of their superb 22 WMR 33g Accutip cartridge, is there not an advantage for GMK to import the CCI 35g Gamepoint version in order to make good this loss in the UK? Not only do these have the edge over the Remingtons, they also make the highly expensive RWS look seriously inferior."

Worth a try.

• 1 month later...

It's a lovely sunny late autumn/early wnter day with many folk walking along the prom' and a few having a dip - albeit a tad chilly. A good to be alive day. On top of that, UKGR have just now rung and my Weihrauch is in ready for collection. :yahoo:

Just one teensy weensy little problem - my FAC is in for renewal which is now passed its sell by date and I have the 8 week extension. As they have the FAC and I have already asked for it to be returned explaining why and as yet have had no response, I think I'm going to have to have a grovel.

• 2 weeks later...

If the lady that I spoke to keeps her word - to the effect that whereas my old FAC has been destroyed, it is still on the computer file and she will download it and print me off a copy which I should have any day now - as well as Strimmer 13 and his mate did, I should be up and running in a few days. Strimmer's mate let him know that some CCI 40gr Gamepoint were available and the info was passed on to me. The RFD would not take my dosh until I collect them once I get my FAC back and has reserved the quantity I was after. On the same trip I can also pick up the Weihrauch. I'll report back on the measured MV and group sizes for Hornady 30g, RWS 40g, Remington Accutip and the CCI 40g Gamepoint.

Anyone having or thinking of getting this calibre, and as I've previously mentioned could do worse than have a look at this:

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/6/8/review-cci-a22-magnum-ammo

And ask your RFD for some. GMK are not against importing them but need to see some potential sales interest in the form of orders from their dealer network.

While taking the MV quoted in the review with a pinch of salt, it is just worth noting that the energy at the muzzle for the 17 WSM is 400 ftlbs. If you then transpose the 15 ft velocity figure in the review to that of the muzzle - and with the pinch of salt uppermost in one's mind - this equates to 395 ftlbs.

I'm doomed. The lady at D&CC Firearms didn't do what she said she would. 'er indoors failed until late this morning to give me the message from UKGR received yesterday. Despite the stirling efforts of another lady at D&CC over lunchtime today, now in view of lockdown, no rifle and no ammo until whenever. I'm just going to have to sit and watch this space. 😭

• 2 months later...

The opening words on my last post were prophetic. One member has already suggested that I don't bother doing the lottery this week. Little did he know how right he was going to be. I sat it out and waited until the end of lockdown as regards to the non essential shops opening. I emailed the RFD who has been sitting on some ammo for me saying that I'd be over on Monday to collect it. Did the same for the new 22 Mag and got a phone call asking if I had the gun's box. 'No' was the reply, I've not been over since before Christmas. Oh. To cut a long story short, unless they find it stashed somewhere that they hadn't thought to look, they've thrown it away. Not a problem for me I indicated. Agrh, well you see we can only assume that the bolt was still in it.

And I've had enough of GMK. I've just seen the new CCI round - 46 Grain Maxi Mag which without a shadow of a doubt is a 150 yard fox round - will we see them here - don't hold your breath.

• 2 months later...
On 10/04/2021 at 19:04, wymberley said:

The opening words on my last post were prophetic. One member has already suggested that I don't bother doing the lottery this week. Little did he know how right he was going to be. I sat it out and waited until the end of lockdown as regards to the non essential shops opening. I emailed the RFD who has been sitting on some ammo for me saying that I'd be over on Monday to collect it. Did the same for the new 22 Mag and got a phone call asking if I had the gun's box. 'No' was the reply, I've not been over since before Christmas. Oh. To cut a long story short, unless they find it stashed somewhere that they hadn't thought to look, they've thrown it away. Not a problem for me I indicated. Agrh, well you see we can only assume that the bolt was still in it.

And I've had enough of GMK. I've just seen the new CCI round - 46 Grain Maxi Mag which without a shadow of a doubt is a 150 yard fox round - will we see them here - don't hold your breath.

Two months on and have heard nowt so rang UK Gun Repairs. "You're right, let me call Hull and I'll get straight back to you." A few minutes later and I'm told nothing will happen until October at the earliest. It seems Hull sat on the info' that Weihrauch only make components twice a year and the next occasion is September hence the October forecast which is not guaranteed.

The upshot is that UKGR have been superb. Anyone can make an honest mistake, it's what you do next that counts. The order will stand and that rifle will go on the rack. I could find no reference to the new batch of Anschutz models having two stage triggers, but it seems they can  and do - the only place it's mentioned seems to be on the RUAG site. Not only are these made, but there's two ranges - hi and low pull levels.

So, to blazes with Hull and Weihrauch and provided the given delivery of July (no date just the month) is met, there's a nice new Anschutz with my name on it which had I known about the triggers I'd have ordered in the first place. 

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2021 at 17:42, wymberley said:

Two months on and have heard nowt so rang UK Gun Repairs. "You're right, let me call Hull and I'll get straight back to you." A few minutes later and I'm told nothing will happen until October at the earliest. It seems Hull sat on the info' that Weihrauch only make components twice a year and the next occasion is September hence the October forecast which is not guaranteed.

The upshot is that UKGR have been superb. Anyone can make an honest mistake, it's what you do next that counts. The order will stand and that rifle will go on the rack. I could find no reference to the new batch of Anschutz models having two stage triggers, but it seems they can  and do - the only place it's mentioned seems to be on the RUAG site. Not only are these made, but there's two ranges - hi and low pull levels.

So, to blazes with Hull and Weihrauch and provided the given delivery of July (no date just the month) is met, there's a nice new Anschutz with my name on it which had I known about the triggers I'd have ordered in the first place. 

As said in January, I'm doomed. Never mind July, that hasn't/won't happen. August it seems doesn't exist in the German firearms industry (in common I suppose with other Continental countries/industries) and it's just annoying that RUAG didn't think before making a promise that would not be kept. We're now talking September - any advances!? The only saving grace out of this is that UKGR who will be obliged to keep the Weihrauch when it finally arrives have kindly offered to buy the dedicated items that I'd bought to go with it from me and for them to sell on with the rifle.

• 1 month later...
On 03/09/2021 at 14:40, Dekers said:

Must be really frustrating, whilst my WMR does not come out every day, it is a valuable tool for me!

:good:

Downright annoying. When I finally get it it will be my only rimfire so I didn't need all this delay. Mostly down to the suppliers/importers/distributors telling porkies and you can't get to them so the poor old RFD gets it in the neck. I'm just waiting for the lack of delivery driver routine now. :mad:

Hopefully by Now they’ll be some Bunnies about on your permission now after such a long wait,Winchester do  subsonic hollow points for the WMR shoots exactly the same as the 22Lr,

what a versatile little rifle i’ve considered getting rid of my 22Lr because I have the best of both worlds with the WMR but I’m going to hang on for a while yet because the Lead ban is not going to be easy on the wmr or the 22Lr I don’t think

24 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Hopefully by Now they’ll be some Bunnies about on your permission now after such a long wait,Winchester do  subsonic hollow points for the WMR shoots exactly the same as the 22Lr,

what a versatile little rifle i’ve considered getting rid of my 22Lr because I have the best of both worlds with the WMR but I’m going to hang on for a while yet because the Lead ban is not going to be easy on the wmr or the 22Lr I don’t think

There is no lead ban. You can avoid the phase out by stocking up now.