Exams Fiasco

semi-auto

2 hours ago, Zetter said:

For those who dossed about for two years and expected to use their photographic memory or brilliant cramming skills to ace the exams I have no sympathy as for a change Karma is a bitch you got what you deserved. 

I half agree with you there - but when it is one of your own (like mine) you can't be objective - his result will be (should be) based on what he does on the day - if he doesn't revise enough then that is his karma

Out youngest doesn't revise but still gets top marks in exams, I just hope this doesn't get turned on its head now because of the past 6 months out of school because they have had foook all interaction from the school - just an email once a week

20 minutes ago, discobob said:

I half agree with you there - but when it is one of your own (like mine) you can't be objective - his result will be (should be) based on what he does on the day - if he doesn't revise enough then that is his karma

Out youngest doesn't revise but still gets top marks in exams, I just hope this doesn't get turned on its head now because of the past 6 months out of school because they have had foook all interaction from the school - just an email once a week

I appreciate what you are saying mate. To be fair to my daughter she was gutted she couldnt take her exams as its what two years of hard slog had been building up to so she felt cheated out of the opportunity to do the exams.

From my point of view yes grades may be a bit higher but really who can we trust but the teachers. They have known the children for two years and know their abilities there was no way delaying exams would have worked as it would derail the further education system as nothing would start until at least November.

My experience as I stated earlier from our school is marking has been as fair as it could be and marks I have seen from my daughter group of friends have been in line with what they have been achieving through the two years.  

To be fair so the grades are higher this year whos it going to hurt? If your grades are artificially high then its not going to go you any favours when you hit Uni as you will struggle/ washout if you dont have the ability.

From a lot of comments I read on social media most of it is from people who just seem to want to imply that the current year have had a give me ride through A levels which really denigrates the hard work all the children have put in over the past two years. Hell a lot of them still do AS levels I know my daughter did and if she didnt pass those in the first year she was left in no doubt that she was out of A levels or would have to resit the year. 

Edited by Zetter

4 minutes ago, Zetter said:

From a lot of comments I read on social media most of it is from people who just seem to want to imply that the current year have had a give me ride through A levels which really denigrates the hard work all the children have put in over the past two years. Hell a lot of them still do AS levels I know my daughter did and if she didnt pass those in the first year she was left in no bought that she was out of A levels or would have to resit the year. 

My eldest has missed out on his AS levels this year - still to hear how the school/Wales are going to deal with this for them - there is talk about AS and A's being done at the same time!!

8 minutes ago, AVB said:

None of the solutions are ideal. But we wouldn’t have been having this debate if they had done the exams which, imo, they should have done anyway. 

Would have helped to keep students engaged as well - as I said above - lucky if my kids had an email a week from the school - with no visibility for parents either!

TBH lockdown has been a bit of a nightmare in that regard for some parents. 

7 minutes ago, Zetter said:

From a lot of comments I read on social media most of it is from people who just seem to want to imply that the current year have had a give me ride through A levels which really denigrates the hard work all the children have put in over the past two years.. 

What makes those sort of comments even more galling is that they are usually from the ‘School of hard knocks/University of life’ dregs who have chips on their shoulders about anybody more intelligent & educated than they are. 

1 minute ago, Bumble said:

What makes those sort of comments even more galling is that they are usually from the ‘School of hard knocks/University of life’ dregs who have chips on their shoulders about anybody more intelligent & educated than they are. 

Personally I am a great proponent of not just automatically going to university and I think there was a big error in the 90s to shove everyone to Uni at the expense of apprenticeships. Thankfully I can see from my firm that this now actually being reversed and there are more and more avenues for young people to get a qualification/ career and I have always been an advocate of these for those who are not of the A level mindset.

That being said from my experience having done A levels during the late 80s the teaching methods are light years ahead of where they were then from my experience with my daughters A level. I can see why results are so much better the amount of coaching and preparation that goes into A levels now is impressive and does really prepare the children to do the absolute best they can achieve.   

I see an article in todays papers that the woman put in charge of this had no teaching or educational experience at all, so what do you expect. 

I really feel for the young people who have worked and strived for good results in an education system which is ravaged by extremely bad behaviour by a portion of the young people attending, teacher abuse being rife in many.  They deserve better.

2 hours ago, Zetter said:

Personally I am a great proponent of not just automatically going to university and I think there was a big error in the 90s to shove everyone to Uni at the expense of apprenticeships. Thankfully I can see from my firm that this now actually being reversed and there are more and more avenues for young people to get a qualification/ career and I have always been an advocate of these for those who are not of the A level mindset.

I feel the same way as you - this University or bust is absolutely shocking - TBH I wouldn't mind if neither of mine went - but they need avenues which were limited before all this (also down to the place we live)

1 hour ago, AVB said:

To rub salt in the wounds I paid £500 for my son’s GCSE exams this year.  I have just received a refund of £3.50. 

Why did you have to pay?

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I see an article in todays papers that the woman put in charge of this had no teaching or educational experience at all, so what do you expect

Obviously supported the PM in something and got it as a thank you present!!!

5 hours ago, discobob said:

Agree with you mate. 

SomE students are naturally gifted, will muck about all year and still get top grades. 

Some have to study and work hard all year to achieve the same, or even lesser results. 

Just like some people are gifted as natural athletes, or very lucky, I don’t see how it’s considered fair that those students that would have achieved top grades get rubbish ones, when they potentially would have done extremely well at exams. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

To be honest I thought everybody did. If not then probably because he goes to a private school. It’s £50 per exam paid to the exam board. 

Surely that should be included in the school fees? 

It is in the private schools I have had involvement with. 

7 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Out of interest, how does it work for those that are doing technical courses/apprenticeships? A lot of their assessment is ongoing and through projects and things. What with the shut down etc they must also be affected?

My son is, 2 years into a 4 year apprenticeship. 

At the point of lock down local colleges furloughed their staff and they’ve been just left to get in with it. 

Having said that, my son’s tutor has been in contact and been brilliant, but informally.  He’s had a couple of minor issues, had his tutor not been on board. God knows where we would be.  

Edit - he passed all his plumbing units before lockdown, no idea what is happening with units since March. 

Edited by markm

5 hours ago, AVB said:

To be honest I thought everybody did. If not then probably because he goes to a private school. It’s £50 per exam paid to the exam board. 

Mine too only I had to pay for A levels ! 
Fortunately my son has an an unconditional offer at a Russell Group University.