North Koreans have to 'hand in' their dogs

JohnfromUK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8634831/North-Koreans-ordered-hand-pet-dogs-killed-meat-country-hit-food-shortages.html

I know it is a nasty bullying regime, but this (if true) takes the biscuit.  I don't have a dog now, but I have done in the past - and they would NOT have been 'given up'.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8634831/North-Koreans-ordered-hand-pet-dogs-killed-meat-country-hit-food-shortages.html

I know it is a nasty bullying regime, but this (if true) takes the biscuit.  I don't have a dog now, but I have done in the past - and they would NOT have been 'given up'.

Jesus ! starving people eating each others pet, they need rid of the supreme ruler 

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

.  I don't have a dog now, but I have done in the past - and they would NOT have been 'given up'.

Good luck telling them you’d not going to comply with the government out there. 

They’d drag you and your family out of your home into the street and shoot you all in the back of the head at point blank range. 

People in this country and other free nations don’t realise the freedom and liberty they enjoy on a daily basis. 

Bring on the complaints about how the human rights act only protects criminals ... 😳🙄

15 hours ago, stumfelter said:

Looking on the bright side I think cats are exempt.

Now, now. You know that posts about Felis catus are verboten in Pigeon Watch.

Edited by Mr_Nobody
:)

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

My two dogs are in season and keep disappearing looking for boyfriends...is there a collection service or do you have drop them off 😂 they're annoying me so much I might just eat them myself 😂😂

😀
I know the feeling; have new pup and she’s driving us crackers! She may do as a starter! 

Guest cookoff013

the last famine they had was devistating to the county.

i did alot of research on north korea, when it all started kicking off many many years ago. 

history

well worth a read.

Just now, Gordon R said:

The French eat horses, but no similar outrage. Much as I disagree with North Korea, it is their country and they can do as they please.

The key difference here is that the North Koreans are compelling people to give up their pets - and making ownership illegal - whereas the French eat horse meat bred for the purpose.

I personally don't particularly want to eat horse - and wouldn't (knowingly) eat dog - but I accept that Korea (North and South) do eat dog.  However I object strongly to being forced to surrender a 'pet' dog against your will - regardless of whether it is to be eaten or not.

Typical Daily Mail click bait story with the attedant pictures of people scoffing handfuls of unidentifiable meat.

Given everything else that goes on in NK being forced to surrender one's pets is at the trivial end of the spectrum, despite the abhorence at the thought to us.  When there is very little value placed on the human life of the citizens, people's pets wont even register.

Edited by grrclark

18 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Good luck telling them you’d not going to comply with the government out there. 

They’d drag you and your family out of your home into the street and shoot you all in the back of the head at point blank range. 

People in this country and other free nations don’t realise the freedom and liberty they enjoy on a daily basis. 

Bring on the complaints about how the human rights act only protects criminals ... 😳🙄

HRA doesn't only protect criminals, but that's probably it's more common use.

Last time I checked the UK didn't operate like north Korea before 1997 when the was no HRA.

3 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

HRA doesn't only protect criminals, but that's probably it's more common use.

Last time I checked the UK didn't operate like north Korea before 1997 when the was no HRA.

That’s correct ... this is something that gets mentioned a lot...

The reason might be that before the Human Rights Act we had the European Convention of Human Rights 1953... 

We even have rights that stood in law going back to the British ‘Bill of Rights’ going back to the 1600’s, and before the rights of British people was deeply establish as far back as the Magna Carta. 

The Human Rights Act updates and modernises long held rights. Thinking that before the HRA there was nothing in place is a bit naive. 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

😀
I know the feeling; have new pup and she’s driving us crackers! She may do as a starter! 

A do gooder picked up the terrier today and was in hot pursuit of the lurcher 🙈 they couldn't understand that while they were nearly a village over from home that was only 2stubble fields away and chasing a brain dead lurcher is a lost cause. They also didn't like when I said they'd have been better served kicking the dogs up the **** and telling them to go home rather than rallying round the quiet lanes looking for dogs that weren't lost. They shouldn't go off but currently they're sex mad floosies!

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

That’s correct ... this is something that gets mentioned a lot...

The reason might be that before the Human Rights Act we had the European Convention of Human Rights 1953... 

We even have rights that stood in law going back to the British ‘Bill of Rights’ going back to the 1600’s, and before the rights of British people was deeply establish as far back as the Magna Carta. 

The Human Rights Act updates and modernises long held rights. Thinking that before the HRA there was nothing in place is a bit naive. 

When did I say there was nothing in place?

I'm well aware of what preceded the HRA and I would say the system governing criminal rights worked alot better before the HRA came along, as did alot of society, although I also accept as with everything in life there are pros and cons, especially with such a wide reaching piece of legislation.

Which essentially squashes your argument that it's a good job we have it, or we'd be like North Korea. Clearly we wouldn't as the UK has lead the way on human rights long before Europe and Cherie Blair got involved!

19 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

When did I say there was nothing in place?

I'm well aware of what preceded the HRA and I would say the system governing criminal rights worked alot better before the HRA came along, as did alot of society, although I also accept as with everything in life there are pros and cons, especially with such a wide reaching piece of legislation.

Which essentially squashes your argument that it's a good job we have it, or we'd be like North Korea. Clearly we wouldn't as the UK has lead the way on human rights long before Europe and Cherie Blair got involved!

Perhaps you missed my point. 

I referred to us being lucky to have the human rights act as reference to our county’s record on good human rights. 

If we didn’t have the human rights act, we would have other legislation ... people who complain that we don’t torture certain criminals or abuse certain people’s human rights would just complain about the other legislation instead of the HRA.