Electric chainsaw

Ricko

Hi, I'm thinking about getting an electric chainsaw and wondered if the forum members have any experience to share.

I don't need a petrol one, I've got about a dozen of them but thought about an electric one to cut up some pallet wood for the winter.

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Ricko said:

Hi, I'm thinking about getting an electric chainsaw and wondered if the forum members have any experience to share.

I don't need a petrol one, I've got about a dozen of them but thought about an electric one to cut up some pallet wood for the winter.

Thanks in advance.

Good choice. They're lighter, quieter and less smelly for small, easy task like your pallet job, there's no point in anything else. Definitely go cordless, if you can.  Just think about whether water resistance in the battery unit is something you'll need. They're not all designed to be completely weather resistant. Stihl do a couple of very decent ones. 

There are too many daft beggars in this world who get the biggest, meanest saw they can afford and forget about whether it's the right tool for the job! I needed a  decent, semi-pro and picked up a Husqvarna 550XPG from a chap who'd been using it for pallets and the occasional kindling creator out of wrist-thick branches. Talk about overkill...

45 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

There are too many daft beggars in this world who get the biggest, meanest saw they can afford and forget about whether it's the right tool for the job! I needed a  decent, semi-pro and picked up a Husqvarna 550XPG from a chap who'd been using it for pallets and the occasional kindling creator out of wrist-thick branches. Talk about overkill...

I know exactly what you mean. I tend to use a combination of a Stihl MS170, Jonsered 2045T and a Husqvarna 340 for nearly all tree related jobs. I occasionally wheel out one of the last Swedish built Partners with a 36" bar.

I just want to be able to whizz up some pallet wood quickly and conveniently.

Thanks for the responses so far.

1 hour ago, Medic1281 said:

I’ve got a cordless makita and it’s ideal for such jobs. In fact, a mate of mine is selling her stihl ms360 in favour of the makita. The 360 is way too much saw for her!!

Just looked up some of the Makita battery saws with li-ion batteries, looks very impressive. 

I almost bought one until I saw that no battery or charger was included and it doubled the price almost instantly lol. 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just looked up some of the Makita battery saws with li-ion batteries, looks very impressive. 

I almost bought one until I saw that no battery or charger was included and it doubled the price almost instantly lol. 

So buy the drill or impact that come with the battery. Least then you'll get something with the battery haha

10 hours ago, Ricko said:

Thanks in advance.

I have just cut up 56 pallets and used a circular saw. Just my opinion but the circular saw is far easier than a chainsaw on pallets.

3 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You need 2 and then charging station 🤣

It certainly makes it expensive. But I’ve already got the batteries and charger so it makes sense for me. I’m looking at getting my friend the stihl cordless as she’s got no  other cordless tools or batteries. 

43 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

It certainly makes it expensive. But I’ve already got the batteries and charger so it makes sense for me. I’m looking at getting my friend the stihl cordless as she’s got no  other cordless tools or batteries. 

Considering you can get the Stihl petrol small one for just over £150 it’s hard to justify the cost imo. 

I have a screwfix Oregon corded chainsaw its 2 years old and has had some pretty heavy use, I think I paid £80 for it when it was on offer it does drink the oil but has an interesting self sharpening device fitted to it that worked well untill a couple of weeks ago not sure if I have broken the sharpener or whether it needs a good clean. After cutting a good quantity of ash logs I engaged the sharpener, sparks fly from the chain and its back sharpe again after about 20 seconds its been a good saw and I would not hesitate buying another as it suits my purpose.

MM

https://www.screwfix.com/p/oregon-cs1500-2400w-230v-electric-45cm-self-sharpening-chainsaw/6285k

9 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Considering you can get the Stihl petrol small one for just over £150 it’s hard to justify the cost imo. 

It depends whether cost is the only criterion. But you still have to pay for fuel for the petrol-driven one. 

But the electric ones are significantly quieter, greatly reduced vibrations, lighter weight and no emissions. The fuel doesn't degrade and you won't end up tipping petrol over everything if you're a bit of a spanner when it comes to filling. All valuable criteria for many.

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

It depends whether cost is the only criterion. But you still have to pay for fuel for the petrol-driven one. 

But the electric ones are significantly quieter, greatly reduced vibrations, lighter weight and no emissions. The fuel doesn't degrade and you won't end up tipping petrol over everything if you're a bit of a spanner when it comes to filling. All valuable criteria for many.

Yes all very good points. 

Im still tempted to get one :) 

46 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

It’s down to ease of use. She doesn’t want mixed petrol lying around, usually struggles to start the saw due to stale petrol. She just wants the convenience of picking it up and going. Also, it’s confidence, personally I think the petrol ones scare her although she won’t admit to it! 

27 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

If your scared of starting a saw or are unable to fill it, you shouldn't be using one. Full stop. 

True. Although the ms360 she’s currently got, that was her dads until he passed away is a bit of a beast, and totally not suitable for her. So she’s selling that. She feels, and I agree, that on her 10acres with horses and the very little wood she cuts up that a battery saw would be more appropriate. It’s the ideal saw for her. 

I carry a Makita UC4051a 110v corded chainsaw in the van with me. It's done 6 yrs with me and was second hand when I bought it, can't recommend it enough. Bought my brother the 240v version and he scoffed but is now converted. Will handle a piece of seasoned 10inch ash no worries. Only point to remember with all electric saws WATCH YOUR OIL LEVEL, main cause of failure is getting carried away and with no petrol to run out you can easily neglect the bar oil.

15 hours ago, The Heron said:

The one which we use on our clay shoot is fantastic it's worked most of the day on beech trees on a single charge if you can hang on I will find out the make. 

The one we use is called EGO a great piece of kit. 

Edited by The Heron
Missed out words

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

If your scared of starting a saw or are unable to fill it, you shouldn't be using one. Full stop. 

Spot on 👍.

A still ms170 or 180 with a 10 inch bar ,  is , more usable , more portable , and generally , much better all round than an electric saw , they're a pleasure to use , however,  you do have the noise issue , and having fuel hanging around could be an issue.