AYA #2 sidelock 20b

suggs

One other question with an older AYA and other similar age sbs guns, what are your plans after the lead ban.  I was told yesterday that it was ok to put lead through the #2's i looked at but i dont think they had the fleur de lys proof mark on them and i viewed another actually much nicer #2 today in a different RFD and was told they are not safe for steel..

29 minutes ago, suggs said:

One other question with an older AYA and other similar age sbs guns, what are your plans after the lead ban.  I was told yesterday that it was ok to put lead through the #2's i looked at but i dont think they had the fleur de lys proof mark on them and i viewed another actually much nicer #2 today in a different RFD and was told they are not safe for steel..

If it ain't safe for steel tell him you'll do him a favour and take it off his hands for £200

14 minutes ago, suggs said:

My thoughts exactly, within 5 years it will be potentially worthless and not usable without paying silly my for Bismuth cartridges 

There is Danish shooters happily rattling steel through Damascus barrels with no problems. Standard pressure steel will be fine through pretty much any AYA gun

2 hours ago, suggs said:

All guns with a 70mm chamber and into proof will be absolutely fine with current 70mm (non-HP) steel cartridges. 

One example being the gamebore 32g of size 4 steel or smaller. 

Size 3 steel or bigger are apparently classed as HP steel and should not be used. 

1 hour ago, suggs said:

My thoughts exactly, within 5 years it will be potentially worthless and not usable without paying silly my for Bismuth cartridges 

That’s a load of nonsense. 

These old guns may not be usable with massive duck and geese loads but will take an ounce or ounce and 1/8th of steel shot size 4 or smaller no problem. 

They will continue to be fine for normal range pheasant, pigeon, crow, decoyed close wildfowl, woodcock, snipe etc, etc. 

Oh Well ! Donkey before cart discussion....

Why not try each gun at some clays - using a cartridge load that you intend to use for your shooting - and check that the pattern density is appropriate to that end ? Might be of more relevance to your dilemma than the aesthetics?

Hope it works out well for you. 

On 17/08/2020 at 19:50, London Best said:

I have no evidence but the word on the street is that many of the cheaper Berettas have the grain painted on. The AYA’s certainly do not. Pity about the pad.

As you say such a shame about the pad, but get that covered in nice brown or oxblood leather it would look great 

On 18/08/2020 at 17:06, suggs said:

I’ll take it in 5 years if it’s worthless - they’ll be no issues with steel, I shot steel through my no2 last year choked 1/4 1/2. Don’t believe a lot of the scare stories 

On 18/08/2020 at 17:06, suggs said:

Very true.

I recently had a £1,000 left to me by an uncle that introduced me to shoooting many years ago.

I thought of buying a gun as a memento to him but when lead goes it would become a wall hanger.

20 minutes ago, redial said:

Very true.

I recently had a £1,000 left to me by an uncle that introduced me to shoooting many years ago.

I thought of buying a gun as a memento to him but when lead goes it would become a wall hanger.

You clearly didn’t read the replies above, as what you have just said is complete nonsense. 

Bottom gun looks the best to my eye, the pad ruins the look of the middle gun, but a wooden extension butt pad would look much nicer.

Only a fool would think cartridge manufacturers won't make suitable steel carts for older guns if a ban on lead use becomes law.  As it stands the sxs can use standard steel cartridges. More and better will be manufactured in future.

Edited by figgy

On 19/08/2020 at 23:30, Lloyd90 said:

You clearly didn’t read the replies above, as what you have just said is complete nonsense. 

Thanks for your input Lloyd and putting me right.

I like old live pigeon guns, which tend to be full & full 2 1/2 inch chambers. 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, redial said:

Thanks for your input Lloyd and putting me right.

I like old live pigeon guns, which tend to be full & full 2 1/2 inch chambers. 

Cheers.

You can use standard (size 4 and smaller) steel through ANY choke (including full and full). 

I also believe one of the manufactures may have already produced a 2 1/2” steel cart, but I’m not 100% sure sorry.