Cormorants

Jacko3275

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Id check if you need to use steel, but if not , lead 5s.

Wary bird , so you might struggle to get into effective range.

As Eddie says, get into an ambush position before it gets light, or you will struggle, how many has the licence given to cull ?

As above. They are slippery little rascals. 

As above, and dont shoot the first 1 or 2 you see, they will be scouts for the main party to follow , they are a very  intelligent predator. Also check  no night fishing is allowed on the lake. I got asked to control some predators on lakes, but the owner would not stop night tickets. Gave that one a miss .

45 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Id check if you need to use steel, but if not , lead 5s.

Wary bird , so you might struggle to get into effective range.

As Eddie says, get into an ambush position before it gets light, or you will struggle, how many has the licence given to cull ?

I have to Go back and see them  to get a copy of all the details Of the new license as they have asked If they could shoot more and they said I can use lead or steel .. the pond manager said they are usually tree line height or on the ponds 

3 hours ago, JDog said:

None of the people I have ever encountered who had licences to shoot Cormorants could count.

Well according to those of a certain political bent these days 2+2 does not necessarily equal 4.

I don't know any anglers who would give you grief for shooting a few extra "black death". Obviously I think it's a terrible thing. :innocent:

I would be very weary about using a shotgun to cull Cormorants , not the hardest bird to hit with nearly a four foot wingspan but these birds spend most of the day on or in water and to drop one with a broken wing you will have very little chance of retrieving it , no one in there right mind would send a dog after a live one with a beak like a dagger and having one flapping about on a public waterway is something to avoid , you can wound one with a rifle but less so than a shotgun so weigh up the pros and cons before you carry the culling out .

On 17/08/2020 at 16:02, Jacko3275 said:

I have to Go back and see them  to get a copy of all the details Of the new license as they have asked If they could shoot more and they said I can use lead or steel .. the pond manager said they are usually tree line height or on the ponds 

Who said you can use Lead. If in England whether you are in the middle of a dry field using a shotgun it's non toxic shot and if using a Pump Action or Semi Auto it has to be capable of holding no more than two cartridges in the magazine and one in the chamber. I've held/hold ( England ) various Licenses allowing to shoot different species of Birds for best part of 50 years. My advice make sure you are 100% eg carry the License abide by the rules/laws as there's always a do gooder willing to leg us shooters up and a Police officer who knows nothing about the shooting/licensing system and there not quick in returning your guns whilst finding the facts.

49 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Who said you can use Lead. If in England whether you are in the middle of a dry field using a shotgun it's non toxic shot and if using a Pump Action or Semi Auto it has to be capable of holding no more than two cartridges in the magazine and one in the chamber. I've held/hold ( England ) various Licenses allowing to shoot different species of Birds for best part of 50 years. My advice make sure you are 100% eg carry the License abide by the rules/laws as there's always a do gooder willing to leg us shooters up and a Police officer who knows nothing about the shooting/licensing system and there not quick in returning your guns whilst finding the facts.

I may have misheard him but till I have read the licence I do not know what I am aloud to do  .... found this but it doesn’t mention cormorants  ..... In England and Wales the use of lead shot has been banned for the shooting of all duck, geese, coots and moorhens wherever they occur, as well as on or over all foreshore and specified Sites of Special Scientific Interest

5 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I may have misheard him but till I have read the licence I do not know what I am aloud to do  .... found this but it doesn’t mention cormorants  ..... In England and Wales the use of lead shot has been banned for the shooting of all duck, geese, coots and moorhens wherever they occur, as well as on or over all foreshore and specified Sites of Special Scientific Interest

Cormorants aren't mentioned. Doesn't matter though. In Scotland, England and Wales it is illegal to use lead shot over any wetland. Regardless of the species you are shooting.  

If you are not shooting them over a wetland in Scotland you are fine. In England and Wales then you may be right but I think you'd be on dodgy ground. It maybe worth seeking advice

The legislation only covers lead shot. You can use lead rifle ammunition over wetlands to your hearts content.