One Eyed Shooting

RojUK264

I have both eyes open until my cheek touches the comb and then my left eye squints. I have central dominance and if I don’t do this I see two beads/sets of barrels neither of which is on track. My cheek only touches the comb momentarily, never pre mounted. If I have my gun in shoulder for a long time I tend to lift my head off the stock to get a better view... which ruins any subsequent shots. For me the fluid move towards mount is part of the swing. 

On 18/08/2020 at 11:02, johnphilip said:

I always shoot with one eye , cos me left one dont work . Very little sight in it . Was born that way so don't know any different  . There are times when I am concentrating  on something I have to closes it . 

Same as that !

I shoot just as bad as most of the others ,

Don't get 1/2 price eye tests though .

• 1 month later...

I'm also of the school that wink as my head touches the stock. I'm left eye dominant and shoot from the right shoulder. I don't think it's a problem as you get both eyes to aquire the target, judge speed and trajectory and only go to monocular vision when you need to shoot.

Binocular vision is *not* a requirement to judge distance, it helps a lot sure, but up to a rather short distance (something like 25 meters, or 30 yards tops) after that your brain uses contextual vision to judge distance, like size of stuff, background and so on. There was a rather excellent scientific paper a while back that explained all of that. The brain is in fact very clever with 'context' to judge speed and distance, which explains why single-eyed shooters can also be very good.

Now, the only problem I had with my "winking" practice is that if the sun is low and from the right, a couple of times over the years I reflexedly did shut my... right eye instead of my left. To much hilarity.

Roj,

There is a very good post on this website from 'Hamster' who explains very well that all though he is 'cross dominant ' he learned very quickly how to shoot with both eyes open .

Anyone who has any issue with their shooting really should get it sorted by consulting a competent coach , it may not be as expensive as you have been led to believe.Most shooting grounds or more especially shooting clubs have probably got an association qualified coach who will gladly assist if asked.

8 hours ago, Salopian said:

Roj,

There is a very good post on this website from 'Hamster' who explains very well that all though he is 'cross dominant ' he learned very quickly how to shoot with both eyes open .

Anyone who has any issue with their shooting really should get it sorted by consulting a competent coach , it may not be as expensive as you have been led to believe.Most shooting grounds or more especially shooting clubs have probably got an association qualified coach who will gladly assist if asked.

I would add that money spent on a good Coach is NEVER wasted. It can save you more in the long term in cartridges and the frustration of not knowing what you are doing wrong  !

On 22/08/2020 at 11:52, WalkedUp said:

I have both eyes open until my cheek touches the comb and then my left eye squints. I have central dominance and if I don’t do this I see two beads/sets of barrels neither of which is on track. My cheek only touches the comb momentarily, never pre mounted. If I have my gun in shoulder for a long time I tend to lift my head off the stock to get a better view... which ruins any subsequent shots. For me the fluid move towards mount is part of the swing. 

100% for me also, apart from rabbit clay then I rifle them.