Government 'Eat Out' scheme

steve_b_wales

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What does she own? Also a 5 bed house? 

Or a pokey little council house? I doubt she could get a massive mortgage as a single parent on benefits ... I imagine most of the things she had are on credit. 

The (False) imagine of a good life ... 

Would you swap positions with her? I’d rather be in your shoes any day of the week. Nice 5 bed house, nice family. Bet your kids will see you go to work and get a decent work ethic etc. 

I envy you, not your neighbour. 

A house she purchased before getting pregnant but has been able to pay it all off while receiving benefits - 2 bedroom new build it was - she nearly moved to a 3 bed last year (new build again) but then wasn't eligible under a scheme that she though she would be. No - I wouldn't swap places with her  but it does **** me off that my taxes go to somebody playing the system - the funny thing is she thinks that she is super woman having done it all on her own!! My wife doesn't bring her round anymore as she knows that I will let rip at some point!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, AVB said:

So your father paid tax at 96% for all of his life!  Either he was a multi, multi millionaire (and even so I doubt he would have paid that rate of tax) or you are confused. 

There was quite a long time when income tax was VERY high.  I quote;

The highest rate of income tax peaked in the Second World War at 99.25%. It was then slightly reduced and was around 90% through the 1950s and 60s.

In 1971 the top rate of income tax on earned income was cut to 75%. A surcharge of 15% kept the top rate on investment income at 90%.[17] In 1974 the cut was partly reversed and the top rate on earned income was raised to 83%. With the investment income surcharge this raised the top rate on investment income to 98%, the highest permanent rate since the war. This applied to incomes over £20,000 (£209,963 as of 2019).[7]

The Government of Margaret Thatcher, who favoured indirect taxation, reduced personal income tax rates during the 1980s.[18] In the first budget after her election victory in 1979, the top rate was reduced from 83% to 60% and the basic rate from 33% to 30%."

34 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

No. That's my business between me and HMRC and I won't even go into what Gordon Brown did to my pension plan back in 1997. And to me as he did to many others effectively stole my old age provision.

But what I will post is this that my late father paid, in the UK, during his lifetime 19s 6d in the £1 in tax as did many others. And then, forty plus years ago, at age twenty-one years old I then got hit with Capital Gains Tax, plus interest for fifteen years, from property I had inherited at age seven so I can assure you that my family have paid in far more, ever, in taxes than we will ever get out.

So yes what I do pay in tax I do not want going into the pockets of Weatherspoon's (whose suppliers remained long unpaid) subsidising meals for those who if they can afford them should pay for themselves the full bill and who, if they can't afford them should stay at home and support local shops, butchers, greengrocers, independent supermarkets (who collectively will employ more people) by cooking and eating meals prepared at home with those foodstuffs.

What’s your fathers tax bill got to do with anything? 

Everyone alive during his time was subject to the same tax rules. 

Everyone lucky enough to inherit property is subject to inheritance tax. 

People complain about some individuals having excessive wealth but that’s often passed down through generations. Do you think others should pay inheritance tax but not you? 

Im confuses as to what you are getting at sorry. 

It’s easy to complain “I don’t want my taxes spent on (insert random thing to grumble about)” ... until you add up everything you get. 

Like I said... I bet you get more back than you pay ... as I suspected your unwilling to state what you earn so you can carry on complaining unchallenged I suppose 👀

18 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Learn to read and learn what words mean "during his lifetime" which is not the same as "throughout his lifetime" and if you don't believe that at one time there was a UK tax rate of not 96% but 97.5% and not on millionaires then learn your history. Still ignorance is bliss. So carry on.

If I recall correctly then the top rate of income tax in the 70’s was about 86% and for investment income it became 98% for income over £20k (equivalent today of £200,00). So your father was earning a fair wack. Anyway I don’t see how you can claim ‘credit’ for taxes your father paid. The post was about putting more in than we take out. Your father may have put in more than he takes out but do you? 

1 hour ago, discobob said:

A house she purchased before getting pregnant but has been able to pay it all off while receiving benefits - 2 bedroom new build it was - she nearly moved to a 3 bed last year (new build again) but then wasn't eligible under a scheme that she though she would be. No - I wouldn't swap places with her  but it does **** me off that my taxes go to somebody playing the system - the funny thing is she thinks that she is super woman having done it all on her own!! My wife doesn't bring her round anymore as she knows that I will let rip at some point!!

How old are her kids? 

We remortgage every couple of years to get better rates, where they check our income etc. 

2 hours ago, AVB said:

If I recall correctly then the top rate of income tax in the 70’s was about 86% and for investment income it became 98% for income over £20k (equivalent today of £200,00). So your father was earning a fair wack. Anyway I don’t see how you can claim ‘credit’ for taxes your father paid. The post was about putting more in than we take out. Your father may have put in more than he takes out but do you? 

Thank you. We might disagree on this, or on that, but at least I think in other areas of PW we might agree on more than we don't agree on. But, of course, if you believe that what a family should be allowed to pass down to who it chooses what it chooses then you'll see why that 97.5% rate was it can be argued taking ultimately taking money out of my pocket. Anyway I guess we'll have to differ on this. But thank you for at least for engaging with it even if disagreeing with it.

Edited by enfieldspares

3 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

But, of course, if you believe that what a family should be allowed to pass down to who it chooses what it chooses

I very much do believe that.  For the vast majority of people - what we have to pass on down to the next generation has been paid for from taxed income and had various taxes (VAT, stamp duty etc.) paid on it.

I have no 'axe to grind' here - as I have no children - and nothing to inherit (though I did have a modest inheritance from my parents).

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I very much do believe that.  For the vast majority of people - what we have to pass on down to the next generation has been paid for from taxed income and had various taxes (VAT, stamp duty etc.) paid on it.

I have no 'axe to grind' here - as I have no children - and nothing to inherit (though I did have a modest inheritance from my parents).

I didn’t inherit anything from my parents and don’t intend to deliberately pass anything on to my children. If there is anything left at the end then they can have it but I intend to have a ruddy good time spending what I can before I die. I’ve spent enough on them while I am living. I know quite a few families that have broken up over disputed inheritance and others who have become nasty people after inheriting large amounts from their parents. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

It’s not callous, it’s just cold hard facts from Oowee’s perspective. 

If we have a major economic depression, a load of pubs and restaurants closing down will be the least of our problems. 

Also as he says, those businesses and types of jobs are very much easily replaced (when times are good). It’s not like an industry that requires millions to start up a place.  

Many restaurants and similar spring up overnight and many of them close down within the first year or two. The staff whilst I am sure are lovely people, don’t require any sort of high flying qualifications or similar, and the pub and restaurant industry is well known for having short term staff and high staff turnover, as well as employing lots of casual type workers who are just doing that type of work as a stop gap. 

I’d be more worried about major major industry closing down or leaving the U.K., as if that happens you can be sure it’ll never come back. 

I agree

pubs n resteraunts , cafes, food outlets are luxuries and not a necessary to keep the uk going 

same as sports stadiums , art galleries and museums etc

far  too many of them as there is . You can live without them ,

they  are NOT required in the grand scheme of survival , they are luxuries 

flynny

Just now, flynny said:

I agree

pubs n resteraunts , cafes, food outlets are luxuries and not a necessary to keep the uk going 

flynny

😂 Is that a joke or are you serious? 

1 minute ago, flynny said:

I agree

flynny

I disagree. We have become very dependent on the service industries. Remember that if we are not spending on things like this then the money isn’t being recirculated in the economy and people employed by these industries aren’t spending money on other things. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

😂 Is that a joke or are you serious? 

Yes , society is consumerism at the moment and has been for years ,

too many of the same type of shops  selling **** you don't need , 5 barbers , 2 off-licences , 2 pubs etc etc all within 500 yds of each other 

i dont  buy into it , never had and never will 

consumerism has  taken over 

flynny

5 minutes ago, AVB said:

I disagree. We have become very dependent on the service industries. Remember that if we are not spending on things like this then the money isn’t being recirculated in the economy and people employed by these industries aren’t spending money on other things. 

I'm not dependant on any service industries mate , far too many of em have popped up over the last 30 years 

I bid all you consumer slaves a fond farewell

enjoy buying **** you don't need lol lol

flynny

19 minutes ago, flynny said:

too many of the same type of shops  selling **** you don't need , 5 barbers , 2 off-licences , 2 pubs etc etc all within 500 yds of each other 

flynny

I'm not dependant on any service industries mate , far too many of em have popped up over the last 30 years 

flynny

I might be buying **** I don’t need but by doing so somebody else is employed and earning money that they then spend. Some of it, perhaps, on things associated with your employment. 

Remember service industries account for 80% of our GDP. 

Edited by AVB

2 minutes ago, AVB said:

I might be buying **** I don’t need but by doing so somebody else is employed and earning money that they then spend. Some of it, perhaps, on things associated with your employment. 

I understand how the world and the economy works bud (  I don't need a nursery school lesson off ya , thanks very much)

i stand by my comments , too many pubs etc , that are NOT Needed 

have  a great night at weather spoons lol lol lol

flynny

4 minutes ago, AVB said:

Remember service industries account for 80% of our GDP. 

Is that a good thing 

perhaps it’s time for a change and make us a productive country manufacturing products that we need 

seems like there’s too many eggs in one basket and not enough in the other 

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Is that a good thing 

perhaps it’s time for a change and make us a productive country manufacturing products that we need 

We haven’t had a significant manufacturing industry since the 50’s. You can wish to unwind 70 years of decline but it isn’t going to be easy. I would say impossible. 

CE8793FD-5C3D-4BCA-8A27-AB56CC246C8B.png

18 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Is that a good thing 

My thoughts also 

flynny

I know quite a few families that have broken up over disputed inheritance and others who have become nasty people after inheriting large amounts from their parents. 

On my mother's death, I became executor of her will. I discovered that my sister had been helping herself to my mother's money to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds.  Never spoken to her since and never will. Greed is a terrible thing. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

We haven’t had a significant manufacturing industry since the 50’s. You can wish to unwind 70 years of decline but it isn’t going to be easy. I would say impossible. 

CE8793FD-5C3D-4BCA-8A27-AB56CC246C8B.png

I never understand these figures, how can 80% be services? How can we need an 80/20 split

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Is that a good thing 

We've taken advantage of the eat out offer because it dropped in with our holiday,  which this year was in our caravan,  not a plane in site.

We certainly wouldn't normally eat out as much no matter what offers are on, £50 spent on food and drink is still £50 even if it should have been £100

It's about time the country was more self reliant

11 hours ago, flynny said:

flynny

flynny

Really?! The world revolves around consumerism! I hate to break it to you but you’re a consumer too, otherwise you wouldn’t survive! 😂

The clothes you wear, the house you live in and the energy required to make the things it is built from , electricity it consumes,  the vehicle you drive and the energy consumed during its manufacturing, plus the fuel it uses, the tv or radio you own, the shops you use and the food you eat. 
Im assuming you’re a shooter so that includes the guns you own and the ammunition you put through them. 
Humans become consumers from the moment they are conceived, because as soon as it is discovered the missus is pregnant everything goes into overdrive! Future grandparents start buying and making clothes; theres a car seat needed, push chairs, a cot or bed, nappies etc etc ect. 
You’re a consumer mate, along with everyone else, right down to the PC, tablet, phone or whatever it is you’re using to post on here! 😀

As for too many pubs, barbers, off licenses etc, demand will dictate that; the ones which aren’t used enough to make a living will close. 
Have a nice day you ‘consumer slave’ you. 😀

Edited by Scully

It's about "Standards of Living".

In past times, when the majority of people (speaking UK here) were relatively 'poor', much of everyone's expenditure was on 'essentials'; by this I mean basic food, heat, clothing, rent, bus fare etc.  Most families had little to spend on 'luxuries and non essentials' such as holidays, cars, radio and TV, large wardrobes of clothes, sports, meals out, and general 'discretionary spending'.

In recent times, the 'Standard of Living' for the majority has risen massively, and for many families their spend on 'essentials' (which remained much as listed above but replace rent by mortgage for many), is now only quite a small part of total spend.  The 'discretionary spend' is now vastly bigger, with many additional choices for us to 'waste(?)' our money on!  Several cars, regular home improvements, several holidays (often with flights) a year, much expensive 'technology' toys, TVs, phone technology packages, computer games, gadgets, gyms, golf clubs, swimming pools, subscription entertainment, much higher energy usage, eating out, days out, short breaks away, hobbies, sports - it's a long list.

The problem is that whilst the 'discretionary spending' supports a lot of jobs, is (for most anyway) easily reigned in and altered when income gets a bit tight.  It is/was a very fragile 'house of cards'.  Hence the present problems.

Truth is that most people have enjoyed a very good 'Standard of Living' which has 'flowed down' to create jobs and spread the wealth, and that has been reduced by 'Pandemic effects' whether lockdown 'rules', or just natural caution and 'common sense'.  It is to try to help 'restart' the discretionary eating out (which supports a lot of jobs) that this deal was set up

10 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Is that a good thing 

That's the problem.

Manufacturing years ago meant factories full of people. To be competitive now you need to be highly automated … which means a very small number of skilled jobs.

So … a competitive manufacturing sector will not deliver the jobs.

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

How old are her kids? 

We remortgage every couple of years to get better rates, where they check our income etc. 

He daughter is about to become 18 in December when I think that she may get hit with a reality stick! Maybe not though as I haven't a clue on benefits as I only ever claimed anything of that type 35 years ago when I was 16 and homeless (living in the YMCA) before I joined up

As for mortgage - the last time we renewed the options were very slim because I was self employed at the time and had to stick with our specialist mortgage because of the outcome of the last big crash removing self cert's  - when I can we will be looking to remortgage but even so looking at the market we are only 1% above it

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

I suspect but do not know that it may be similar in other tourist hotspots, but do not be too surprised if you find many establishments in this neck of the woods have knocked the scheme on the head.

Still proving popular round our way. Any ideas why they've withdrawn?