Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Having sorted out which few rounds to try, if I'm going to go for this I think it'll be a Weihrauch HW 66 Production Thumbhole. My first ever rifle was the Anschutz version but in this calibre found it too light. Having had a JM in Hornet flavour, I appreciate their extra weight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, wymberley said:

Having sorted out which few rounds to try, if I'm going to go for this I think it'll be a Weihrauch HW 66 Production Thumbhole. My first ever rifle was the Anschutz version but in this calibre found it too light. Having had a JM in Hornet flavour, I appreciate their extra weight.


They make fantastic rifles. Wish I’d bought one ... half tempted to get rid of my CZ17 HMR and get either an Anschutz or Weihrauch in 17hmr or 22wmr 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:


They make fantastic rifles. Wish I’d bought one ... half tempted to get rid of my CZ17 HMR and get either an Anschutz or Weihrauch in 17hmr or 22wmr 

Apart from the first batch, I subsequently had no trouble at all with either the Anschutz rifle or the Remington ammo in my HMR - I even sold the LR. The HMR went because so did the rabbits and what were left my oppo takes care of but at the moment it's a thankless task. On medical grounds the plan was to get a WSM for fox and rabbit - our usual fox range down here is not great - getting shot of the Hornet. Bad idea with the lack of ammo choice which will be ongoing. Had another look at the WMR as someone mentioned them and things have changed ammo-wise since I had one. I'll worry about the choice of ammo for rabbit if it becomes necessary but I'm only thinking of fox so have picked out the CCI and RWS. The variation is in. I've been a fan of the calibre ever since I was the Forstmeister's runner while waiting for my Jagdschein to come through and saw what he could do with one. Funny old world isn't it - it was my first rifle and will probably be my last. Had a look at the ballistics, particularly for bullet path and wind where the HMR has the advantage, but taking into accouint the maximum range for fox it's not a problem. If the accuracy is there, then with the energy on tap for fox the WMR is the way to go out of the two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, wymberley said:

Yep, as said the variation is in, the rifle and ammo are on order and the new scope has arrived. Just requires patience now.

Still interested in how you or anyone else gets on with it, my renewal is in with the calibre requested - then I'll likely be looking out for a WMR barrel for one of my Sako Quads, may depend on what more I read about WMR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Still interested in how you or anyone else gets on with it, my renewal is in with the calibre requested - then I'll likely be looking out for a WMR barrel for one of my Sako Quads, may depend on what more I read about WMR.

My tip would be to look for more current info' should you read 'owt. The bullets now available have changed a fair bit both in terms of BC (improved) and in some cases velocity (reduced) since I used one some 30 odd years ago.

Strimmer (above) is on the ball but as we know with rimfire, cartridge choice for accuracy is everything. From what I can see, the CCI Gamepoint followed by the Accutip, but both are behind the RWS -  for which the price will put many (including me) off unless the accuracy in any one gun is far superior - in terms of energy. I'm really talking fox and the little Hornady V Max comes into its own for, say, rabbit - apart from, perhaps, the wind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Still interested in how you or anyone else gets on with it, my renewal is in with the calibre requested - then I'll likely be looking out for a WMR barrel for one of my Sako Quads, may depend on what more I read about WMR.

Don't know if this will help or hinder. A to D in order of merit.

                         Velocity   Energy   Bullet Path   Wind Effect

Accutip               A              C              D                      A

CCI                      D              B              B                      B

Hornady             B              D              C                      D

RWS                   C              A              A                      C          

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/09/2020 at 12:43, strimmer_13 said:

Try cci gamepoint. Was using them all weekend and grouped better than the federal and vmax.

Haven’t shot any of these yet going to see if I can get hold of Some to try,  just noticed the price on your 30g vmax  i’ve been paying £12.54  I guess that’s down to whereabouts in the country you are, thanks for the info regards Silverfox 1

IMG_20200830_164222.jpg

Mind you that was in a cz455 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silver fox 1 said:

 Good choice that looks a very nice rifle,   I’m  interested in how you get on with it  keep us updated regards Silverfox 1

Will do, but at the moment I'm in the hands of the police - fortunately Devon and Cornwall - and my RFD and his suppliers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2020 at 19:58, wymberley said:

I've been a fan of the calibre ever since I was the Forstmeister's runner while waiting for my Jagdschein to come through and saw what he could do with one.

Wait, what?

A bit o/t but you did your Jagdpruefung in Germany/Austria/Switzerland?

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Wait, what?

A bit o/t but you did your Jagdpruefung in Germany/Austria/Switzerland?

Germany. Not widely known but in recognition of the fact that the Bitish occupying power after WW11 was the first to allow the return of hunting guns to the civilians, the British armed forces on production of an officer signed form confirming that the applicant was an experienced bona fide shooter you were exempt the normal qualifications that applied to the German nationals. There was also a number of deer reserved for our stalkers in the national forests, the number of which was never fully taken up it was so generous. Their system was such that your SGC/FAC (sensibly their system was all in one), the Waffenbesitzkarte, was invalid (exceptions prevailed) unless you also had a Jagdschein.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wymberley said:

you were exempt the normal qualifications that applied to the German nationals.

Ahh ok thanks.  Interesting.

There was a possibility, before the 'rona, that I would be moving to Germany, so had looked at what getting the qualification entailed.

Back on topic...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of an update.

Lead time for the rifle is 6 to 8 weeks is the good news.

I've had a rip off day. It started with the £8 increase on my previously £50 ear treatment - she knows that the GP surgeries aren't doing it as they once did. Then the Sportsman Gun Centre joined in. I was quite pleased to see that they had RWS and Hornady in stock. I think Noah loaded the RWS while he was waiting for the tide to come in. I was charged £1 more than the price label. There was no label on the Hornady so cannot comment. Then I spotted the Remington 33gr. One of Noah's sons did these ( the brass discolouration was not quite as bad as that of the RWS) and it was the last box. I'm told it was wrongly labelled - it wasn't 5 years ago when it was done -  and I was going to be charged £4 more than the label price. As it happens, I've sourced some Remingtons so am OK there. I still can't find any CCI Gamepoint though.

In short, anyone thinking of getting the WMR should make haste slowly - but, perhaps bear in mind my location and the scarcity of larger RFDs and especially those who can actually manage to answer emails. Thank heaven for UKGR - they're getting the rifle so I know I won't have to wait any longer than is strictly necessary. Mind you, you can bet it'll arrive the day after I've posted off my FAC for renewal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Bit of an update.

Lead time for the rifle is 6 to 8 weeks is the good news.

I've had a rip off day. It started with the £8 increase on my previously £50 ear treatment - she knows that the GP surgeries aren't doing it as they once did. Then the Sportsman Gun Centre joined in. I was quite pleased to see that they had RWS and Hornady in stock. I think Noah loaded the RWS while he was waiting for the tide to come in. I was charged £1 more than the price label. There was no label on the Hornady so cannot comment. Then I spotted the Remington 33gr. One of Noah's sons did these ( the brass discolouration was not quite as bad as that of the RWS) and it was the last box. I'm told it was wrongly labelled - it wasn't 5 years ago when it was done -  and I was going to be charged £4 more than the label price. As it happens, I've sourced some Remingtons so am OK there. I still can't find any CCI Gamepoint though.

In short, anyone thinking of getting the WMR should make haste slowly - but, perhaps bear in mind my location and the scarcity of larger RFDs and especially those who can actually manage to answer emails. Thank heaven for UKGR - they're getting the rifle so I know I won't have to wait any longer than is strictly necessary. Mind you, you can bet it'll arrive the day after I've posted off my FAC for renewal.

Was it the dorchester sgc? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wymberley said:

Exeter.

Ah never been in there, dorchester had some good prices on wmr ammo last time I was in with my mate, but i just find the¬†salesmen¬†(as that's all they are) pretty useless and at times quite rude. I gave up my wmr years ago as ammo was hard to find, and advised my mate to get one as it's a excellent fox round for sub 150mtrs (also I get to use it everytime we go out ūüėČ). Anyway hes had enough of them too, and pays a little bit more and gets the ammo from Coombe farm as the service in there is excellent.¬†

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...