Moderator for tube fed .22 WMR

PeterHenry

Evening,

Does anyone know if the above is - 

A - possible

B - economical

I have a Marlin .22 WMR with the aforementiond tube magazine, and wonderful as it is, the guy who sold it do me said it wasent possible to moderate it. I just cant help thinking it would be ten times more useful if it was.

Thanks,

Peter

anything is possible in the case of your marlin would have to be a custom offset moderator to allow for the tube feed.

saying that  would depend on amount of barrel stickout to get a thread on but depending on barrel /tube mag clearance might be possible.

after all rimfire mods are pretty basic that any decent machinist could knock  one up with a lathe.

Edited by Remimax

39 minutes ago, Remimax said:

anything is possible in the case of your marlin would have to be a custom offset moderator to allow for the tube feed.

saying that  would depend on amount of barrel stickout to get a thread on but depending on barrel /tube mag clearance might be possible.

after all rimfire mods are pretty basic that any decent machinist could knock  one up with a lathe.

😆

Seen LOTS of tube fed Marlins fitted for the standard Parker Hale style (& similar) sound mod.

The trick?
modify, i.e. increase, the space between the front of the mag tube and the barrel just enough that the mag. tube can be loaded without catching the fitted mod. = this either means modifying the mag tube clamp, or not using it

One option that would not involve a re-proof would be to internally thread the barrel at the muzzle back for one half inch and use a moderator with a male spigot. But the truth is that none of the solutions would be as easy as buying a secondhand .22WMR already conventionally externally threaded at the muzzle. Indeed the issue of your current gun not accommodating a moderator would IMHO be enough to justify ti any FEO a variation for a second rifle that does.

On 18/08/2020 at 19:23, saddler said:

😆

Seen LOTS of tube fed Marlins fitted for the standard Parker Hale style (& similar) sound mod.

The trick?
modify, i.e. increase, the space between the front of the mag tube and the barrel just enough that the mag. tube can be loaded without catching the fitted mod. = this either means modifying the mag tube clamp, or not using it

so in effect a butcher to make it work which is fine but not a solution i would be happy with.

I had a Winchester 62A pump action rifle with a tube magazine. It was already threaded at the muzzle, but the mag tube would strike the moderator when it was removed. The previous owner removed the moderator each time he wanted to reload. Not a major inconvenience by all accounts, but not the most practical solution either. The mag tube had a knurled steel cap on it that was a few mm larger in diameter than the actual tube, so I was able to file one side of it flat which allowed it to clear the slim Parker Hale moderator. 

I'm not familiar with the Marlin WMR, but if it's front loading and the tube comes out the front, you would probably need an offset moderator that doesn't obstruct the tube. If the tube is fixed and flush with the muzzle, depending on the gap between the two, it might be possible to remove the mag tube and thread the barrel conventionally. You could then install a 1/2" UNF female to 1/2" UNF male extension, allowing the moderator to screw onto the barrel and not foul the mag tube.

Edited by Cannon

Thanks for the replies - I was mainly concerned about the noise due to the proximity of houses to a feild that I was going to shoot (one local resident feeds the foxes....) but in the end I notified the police I was going to shoot it and decided to get on with it.

I havent received any complaints and in retrospect, I dont think the houses were close enough for the occasional crack to be noticable to them.

Thanks again,

Peter

20200824_184606_compress17.jpg