Heads up, dog thieves, Cheshire.

scobydog

There's been reports of a white transit type van going around the Chester, Whitchurch, Oswestry and knutsford areas. The people are getting out leaving the back doors open and looking over fences and in gardens for dogs. Police  are aware and are following up on this. Just be aware if you live in these areas please.  Apparently they are being really threatening to dog owners whilst trying to take their dogs.

S

7 minutes ago, scobydog said:

There's been reports of a white transit type van going around the Chester, Whitchurch, Oswestry and knutsford areas. The people are getting out leaving the back doors open and looking over fences and in gardens for dogs. Police  are aware and are following up on this. Just be aware if you live in these areas please.  Apparently they are being really threatening to dog owners whilst trying to take their dogs.

S

A Molotov cocktail in through the open back doors would sort that nonsense out

Thanks for the heads up.

We are being very careful with our dogs and have fitted locks on all our gates now. Fortunatley all our fences are all solid 6-7 ft ones.

Just now, Rob85 said:

A Molotov cocktail in through the open back doors would sort that nonsense out

Trouble is they might have somebody else's dogs already in the back. ☹

1 minute ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Thanks for the heads up.

We are being very careful with our dogs and have fitted locks on all our gates now. Fortunatley all our fences are all solid 6-7 ft ones.

Trouble is they might have somebody else's dogs already in the back. ☹

I suppose there is a danger of collateral damage. The people that do this are an absolute cancer on society and I just wish the law could be more severe on them when caught. A few 20 year sentence would maybe make the scum think twice

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Registered number????

Hi Walker, 

Not yet but as soon as I hear it I'll put it on here. My wife's friend was approached and told to hand over her 13 year old Border terrier . She managed to run off away with the dog thankfully.  That was Whitchurch @ 1 hour ago.

S.

***! The world seems to have gone nuts over this.

The suspects names, criminal record, court appearance notes, facebook accounts, registration numbers, photos and even where they are parked up is all over FB. If they really are guilty of the crimes they are accused of they won't take a lot of finding, especially as there are hourly updates of their whereabouts.

It is hysteria, folk are wetting themselves because zip ties are found on lamp posts and they are secret signs for dognappers. A woman I know foiled them this morning by removing all the zip ties in the village. Zip ties on lamp posts are a really bad secret sign, nearly every junction has them. :D Used to hold missing cat posters, wasp nest adverts, etc etc but apparently once the poster has rotted off and blown away they become secret signs for dognappers.

At least people are keeping their dogs on leads for a change, apart from next door whose dog has been reported found on FB 5 miles away yet again. They leave the dog to roam free and are then "distraught" when it goes missing (on a more than weekly basis).

A brilliant example of this madness was someone reported on the local FB group that a red van had been spotted in the village. No other details whatsover, just a red van. Could just as easily have been the postman.

Later when asked for more details it turned out the poster hadn't actually seen a red van but was just passing on a message she had been given. Bonkers in the extreme!

8 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

The suspects names, criminal record, court appearance notes, facebook accounts, registration numbers, photos and even where they are parked up is all over FB. If they really are guilty of the crimes they are accused of they won't take a lot of finding, especially as there are hourly updates of their whereabouts.

It is hysteria, folk are wetting themselves because zip ties are found on lamp posts and they are secret signs for dognappers. A woman I know foiled them this morning by removing all the zip ties in the village. Zip ties on lamp posts are a really bad secret sign, nearly every junction has them.  Used to hold missing cat posters, wasp nest adverts, etc etc but apparently once the poster has rotted off and blown away they become secret signs for dognappers.

At least people are keeping their dogs on leads for a change, apart from next door whose dog has been reported found on FB 5 miles away yet again. They leave the dog to roam free and are then "distraught" when it goes missing (on a more than weekly basis).

I don't think the police reports are hysteria.

8 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

It is hysteria, folk are wetting themselves because zip ties are found on lamp posts and they are secret signs for dognappers. A woman I know foiled them this morning by removing all the zip ties in the village. Zip ties on lamp posts are a really bad secret sign, nearly every junction has them.  Used to hold missing cat posters, wasp nest adverts, etc etc but apparently once the poster has rotted off and blown away they become secret signs for dognappers.

Its going nuts over it because to some people, their dogs are virtually a member of the family, so it's not really that surprising is it. 

18 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

It is a hysterical disproportionate reaction to actual events. 

Is it? Someone, or possibly a group of people is driving around a community stealing people's pets, like I said earlier, some people see their dogs as family. Would you be being hysterical if someone was driving around your area kidnapping women or kids and would you be concerned then? 

Chester Police FB page 6 hours ago
We’re aware of a number of posts on social media regarding the theft of dogs across the county.
So far, only one incident has been reported to us, which took place near Malpas on 18 Aug where an unknown man in a white van attempted to steal a dog as a woman was walking nearby.
If you have been targeted and have not yet reported it to the police, or if you have any information which could assist with our enquiries, please don't post online

One incident 3 days ago. 
Anyway, join in the hysteria if it makes you feel better. I will carry on knowing just where my dog is as always.

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:
Chester Police FB page 6 hours ago
We’re aware of a number of posts on social media regarding the theft of dogs across the county.
So far, only one incident has been reported to us, which took place near Malpas on 18 Aug where an unknown man in a white van attempted to steal a dog as a woman was walking nearby.
If you have been targeted and have not yet reported it to the police, or if you have any information which could assist with our enquiries, please don't post online

One incident 3 days ago. 
Anyway, join in the hysteria if it makes you feel better. I will carry on knowing just where my dog is as always.

I'm not anywhere near there, if I was, I would have very normal and rational concern and take sensible precautions, including being on the look out for anything suspicious. 

I do agree with you, the best way to guard against this sort of thing is to know where your dogs are at all times and keep dogs indoors, rather than outside kennel. 

The ones suspected of this have been in the Midlands and north wales. They are defo dodgy and upto no good but as Cheshire police have said only one reported incident.

This bunch have moved, as of yesterday, and thought to be a few miles away in another village toward Whitchurch.

All irish plates and crappy cars and caravans. 

Looking at local fb pages people love to slag off the police, but never report anything... and just like sabs they think a conviction can be gained with a crappy pic of two guys in van. Evidence is needed.

On 22/08/2020 at 10:31, del.gue said:

The ones suspected of this have been in the Midlands and north wales. They are defo dodgy and upto no good but as Cheshire police have said only one reported incident.

This bunch have moved, as of yesterday, and thought to be a few miles away in another village toward Whitchurch.

All irish plates and crappy cars and caravans. 

Looking at local fb pages people love to slag off the police, but never report anything... and just like sabs they think a conviction can be gained with a crappy pic of two guys in van. Evidence is needed.

Bang on this. 

People slate the Police for not doing enough but when they come around asking questions more often than not people don’t want to talk to them.