DiY hydrodipping

Harry136

I've seen it done professionally, it looked ok from a distance but not very good up close and it chipped badly. Looks about as good as a falss plastic walnut dashboard in a car.

Be better off with fine artist brush and black India ink on stripped back wood then refinish.

I've hydro'd a few game controllers, magazines etc. As you say, with a clear coat the finish is pretty tough. I've had my xbox controller for about 7-8 years with zero wear.

Wood would be a bit more of a risk, being a bit more flexible than plastic, but it should work fine with a decent base coat.

I'd sand flat, not back to bare wood, then base coat. If that takes fine then the hydro film should adhere no problem. Then a decent PU top coat and you should be good to go

The finish was high gloss lacquer finish, it still chipped badly. Walnut isn't a hard hardwood.

I have a carbon fiber dipped Benelli SuperSport, they come dipped from new with a Matt lacquer finish, still chips and wears, had to re coat with matt lacquer in places of wear. Another friend had his full fac airgun hydrodipped in cammo, scope mounts the lot, chipped scratched and worn just the same.

My Benelli M2 grass cammo wore at the muzzle and was hardly used also got a chip in the finish along a edge. 

You sound confident in the finish you will achieve, go for it. I can only offer advice on experience.