Stalking knowledge

gk5

Hi all,
I have been using the site for a while before joining and found it very useful - and interesting.

I have been shooting for a good while but only recently started stalking. At the start of 2020 I rejigged my working life to be able to do more of what I enjoy and with my family etc. Stalking was one of the things on my list.

So, to the point. I would like to learn from experienced stalkers in the field. I have paid for guided stalking, and will continue to do so. I have also booked on a DSC1 course for later in the year. But what I would really appreciate is to be able to go out with someone and learn what I can from them about the whole process. To be clear I'm NOT after an opportunity to shoot, more to shadow. If I can be helpful, even better. I'm in West Oxfordshire.

I appreciate this is a big ask. And if this request is not appropriate or ill judged I apologise. I have also posted this on Stalking Directory.
Thanks

Real life experience is the only way to learn as far as I'm concerned.

I can't offer any help but I believe  the route you have chosen will be the most educational.

You can read every book, watch every video and they may help  but until you are actually faced with the situations you do not know how you should or will react.

Hope someone will be along to help out.

Edd

10 hours ago, gk5 said:

Hi all,
I have been using the site for a while before joining and found it very useful - and interesting.

I have been shooting for a good while but only recently started stalking. At the start of 2020 I rejigged my working life to be able to do more of what I enjoy and with my family etc. Stalking was one of the things on my list.

So, to the point. I would like to learn from experienced stalkers in the field. I have paid for guided stalking, and will continue to do so. I have also booked on a DSC1 course for later in the year. But what I would really appreciate is to be able to go out with someone and learn what I can from them about the whole process. To be clear I'm NOT after an opportunity to shoot, more to shadow. If I can be helpful, even better. I'm in West Oxfordshire.

I appreciate this is a big ask. And if this request is not appropriate or ill judged I apologise. I have also posted this on Stalking Directory.
Thanks

May i suggest you join the Stalking Directory

Some top chaps and great info on there 

Thanks all. All good advice and gratefully received. 

6 hours ago, jall25 said:

May i suggest you join the Stalking Directory

Some top chaps and great info on there 

Thanks for the tip. This was posted on SD at the same time. Thought I would try and widen the audience as much as possible 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2020 at 01:28, saddler said:

READ every book on stalking that you can find too.
The G Kenneth Whitehead ones are good...
I also picked up a few good books on stalking when I was in New Zealand, but they are very slanted toward shooting deer as a source of meat.

What books? Like to read them :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Even after passing all the exams both UK & Germany I found the most knowledge of deer life patterns came from sitting out night after night and watching them about their normal lives. You don"t even need a rifle to do that, just a good pair of bins and permission from the stalker/landowner to sit in the high seats.