Permanent 4WD and tyres

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Joust my opinion:

Any diff which is not strong enough to withstand a few fractions of an inch difference in rolling diameter is not strong enough/has no place on/will not last long on a 4x4.

I had never thought of the difference in diameter until Scotslad mentioned it. 

But I am with you, again a difference of say 12mm tread depth is less than an inch difference in diameter. Surely it's not that significant?  

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

I had never thought of the difference in diameter until Scotslad mentioned it. 

But I am with you, again a difference of say 12mm tread depth is less than an inch difference in diameter. Surely it's not that significant?  

Multiplied by 3.1417 for the difference in rolling circumference it starts to look more significant, but are we not talking about supposedly ‘tough trucks’?

I must mention this to my independant VERY experienced tyre man next time I visit. I will have my ear plugs in because I do not like rude language:lol:

I have owned three Range Rover Classics, and a Land Rover 90 and have a friend who was one of the design engineers on those vehicles at LR and this subject has never been raised. 

30 minutes ago, London Best said:

Multiplied by 3.1417 for the difference in rolling circumference it starts to look more significant, but are we not talking about supposedly ‘tough trucks’?

It's a fair point when you put it like that. 

I wonder how much difference it actually makes?

Edited by ClemFandango
6 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

It's a fair point when you put it like that. 

I wonder how much difference it actually makes?

I know if you run a Land Rover axle with a 7.50x16 on one side and a 205x16 on the other side it warms the diff up a lot! Needs must situation at the time.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

I know if you run a Land Rover axle with a 7.50x16 on one side and a 205x16 on the other side it warms the diff up a lot! Needs must situation at the time.

I'll take your word for that. I don't have the balls to try it myself. 

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I must mention this to my independant VERY experienced tyre man next time I visit. I will have my ear plugs in because I do not like rude language

I have owned three Range Rover Classics, and a Land Rover 90 and have a friend who was one of the design engineers on those vehicles at LR and this subject has never been raised. 

Its not an issue on either of those vehicles transmissions!