Out of interest, powder charge

.308 takes between 44 and 48 grains depending on which powder used and what bullet weight. Most powders are about 46 grains for a 150 grain bullet. Sorry, can’t help much with 12 bore loadings as I don’t reload for shotguns. As a wild guess! I would say maybe 22 grains of a much faster burning powder for a 12 bore shotgun, but I admit I don’t really know.

Guest cookoff013
12 hours ago, London Best said:

.308 takes between 44 and 48 grains depending on which powder used and what bullet weight. Most powders are about 46 grains for a 150 grain bullet. Sorry, can’t help much with 12 bore loadings as I don’t reload for shotguns. As a wild guess! I would say maybe 22 grains of a much faster burning powder for a 12 bore shotgun, but I admit I don’t really know.

what this man says. 12ga 36g load 24 grain of "a specific" powder should do 1900ftlbs. 

I have dug out some figures for comparison;

.308 rifle shooting a 150 gn bullet @2800 fps in a rifle weighing 7 1/2 lbs, gives 15.8 ft/lbs recoil

12 bore shotgun shooting 28 gm load @ 1180 fps in a gun weighing 7 1/2 lbs gives 17.3 ft/lbs recoil.

There are lots of variables which will make a difference. Different bullet weight, and shot loads.  Different velocities. Different weights of gun and rifle.

When I seen the recoil of the 308 it seemed quite harsh.

When I use a 12g shotgun I use as low a load as I can get away with, I have 25g up to 30g. I can automatically  bang bang 2 barrels with 30g or 28g load, but I wouldn't fancy it with a 308. But shooting a moving gun as opposed to a static one is easier.

11 hours ago, cardigun said:

I have dug out some figures for comparison;

.308 rifle shooting a 150 gn bullet @2800 fps in a rifle weighing 7 1/2 lbs, gives 15.8 ft/lbs recoil

12 bore shotgun shooting 28 gm load @ 1180 fps in a gun weighing 7 1/2 lbs gives 17.3 ft/lbs recoil.

There are lots of variables which will make a difference. Different bullet weight, and shot loads.  Different velocities. Different weights of gun and rifle.

And 1 1\8 does 23ftlbs recoil and 1 1\4 32ftlbs recoil, only 1 5\8 is 52ftlbs, whilst 410 11\16 is only 10.5ftlbs.

For comparison 223 in 55gr only has 5.1ftlbs recoil.

Heavier the bullet the greater the recoil now fire a 577/450 martini henry full power loc milltary load

Gordon Bennett fire 50 of those in a session that will teach you a thing or two about recoil  but I love that smell kboom lol 

Edited by hafod

Guest cookoff013
8 hours ago, hafod said:

Heavier the bullet the greater the recoil now fire a 577/450 martini henry full power loc milltary load

Gordon Bennett fire 50 of those in a session that will teach you a thing or two about recoil  but I love that smell kboom lol 

do people use recoil pads ? or recoil protection underneath the jacket? 
i thought about velcro-ing a pad  underneath my vest, but i normally have a taped pad. 

i`m never firing 66 gram loads again.

16 hours ago, hafod said:

Surely similar to firing 31g (450 grains) 12 bore OU at same velocity (1350ft/sec), punishing but doable as both guns weigh about the same (9lb)?

Your Quite right

stout recoil in the rifle but murder to use in the carbine i.d say in the carbines full power load cartridges about the same recoil as a 4 bore fowler I.d say 

on the mk 1 martini henry there's a knack to firing it on the rear of the receiver there's an oval checkered detent you place your thumb there when you fire

if you dont and wrap your thumb around the wrist of the stock as you do with any other gun

well let's just say with full power 100 + grain loads of black powder the recoil brings your thumb into painfull contact with your nose vey often making it bleed

a great way to bring the resident club know it all down to earth and we all know one on the firing line dont we lol  

Edited by hafod