Broken forend screw

Croohur

Hello all,

I bought an old Merkel Model 8 circa 1974 recently. Its in good condition (except for the trigger pull). I did notice when I was giving a good clean that one of the screw heads is completely snapped off, so I only have one side of the screw head to work with. The bottom of the screw comes out at the top of the forend latch in photo 1. Just wondering what would be the best way to get this screw out without damaging the woodwork?? I have tried to search for an answer but it always gives me details about screws snapped in half.  I didnt notice at the time because it was full of 40 yr old dirt as was everything else....

IMG_20200820_103514.jpg.a4a130dd8bf3ca8d01a6da86158dc345.jpg

IMG_20200820_103524.jpg

Edited by Croohur

If you absolutely have to take it out....for example wanting to repair or replace it you could try a fine flat punch or sacrificial screwdriver and a hammer to tap it anti clockwise. Could also try a dot of cold weld compound or epoxy and stick a piece of metal onto it, grab with vise grips and unscrew it.

7 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

If you absolutely have to take it out....for example wanting to repair or replace it you could try a fine flat punch or sacrificial screwdriver and a hammer to tap it anti clockwise. Could also try a dot of cold weld compound or epoxy and stick a piece of metal onto it, grab with vise grips and unscrew it.

Thanks for the advice. Its not essential that it be removed, beyond the fact that if it is like the rest of the gun there is going to be a ton of crud between the metal and wood which offends my sensibilities in general. Buf it there is a chance of causing greater harm, Id probably take Tightchoke's advice and leave well enough alone. I just wanted to see if there was some little trick/gadget that I'd missed over the years. I did try tapping with an old screwdriver to try and turn it, but its well screwed in and I was reluctant to hit any harder than I was.

4 minutes ago, Croohur said:

Thanks for the advice. Its not essential that it be removed, beyond the fact that if it is like the rest of the gun there is going to be a ton of crud between the metal and wood which offends my sensibilities in general. Buf it there is a chance of causing greater harm, Id probably take Tightchoke's advice and leave well enough alone. I just wanted to see if there was some little trick/gadget that I'd missed over the years. I did try tapping with an old screwdriver to try and turn it, but its well screwed in and I was reluctant to hit any harder than I was.

Depending on the diameter of the screw shank and how accurate you are you could try running a 1/16 drill into the centre and use an easy out to reverse it out

I'm firmly in the leave well alone camp but.. 

If it were mine and had to come out I have some engraving tools, one of which is a fine chisel/parting off shaped tool which will cut the screw head slot. I see it's just still there. Deepen the slot and find a tight fitting screwdriver. I'd also, before turning apply some heat to the screw by heating steel rod, no larger than the end you're heating, to a dull red and holding it on the screw. Heat then travels along warming the screw and melting any gunge or varnish stuck to it. 

But probably I'd try and talk myself into leaving well alone. 

23 hours ago, Mr.C said:

"But probably I'd try and talk myself into leaving well alone." 

It's a constant battle, I really want to get the forend latch off and give it a good scrub, but may admit defeat on this...... for now. I'm hoping in the near future some new technologies will have nanobots who can crawl in there and extract this for me. 

On 21/08/2020 at 12:27, Croohur said:

Hello all,

I bought an old Merkel Model 8 circa 1974 recently. Its in good condition (except for the trigger pull). I did notice when I was giving a good clean that one of the screw heads is completely snapped off, so I only have one side of the screw head to work with. The bottom of the screw comes out at the top of the forend latch in photo 1. Just wondering what would be the best way to get this screw out without damaging the woodwork?? I have tried to search for an answer but it always gives me details about screws snapped in half.  I didnt notice at the time because it was full of 40 yr old dirt as was everything else....

IMG_20200820_103514.jpg.a4a130dd8bf3ca8d01a6da86158dc345.jpg

IMG_20200820_103524.jpg

Perhaps one of these would do it, although you`d have to drill it out a bit first.

OB

IMG_0721.JPG

18 minutes ago, manton said:

Screw will not come out during drilling unless you use a left hand drill in a machine in reverse..Left hand drills are available and are  often used for this task.

What direction do you think the screw will turn when drilling from the small end, like I mentioned above?

As others have said drill it out, when you drill a hole in the screw or bolt thread it usually eases the thread and they come out.

Worst case you drill and tap for next thread size up and fit a new screw.

Don't forget to centre pop the centre before drilling.

Edited by figgy