Returning to school

AVB

It’s all kicking off at my children’s school. They have a number of Chinese international boarders who’s parents have complained that the school isn’t doing enough in respect of covid and ‘insisting’ that the school makes children wear masks at all times, including during lessons. Now the school panders to these parents as they can be quite lucrative in respect of fees. There will be trouble if they try to impose it though. 

We overlook the school that our kids go to, they have been queuing since 8.15 this morning and have all just (09:11) got into the school. We were lucky in being able to see and just sent the lad when the queues started going down. This is the 2nd largest school in Wales with people being brought in by bus from all over the place

43 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

1st positive case confirmed at my daughters school last night ….

The beast is going to take quite some taming ….

Just returned from my picture framers; he tells me that one of the kids parents at his daughters school has just tested positive. 
I agree, this ain’t going away anytime soon and it’s really starting to bore me now. 
I have been invited to participate in a major art fair again in March, but am going to have to say no due to the uncertainty of it all. Major major pain. 

On 25/08/2020 at 10:07, semi-auto said:

Oh dear! The teachers at the school for which I work, have worked throughout the Lockdown period, providing online lessons (more than 200 laptops were provided for students without access to computers at home) and, planning future lessons, just in case they fell victim to the virus. All students were contacted on a daily basis, lessons delivered, homework set and marked and pastoral care put in place for those who required it. This included counselling for those students displaying mental health issues. Meals, not only for students at the Academy, but also their younger siblings were provided. In addition, the Academy's sponsor  provided food baskets for the more needy families in the area. Planning for September has been an enormous task, not only in terms of keeping students safe, but also making 'catch up' provision. I cannot understand those who believe that teachers have been sitting on their hands for seven months.

Some have! Not all schools are equal. My daughters would set work, but had some stupid complicated website to send it back on. We have a **** laptop where you can’t see a portion of the screen and our printer is broken. The luverly government wouldn’t pay me any furlough while expecting me not to work, so cant just go out and spend £600 on a new laptop and printer. I had to copy out worksheets, to not have anything marked. No feedback from teachers to my daughter. One phone call, not even from her teacher. Nothing marked, nothing checked. No visits.

ive heard of schools sending back marked work etc. But even then, they are doing less work than normal and can’t complain 

8 hours ago, southeastpete said:

Some have! Not all schools are equal. My daughters would set work, but had some stupid complicated website to send it back on. We have a **** laptop where you can’t see a portion of the screen and our printer is broken. The luverly government wouldn’t pay me any furlough while expecting me not to work, so cant just go out and spend £600 on a new laptop and printer. I had to copy out worksheets, to not have anything marked. No feedback from teachers to my daughter. One phone call, not even from her teacher. Nothing marked, nothing checked. No visits.

ive heard of schools sending back marked work etc. But even then, they are doing less work than normal and can’t complain 

You are complaining about having no visits during one of the worlds biggest contagious pandemics by a person that may have visited and entered 30 odd households? 

I have heard West Derby in Liverpool have shut a school - and plenty of others apparently - with my kids school having 1700 in it I would imagine it is not if but when.

We had a couple of phone calls (not the kids) from the school over the period, with the kids getting set some worksheets - no need to complete and return for marking or anything - at 14/15 and 16/17 trying to force kids to do anything is nigh on impossible. When we said we needed access to their (our kids) email so we could see what was going on - nope - weren't allowed - can we be copied in - nope - Then why are you talking to us then!!!

4 minutes ago, discobob said:

I have heard West Derby in Liverpool have shut a school - and plenty of others apparently - with my kids school having 1700 in it I would imagine it is not if but when.

We had a couple of phone calls (not the kids) from the school over the period, with the kids getting set some worksheets - no need to complete and return for marking or anything - at 14/15 and 16/17 trying to force kids to do anything is nigh on impossible. When we said we needed access to their (our kids) email so we could see what was going on - nope - weren't allowed - can we be copied in - nope - Then why are you talking to us then!!!

Bizarre!

55 minutes ago, discobob said:

A bloke at work had similar, he got a scathing email off his son's school, asking why he didn't make sure his child attended the online test.

A test that he had no knowledge of and likewise no access to or CC of the email about the test.

He not so politely explained that if the school and his son failed to inform him, how was he supposed to make sure his son attended something he had zero knowledge of ???.

I believe after many emails the school eventually agreed to keep him in the loop by CCing him into the communications, they didn't want to at the start though :no:

15 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

A bloke at work had similar, he got a scathing email off his son's school, asking why he didn't make sure his child attended the online test.

A test that he had no knowledge of and likewise no access to or CC of the email about the test.

He not so politely explained that if the school and his son failed to inform him, how was he supposed to make sure his son attended something he had zero knowledge of ???.

I believe after many emails the school eventually agreed to keep him in the loop by CCing him into the communications, they didn't want to at the start though :no:

At their age you can only go off what they tell you - where we are - Wales - they can register when to vote at 14, and have the vote (for welsh elections - Labour trying to keep in power 😞 )at 16

We really lucked out - their Junior School was regarded as one of the best in Wales, then the old headmaster retired just after our eldest started - and they replaced him with a right witch - similar with the high school - when the eldest started it was a new headmistress who looks and acts like she would faint at the sight of a wet paper bag. We have no engagement at all from the school with the exception of Parents Evening and despite all our best efforts trying to get anything out of our kids is like trying to find a gasket for our double glazing - nigh on impossible!!!

Edit - Just to Add - we are older parents - having skipped a generation near enough so are totally disengaged from what the education system is like whereas there are parents of kids same age as ours that weren't even born when we left school!

Edited by discobob