Gun fit for gun Grandson uses

worrall26

Hi Lads,

Harry my Grandson shoots with Parker Hale Skeet gun1/4 an1/4 choke. Shoots well some of the time. Does not  come up great to his cheek and shoulder.

looking for comb raiser, got a Bisley stock extender but still not long enough. Feel as though it will take a few tweaks.

Any opinions guys.

Edited by worrall26

1 hour ago, worrall26 said:

Hi Lads,

Harry my Grandson shoots with Parker Hale Skeet gun1/4 an1/4 choke. Shoots well some of the time. Does not  come up great to his cheek and shoulder.

looking for comb raiser, got a Bisley stock extender but still not long enough. Feel as though it will take a few tweaks.

Any opinions guys.

Shoots well some of the time.

To me that suggests it could be a problem with an inconsistent mount. But I suppose he may be adjusting himself around a poor fitting gun. Does it have an exceptionally short stock or is the fella quite long in the arms? 

10 hours ago, worrall26 said:

Hi Lads,

Any opinions guys.

Stock extender? How big is he?

Sounds like he needs a different gun.

However, comb raisers are available on ebay the gel type.

On first glance I thought the thread would be about cutting down a stock to fit a child and not about extending a child's gun for an adult ?

As stated above, much more information is needed. I have a 6 year Grandson that shoots and a 17 year old Granddaughter that shoots,  both of which shoot differant styles and sizes of gun.

You could try getting him to face you and after checking the gun is empty, ask him to mount the gun at your face with his eyes closed, and to keep them closed until you check where his shooting eye is in relation to the rib. Ask him to do this a few times. If you can’t see his eye at his end of the gun, or you see too much eye, then it’ll give an indication of what needs doing. Ensure his cheek is sat on that comb too. 
It’s a good way to see how consistent his mount is also. Ideally you need to see his eye sat on top of that rib each and every time. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

You could try getting him to face you and after checking the gun is empty, ask him to mount the gun at your face with his eyes closed, and to keep them closed until you check where his shooting eye is in relation to the rib. Ask him to do this a few times. If you can’t see his eye at his end of the gun, or you see too much eye, then it’ll give an indication of what needs doing. Ensure his cheek is sat on that comb too. 
It’s a good way to see how consistent his mount is also. Ideally you need to see his eye sat on top of that rib each and every time. 

Gosh, that brought back memories of my first gun fit with Nigel Teague where we went through this process repeatedly after which he determined (my crude description) that I was looking along the barrels at 10 to the hour so there was a need to put a cast in the stock and also drop the stock a tad.

There's an interesting article on theyorkshiregent.com on how to fit a shotgun to yourself.

Edited by Bobba

Go and see a coach/gun fitter.  It is really the only way to find out if;

1. He is being consistent (which is essential before fitting a gun)
  2. He has a suitable gun mount/style/stance
  3. What (if anything) needs to be done on the gun to alter fit.

It will, at the end of the day be money well spent and should boost his confidence as well.

21 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Shoots well some of the time.

To me that suggests it could be a problem with an inconsistent mount. But I suppose he may be adjusting himself around a poor fitting gun. Does it have an exceptionally short stock or is the fella quite long in the arms? 

Stock 14 1/2 pull. Tall and Lanky. arms are long. Tried my s/s once. Not for him.

12 hours ago, Scully said:

His eye is always below. Nearly 6ft slight built , long arms. 15 years old. We would have called him punnie years ago

11 hours ago, Bobba said:

Gosh, that brought back memories of my first gun fit with Nigel Teague where we went through this process repeatedly after which he determined (my crude description) that I was looking along the barrels at 10 to the hour so there was a need to put a cast in the stock and also drop the stock a tad.

There's an interesting article on theyorkshiregent.com on how to fit a shotgun to yourself.

Will have a look at that article.

My main aim as to what comb raisers and stock extenders did you use. Seen them on ebay etc, but what did you use, and where they any good. Will adapt them to fit.

13 hours ago, Scully said:

Milestone that. 21,000 posts. I'm a rookie,

1 hour ago, worrall26 said:

Will have a look at that article.

My main aim as to what comb raisers and stock extenders did you use. Seen them on ebay etc, but what did you use, and where they any good. Will adapt them to fit.

I did not do it myself by experimenting with comb raisers  / stock extenders from fleabay. That is why I Went to a Professional gun fitter / gunsmith who determined my  personal quirks for the gun fit and adjusted the stock accordingly. In very crude terms Worrall, they put the stock in a machine and bend it.  I recommend you See a professional, as does JohnfromUK. So come on Grand dad dig deep. That's what we grand dads are for 😇 ATB

7 minutes ago, Gunman said:

From past experience weight is one of the biggest problems for young shooters as can be longer barrels .

A  session good gunfitter would be my first suggestion but it may well be he has "too much gun" .

Balance is as key if not more so both contributors you mention barrel length and weight affecting balance of course. 

Temporary comb raisers are a PITA. Get some cardboard and electrical tape. Once you have it right then you can buy a shop one.

Cast is rarely looked at in lessons. It took an Olympic level coach to actually tell me I needed an awful lot of cast. I beg all teachers to remember cast as part of the mix.  

9 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Temporary comb raisers are a PITA. Get some cardboard and electrical tape. Once you have it right then you can buy a shop one.

Cast is rarely looked at in lessons. It took an Olympic level coach to actually tell me I needed an awful lot of cast. I beg all teachers to remember cast as part of the mix.  

Cereal packet cardboard is best.

There are a couple of reasons for that!

Long heavy barrels, too much drop on the stock, wrong stock length etc. etc..

I would try it on a pattern plate 1st, then head off to a gunshop where they have a 'try gun' and an experienced person who can take his measurements.

That is the base line.

They can measure his gun against his individual try gun measurements.

Possibly then alter the gun or trade it in for something that fits.

Money very well spent and his confidence should then build.

Gun fit will alter over time remember, given his age.

With a gun that fits get him on the easy incoming clays - slow and steady, until he can dust almost every one, before moving to something else. Don't be tempted to race around the clay ground trying everything.

Always good to have 2 people shooting, then you can take turns and the other can take a break and reflect while the other has say 5 shots.

I wish I had some guidance at that age - spent 25 years using a gun that shot 1 yard high at 40 yards !

Good luck and great that you can help him out.

It could end up being quite expensive as he is a growing lad and will fill out quickly. I would recommend https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bisley-Adjustable-Shoulder-Buttplate-Shotgun/dp/B007WFJY3K to add LOP and also second the cardboard with electrical tape for the comb. Weight and balance is important too, get him on the dumbbells and also put a little lead in the stock cavity if it is front heavy. If you hold a sledge hammer by the end of the shaft it is very hard to use it to point, if you hold it by the head you can wave it effortlessly. There is a good Ben Hustweight video on gun fit for young shots on Fieldsports British. 

If you have the cash see a professional gun fitter. When I’m rich that’s what I’ll do. 

17 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Cereal packet cardboard is best.

There are a couple of reasons for that!

Pray do tell :eh:

Methinks that there could be a joke there Dave.

Edited by Old Boggy

On 21/08/2020 at 10:33, welshwarrior said:

Balance is as key if not more so both contributors you mention barrel length and weight affecting balance of course. 

I was referring to the fact that many youngsters do not have the physical strength to hold mount hold and swing a gun consistently .I have on many occasions suggested that practice mounting  and building up strength is a good thing .