22 WMR

BrowningDJC

On 16/08/2020 at 21:54, Scully said:

Compared to the .17HMR, the .22Mag’ is like lobbing in an artillery shell, and has already gone subsonic long before the HMR does....if it in fact does. 
Much louder than the .22lr, it is more of a ‘boom’ than a ‘crack‘, but hits like a small train. 
I used the 40 grn semi jacketed soft hollow points by Federal (?) and Winchester in my Ruger M 77. 
I really liked mine, but finally went back to the quieter lr. 

I know I'm going back a bit here but whilst you are right about some of the HEAVY WMR, the WMR 30g V-Max I use flies VERY close to the HMR 17g V-Max out to around 100 yards.   The WMR starts around 2200ft sec and 322 ft Lb and the HMR around 245ft lb, by the time they get to 100 yards they are both very similar at about 135ft lb, the HMR holds its energy a tiny bit better than the WMR after that.

Each to their own and whilst I have a selection of different types and weight of WMR I find the 30g V-Max is my go to ammo!

:good:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Dekers said:

I know I'm going back a bit here but whilst you are right about some of the HEAVY WMR, the WMR 30g V-Max I use flies VERY close to the HMR 17g V-Max out to around 100 yards.   The WMR starts around 2200ft sec and 322 ft Lb and the HMR around 245ft lb, by the time they get to 100 yards they are both very similar at about 135ft lb, the HMR holds its energy a tiny bit better than the WMR after that.

Each to their own and whilst I have a selection of different types and weight of WMR I find the 30g V-Max is my go to ammo!

It’s a while since I owned a WMR, ( it was back in the day when Ruger introduced their fabulous M77 ) and if I recall most of my shooting was with the semi jacketed hollow point 40grn Maxi mag’. 
It was a great rifle and still is a fabulous chambering, and accounted for countless rabbits and more than a few hares and foxes. 
A now deceased shooting periodical writer tried to persuade me to shoot Roe with it, and although I’m pretty sure it was up to the job, I never did. 

3 hours ago, Dekers said:

In the 30 odd years since I had my last one the ammo' has changed considerably. I'm opened minded and have got about 6 or so different types (including the V-Max) to try, but am half hoping the 33 gr Remington suits the rifle for longer range small stuff and the CCI 40gr Gamepoint for fox. There is a 35gr Gamepoint which I don't think we'll see here but which is a 150 yard fox round and after that whatever range your conscience permits. I can't seem to quickly find it now, but I did read a review of this which the reviewer's measured MV put the velocity a little below the WSM energy level.

I think the word is flexibility.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

In the 30 odd years since I had my last one the ammo' has changed considerably. I'm opened minded and have got about 6 or so different types (including the V-Max) to try, but am half hoping the 33 gr Remington suits the rifle for longer range small stuff and the CCI 40gr Gamepoint for fox. There is a 35gr Gamepoint which I don't think we'll see here but which is a 150 yard fox round and after that whatever range your conscience permits. I can't seem to quickly find it now, but I did read a review of this which the reviewer's measured MV put the velocity a little below the WSM energy level.

I think the word is flexibility.

Yer 'tis;

American Hunter | Review: CCI A22 Magnum Ammo

9 hours ago, Scully said:

There is no lead ban. You can avoid the phase out by stocking up now. 

Yes you’re right not at the moment, I am stocking up every time I go to the local RFD i’ll pick up a couple of boxes, I was talking to him the other day about this and he said once he sells all the lead Amo he won’t be buying anymore because he doesn’t wanna get stuck with it, i’ve tried a couple of boxes of 25 grain Hornaday ntx which are okay but not as good as the 30 grain vmax in my rifle anyway

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2021 at 11:15, rapid rich said:

How are you getting in Wymberley ? Any updates ??

Rich

I'm trying hard not to have to do anything twice. Zeroing is out as the RFD forgot to order the moderator that they recommended. Have the comb height to my satisfaction now, just have to finish it off. Mine is the Monte Carlo/ Thumbhole version - you may not find this. It has the thumbhole and hollow stock but with the Monte Carlo comb and not the beaver tail fore-end but the traditional Anschutz shape. Have the Harris bipod fitment sorted for now. Adjusting the light two stage trigger to my satisfaction was fun. Patience was rewarded in the end - don't fiddle but make haste slowly and play by the rules - small adjust and check and repeat as necessary. The farm is now soaked but as soon as I can I'll do a quick 'zero' to make sure I don't hit the chrono' and check the MV of all the ammo types that I have - will report on these. Finally, I'll do a proper zero once I have the mod' and its cover. 

On 03/10/2021 at 16:24, wymberley said:

I'm trying hard not to have to do anything twice. Zeroing is out as the RFD forgot to order the moderator that they recommended. Have the comb height to my satisfaction now, just have to finish it off. Mine is the Monte Carlo/ Thumbhole version - you may not find this. It has the thumbhole and hollow stock but with the Monte Carlo comb and not the beaver tail fore-end but the traditional Anschutz shape. Have the Harris bipod fitment sorted for now. Adjusting the light two stage trigger to my satisfaction was fun. Patience was rewarded in the end - don't fiddle but make haste slowly and play by the rules - small adjust and check and repeat as necessary. The farm is now soaked but as soon as I can I'll do a quick 'zero' to make sure I don't hit the chrono' and check the MV of all the ammo types that I have - will report on these. Finally, I'll do a proper zero once I have the mod' and its cover. 

That was easy. Give or take, all are as per except for two. The expensive RWS which I really didn't fancy buying as a routine proved consistent but way down on what the makers say regarding velocity to an extent that the Remington Premiers are superior. The 40gr CCI Gamepoint on the other hand went well OTT coming in at 1964 ft/sec.

It must be said that after all the problems that I've had getting the 22 Mag, obtaining the final item was simplicity itself. Thank you Black Rifle for your superb service in getting the moderator cover to me less than24 hours after it was ordered. As I want to end on a high note, we won't talk about me and the Anschutz trigger.

• 1 month later...
On 14/10/2021 at 15:10, wymberley said:

It must be said that after all the problems that I've had getting the 22 Mag, obtaining the final item was simplicity itself. Thank you Black Rifle for your superb service in getting the moderator cover to me less than24 hours after it was ordered. As I want to end on a high note, we won't talk about me and the Anschutz trigger.

Damn! Did I mention Anschutz trigger? My wife can, as can my shooting oppo together with everyone in the RFD when I went. It's just me that can't now control the second stage. I'd set it at the same load as the triggers on the LR and HMR when I had them but had to winch it up as far as I dared. Still no go and we'd be talking negligent discharge in the field. Off to the RFD who, on advice, has taken it up some more. Same result today when I went to collect it although it must be said that my hands/wrists were really bad this morning. No option as the situation is never going to get much better if at all, so when we discovered that RUAG had just the one heavy unit in stock, I went for it. Obviously, the Remingtons will remain good, but I may just check the CCI Gamepoints again in case a more relaxed me if I'm not worried about 'letting one go' improves the groups with these. If nothing else, I would like to check that 1964 ft/sec MV.