No Love For The Rocket?

Danger-Mouse

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Watched quite a few games, but only because I didn’t have a lot else to do.
When he was on a roll O ‘ Sullivan was good to watch, but neither excelled I thought, and Wilson didn’t really play like a finalist. 

I watched a few matches and all of the semis on friday, I agree with Zapp, Wilson was spent after his semi, Alan McManus predicted their match would go to the Pink and black in the final frame!!

Ronnie looked done in his semi, he smashed a ball and I thought he was out before winning 3 frames on the bounce, I'm convinced there are two of him, a secret twin, anyone watched 'the prestige'

Ronnie didn't put a foot wrong in the final.

Big Ronnie fan here and enjoyed watching him win. 

Kyren Wilson is a future Ronnie in my opinion. Both are original in their attitudes, just get on and play the game, have no end of natural ability and play in an entertaining style.

Judd Trump had all this potential but unfortunately somewhere down the line he tried to model himself as a Ronnie or Alex Higgins character (the bad boys of snooker), and you can see right through it. If he had just been himself like Kyren he would be a lot better off.

Edited by zipdog

12 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Big Ronnie fan here and enjoyed watching him win. 

Kyren Wilson is a future Ronnie in my opinion. Both are original in their attitudes, just get on and play the game, have no end of natural ability and play in an entertaining style.

Judd Trump had all this potential but unfortunately somewhere down the line he tried to model himself as a Ronnie or Alex Higgins character (the bad boys of snooker), and you can see right through it. If he had just been himself like Kyren he would be a lot better off.

Interesting take.  I think Kyren can be great and as a local lad he had my backing, but I'd have never placed him on the same trajectory as Ronnie as a player.

I think if Judd could tone his showyness down a bit he could follow Ronnie. 

As for Ronnie himself, he frustrates me with his temperamental approach but that's flair players for you and you cant deny his incredible talent.

4 minutes ago, Zapp said:

As for Ronnie himself, he frustrates me with his temperamental approach but that's flair players for you and you cant deny his incredible talent.

Some mental, as well as personal issues with Ronnie. As I pointed out, he won his first world title in 2001. If he had the same mentality/stability as Davis or Hendry he may well have already smashed the record for modern titles.

I'd love to see him equal Hendry's record. Ronnie is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most naturally talented player to ever pick up a cue. Yes you could go back to Joe Davis and his 15 titles but Joe didn't have to face the same level of opposition, and the format was different anyway.

I can remember watching a final on 1985 when in training at Catterick - the telly was on a chair between two bunks and it was really close right down to the end. After a botched attempt at a pink I think it was, they guy next to me chirped up "if it wasn't for gravity that would have gone in". He was Irish!!!

Still makes me chuckle to this day nearly 40 years later :D

I accept Ronnie's talent, but have tired of his drama queen routine - hates snooker, going to retire, slagging off younger players. Hurricane Higgins and Jimmy White were far more exciting to watch, but clearly didn't have Ronnie's application.

I believe Ronnie is a better player than Stephen Hendry and honestly hope he goes on to beat the World Championships record. He might have it in him to get another, but I would question whether he has enough in the tank to get to 8.

5 hours ago, Gordon R said:

believe Ronnie is a better player than Stephen Hendry and honestly hope he goes on to beat the World Championships record. He might have it in him to get another, but I would question whether he has enough in the tank to get to 8.

I think beating that record is what will keep him playing,  or at least drawing level with Hendry,  I'm like a lot of people I imagine,  when he's playing and on form he's great to watch, but when he's sulking and stomping around I want him to get beaten,  how he pulled it together in the semi I've no idea??

7 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I accept Ronnie's talent, but have tired of his drama queen routine - hates snooker, going to retire, slagging off younger players. Hurricane Higgins and Jimmy White were far more exciting to watch, but clearly didn't have Ronnie's application.

I believe Ronnie is a better player than Stephen Hendry and honestly hope he goes on to beat the World Championships record. He might have it in him to get another, but I would question whether he has enough in the tank to get to 8.

Agreed, the hates snooker and going to retire puts me off him. 

He doesn't hate the prize money.