One Eyed Shooting

RojUK264

One of my friends shoots one eyed. He tracks the clay with both eyes open then closes one as he is about to shoot. You need the binocular vision to judge depth. If it works for you then stick with it. 

You may not have a dominant eye - which single eye do you find works best and are you RH or LH - normally, but not always, your dominant eye is the same as your preferred hand. You may need to squint the opposite eye to your preferred hand but having vision with both eyes is best as you need this to judge distance. It is possible to shoot with just one eye, but it makes life more difficult where  shooting moving targets is the  task.

As said above if it works for you stick with it.  I was brought up 70yrs ago maybe a year or two earlier by my Grandfather to shoot everyhting with both eyes open and do so to this day.

For tactical survival shooting you NEED to know and use both eyes unless you want someone to creep on your blind side. This also means that a second bird appearing in the angle of vision normally used by your other eye will be not seen.  As above people who have the use of only one eye impress me no end when shooting a shotgun.as they only have 50% of their faculties vison wise and you have two eyes and should use them in my opinion..... BUT if you find your being succesful then carry on doing it.

An interesting topic (to some).

Lots of devices on the market to assist and the SP device seems to have lots of favour .

But if you believe the Shooting Press  they will push Nick Penn who advocates always shooting with both eyes open . Why I will never know because he has certainly screwed a few people up in his time , who have then had to revert to winking or blanking the 'off' eye .

Find a good instructor and get your eye issues correctly diagnosed , it will be the best money spent .

NO ! Not everyone can shoot with both eyes open .

At the end of the day it is down to what works for you and taking a few hours with a reputable instructor is always well worthwhile as no matter how long we have been shooting we can build bad habits and don't realise it until someone points them out.  I shot last year with a young man on a days pheasant shooting and he a had a monstrosity(in my eyes) fitted to the barrels of his over and under,  I asked about it and he said it had improved his results no end both on clays and live game. It looked like a red dot sight on steroids BUT he shot very well that day and it gave him confidence. Couldn't fault him.

As we're shooting clays which occasionally break and as you don't really want these sharp pieces in your eye, then unless you're already wearing prescription glasses as a matter of course, a pair of shooting glasses is not a bad idea anyway. Then, on the lens of the eye that you shut put a small patch which blocks your sight of the muzzles just as the gun comes into your shoulder - don't forget to cater for the overhead shot. This maintains 3D vision until you are just about to pull the trigger and there's no need to have to think/remember to close the relevant eye -  just shoot.

Jesus wept Walker570 - never realised the potential lethal nature of Clays before - fortunately I rarely hit one although when I do I tend to stand there, mouth open wide, in a state of shock . This would mean, as a rough estimate, over the last 5 years of shooting Clays I have inhaled the deadly dust of nearly 12 Clays!!

Edited by bruno22rf

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

There was a lad at work who lost an eye but was still able to drive. I’ve tried it and it ain’t easy; I lost all track of spacial awareness.

I’m assuming the brain adapts given time. 

A friend's wife had the same problem and it was quite an extended period before she got her driving licence back.