410 load using Lil’ Gun

Folks - I’ve struggled to get SP3 powder and Fiocchi primers but managed to purchased some Hodgdon Lil’ Gun and Federal 209A’s and wondered what might be a suitable/safe powder charge to propel 11/16 (19grms) of 7’s to circa 1200 FPS. Info printed on the bottle refers to 1/2 ounce (14grms) loads with difficult to source American cases plus wads.

I’m tempted to use new Fiocchi 3” cases with 2mm overpowder and 10mm fibre wads with crimp closure on the MEC.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Salmo9

1 hour ago, Salmo9 said:

Folks - I’ve struggled to get SP3 powder and Fiocchi primers but managed to purchased some Hodgdon Lil’ Gun and Federal 209A’s and wondered what might be a suitable/safe powder charge to propel 11/16 (19grms) of 7’s to circa 1200 FPS. Info printed on the bottle refers to 1/2 ounce (14grms) loads with difficult to source American cases plus wads.

I’m tempted to use new Fiocchi 3” cases with 2mm overpowder and 10mm fibre wads with crimp closure on the MEC.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Salmo9

Google the powder manufacturers specs and go from there or have a word with John at Folkestone and see if he has a load using his excellent cards and fibre wads.

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Google the powder manufacturers specs and go from there or have a word with John at Folkestone and see if he has a load using his excellent cards and fibre wads.

Thank you Walker570.. As you suggested, I’ve now regoogled the powder manufacturers (correctly spelling ‘Hodgdons’ this time) and behold - discovered a previous PW thread detailing the use of Lil gun and Federal 209A primers, the down side is the use of plastic wads as opposed to the fibre wads I intend using. I imagine swapping wads would have some effect on pressure so an initial reduction in powder charge would be on the cards. I’ll speak to John at Folkestone Engineering tomorrow and seek his opinion... plus order the wads, shot and cases too.

I use almost exclusively Fiocchi cases and rarely have a problem and if I do it is through my carelessness.  I have been shooting close to Johns 19g recipe with SP3 now for almost four years. I measure 18.7 of #7s which gives me a nice clean crimp and does the job.  As you have found SP3 is difficult to find so I might have to change to LilGun or H110 or another alternative but hope i can find some SP3 as it has been so reliable and pours easily.