Back on the sticks

boo

19 hours ago, boo said:

Filed & scrapped the top into shape , sand , then wet & dry through the grades , polish on the buffer , shows any Mark's up , more wet & drying till happy , then a buff....

20200821_114240.jpg

20200821_121655.jpg

Ferrule had a polish, shank wiped down & first coat of sealer , be a couple more , jobs a goodun, onto the crook next...

20200821_121950.jpg

20200821_122739.jpg

A handy tip that I saw somewhere when fitting the ferrule is to take a washer with the same outside diameter as the shaft and mark the inner ring on the end of the shaft so that when you trim down for the ferrule, it is kept central on the shaft. If that makes sense.

Anyway, brilliant work Boo. Thanks for sharing.

OB

7 hours ago, fatchap said:

Nice work, another good tip when fitting the ferrule is to use a pipe cutter,  Give you a nice neat line, of course it works fine unless there is a knot or bump right where you want your line, then its plan B,

Good idea. I`ll have to dig one out. Not used them for years.

Great thread Boo. Thanks again for posting.

May I ask how you fix the ferrule ? I have seen the traditional ways of a pin, or three indentations, but I initially used the two part epoxy glue, but had one come loose as the shaft shrank slightly, so now use a more flexible contact adhesive, but only fixing the ferrule, nothing else.

Also, are markets sticks generally shorter than crooks ?

So much to learn.

OB

Usually just use 2 part epoxy , long as it's a decent fit normally stay in place , as said you can put a center punch mark / indent in the ferrule or pin it , your choice! Dont really follow traditional stick lengths, see how it fits the body , and what length of shank you have & style aesthetically, not going into shows so just do your own thing........

As always they are some awesome sticks and my wife just said she would be afraid to take one out.

Just slightly of kilter, I have a small ten acre wood and it is full of young ash saplings which are being killed off by this awful ash die back. There are a lot which are good enough for stick making. Would you experts think it would be ok to use them.  If so and anyone within striking distance of CV9 wants some you can come and have as many as you want. I am coppicing some hazels in Oct/Nov and there will be a few hazels as well.  Don't want anyhting for them just help yourself.  PM me and we can exchange mobile numbers.