Unusual notice on computer.

VicW

When I switch on my laptop i get this notice come up when the PC has fully booted up. It sometimes appears when going back to the desktop.It goes away if you click on 'retry' or 'switch to'. Any ideas on how to get rid of it permanently?

Vic.

DSC00279.JPG

5 hours ago, SpringDon said:

You could use task manager to find the application that displays the message and remove it from the startup group or, if it’s a service, make it a manual start.

it could be something you don’t even use so you could disable it completely.

This is about right. Trial and error as to what one it is. 

22 hours ago, discobob said:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/quot-server-busy-quot-error/td-p/9195259?page=1 This is resolved by a new hard drive - has your machine started running slowly?

Also seen some hints on apple and adobe products stuck on update - do you have any of these installed @VicW ??

Hi Bob, My machine is not running slowly and I do not use apple or adobe products. Thanks.

Vic.

This is still happening. I have a suspicion that a programme called 'Pokki Start Menu' may be involved. I think that this is program that is downloaded via some websites and was intended to provide a start menu for Windows 8 that apparently didn't have one. The programme is listed in Control Panel but if you try to uninstall it a warning comes up telling that you will lose your start menu which was reintroduced with Windows 10..

Has anyone uninstalled Pokki Start Menu without dire consequencies?

Vic.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

This takes you to the Control Panel programmes and features which I have already tried and got the warning that uninstalling would remove the start menu form my computer, implying that it would remove the Windows start menu. 

Thanks anyway.

Vic.

10 hours ago, VicW said:

Antivirus or malwarebytes doesn't detect it as a virus or malware. The PC runs normally I am just suspicious of the programme or app whatever you want to call it.

Vic.

It will be malware. Anything downloaded and installed in that manner and without your expressed consent is malware. Get an upto date malware programme. Or just ignore the warnings its giving you and get rid of it. Back up your computer first of course. 

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-pokki-start-menu.html  should explain it a bit better an how to remove it. It is a version of a virus and adware/malware. 

On 24/08/2020 at 19:16, VicW said:

This takes you to the Control Panel programmes and features which I have already tried and got the warning that uninstalling would remove the start menu form my computer, implying that it would remove the Windows start menu. 

Thanks anyway.

Vic.

I have removed the 'Pokki Start Menu' from my PC by using the uninstall function in 'Control Panel ' It has had no effect on the Windows 10 Start Menu, whether it has cured the original query I do not yet know.

Vic.