How can this be justified

hodge911

First of all I'm not taring all vets with the same brush ....

My sister has a small maltipoo 

( maltese x poodle ) who won't eat bones or dentastix ect to help keep his teeth clean. 

She has tried many times to brush them but can't and I hold my hands up neither can I 

So when they get dirty she gets them done at the vets .

They can't manage either unless they sedate him... 

For the last twice they charged her £100 .... 

He was booked in yesterday for exactly the same process and when she picked him up she nearly passed out when the bill was £346 YES I DID SAY £346 

How the heck can they justify more than treble the cost ? To me they can't it pure racketeering and needs reporting ... 

But she won't 

3 hours ago, hodge911 said:

First of all I'm not taring all vets with the same brush ....

My sister has a small maltipoo 

( maltese x poodle ) who won't eat bones or dentastix ect to help keep his teeth clean. 

She has tried many times to brush them but can't and I hold my hands up neither can I 

So when they get dirty she gets them done at the vets .

They can't manage either unless they sedate him... 

For the last twice they charged her £100 .... 

He was booked in yesterday for exactly the same process and when she picked him up she nearly passed out when the bill was £346 YES I DID SAY £346 

How the heck can they justify more than treble the cost ? To me they can't it pure racketeering and needs reporting ... 

But she won't 

Get her to mix Proden PlaqueOff in his food. Its a type of seaweed that loosens existing plague and prevents new plaque getting stuck on the teeth. It works very well. For a small dog you only need a tiny amount.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have owned working dogs for over 60yrs and have never ever had to clean the dogs teeth. What on earth are these people feeding their dogs on ?

It's a 76yr lady that lives on her own lap dog she looks after the dog very well . It gets fed "a special diet from the vets" that costs a fortune per month . 

It's me that's not happy with the cost ... she'll pay what ever she gets asked to ....

12 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I have never had to clean teeth, bath or brush a dog. Sometimes you make your own problems out of choice. 

Slightly different scenarios like above it's a 76yr old lady's lap dog .... having said that tho it does get walked 3 x a day for at least a hour at a time.

13 hours ago, washerboy said:

It won't eat bones... I bet it does before it starves to death.. 

Typical man answer you got no chance of an old lady having that attitude 

Sorry, should have been more helpful. I am glad your sister’s dog is giving her joy and exercise. What is it’s normal food? Dry kibble is better for their teeth. I feed meaty bones, non weight bearing bones from pigs or sheep. Even a lap dog should want to strip the meat off them? 

2 hours ago, hodge911 said:

It's a 76yr lady that lives on her own lap dog she looks after the dog very well . It gets fed "a special diet from the vets" that costs a fortune per month . 

It's me that's not happy with the cost ... she'll pay what ever she gets asked to ....

Slightly different scenarios like above it's a 76yr old lady's lap dog .... having said that tho it does get walked 3 x a day for at least a hour at a time.

Typical man answer you got no chance of an old lady having that attitude 

Based off your description of her and the way she treats the dog, my personal advice would be to stay out of her business. 

She won’t listen to whatever you tell her anyway, and your life will be easier and less stress if you don’t have to consider her letting herself get fleeced. 

6 hours ago, washerboy said:

Maybe she isn't in the right mind to own a dog, as are a lot of people I know. It's an animal, if it's fit and healthy and has manners then all good. It's not a child. 

You think like me. They are not children. I have a friend and I see the Facebook posts from her all the time regarding her "baby". The dog is either referred to by name or as "my baby" and last year the thing seemed to be chronically ill. I didn't have the heart to tell her that her dog is on the verge of being "loved to death" by being carried everywhere and not exercised properly and fed on rubbish. It doesn't surprise me that all these small fashion bred lapdogs seem to be the ones that suffer from all sorts and wind up on special vet prescribed (rip off) diets that could have been prevented by being fed decent food, given some fresh air and exercise and some good discipline.

346 quid to get teeth brushed? My last dog didn't cost me that in vet bills through her whole life..... including the eventual euthanasia cost and ashes in a nice box.

10 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

You think like me. They are not children. I have a friend and I see the Facebook posts from her all the time regarding her "baby". The dog is either referred to by name or as "my baby" and last year the thing seemed to be chronically ill. I didn't have the heart to tell her that her dog is on the verge of being "loved to death" by being carried everywhere and not exercised properly and fed on rubbish. It doesn't surprise me that all these small fashion bred lapdogs seem to be the ones that suffer from all sorts and wind up on special vet prescribed (rip off) diets that could have been prevented by being fed decent food, given some fresh air and exercise and some good discipline.

346 quid to get teeth brushed? My last dog didn't cost me that in vet bills through her whole life..... including the eventual euthanasia cost and ashes in a nice box.

You can have opinion .....

But in this instance your a million miles away from reality.

The dog is not a "pampered pooch" he gets fed twice a day as recommend by the vet on food bought from the vet . He is walked 3x a day every day regardless of weather for at least a hour at a time . He doesn't get stuffed full of doggy treats and never gets fed "human food" .

Yes he lives inside with her he is allowed on the sofa next to her but in a dog bed on top of a blanket . He sleeps in a cage over night and travels in a cage in boot of hatchback ..so I do not agree with your comments at all in this instance... 

He is on a vets diet from having stomach problems from birth .... I posted this topic solely to highlight what I THINK is an unacceptable price increase for a procedure that the last time she had done only cos £100. 

She has given a dog bought probably from a bad money grabbing breeder a very very good and full life where I think many people would have NOT bothered trying considering how I'll it became very soon after she took ownership .

And yes she did ask to  see parents ect at home address .

Unfortunately for her the dog was BORN WITH HEALTH ISSUE OF THE STOMACH......

So please no more comments like that 

I use a vets that has opened a dental health care clinic for pets and every time I take a dog in to the vets no matter what for they always look at the teeth and advise some sort of dental work, it has come to the point that I have purchase the seaweed extract a few weeks ago the same one mentioned   in a post on this subject just to try and get the vets of my back .

Do I think it's a con no but I do think its business 

8 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

Yes vet's just seem to charge what they like when they like. There seems to be no rules on vets prices at all. Insurance companies paying a few claim's and vet's cashing in on it. I have been asked prior to treatments, ''is the dog insured ?'' as if there's a separate price list .

She spent upwards of£5.5k last year between her practice and then they referred her to the super vet knowl Fitzpatrick cancer unit with her other dog 

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

Jesus ............. Think maybe a kinder suggestion, although heart breaking ?

It was a poodle x german shepherd .. it had a very aggressive cancer .

from first sign of it to death via 5 vet visits 2 to her go to vet who then referred her to Fitzpatrick cancer unit was 6-7 weeks

I told her to keep him at home until he showed signs of distress then send him on his way without going to the "super vets"( as I read up on and asked a vet who comes as a gun on the shoot I drive the game cart on and it's an incurable diseases as once you see any outward signs its too late ) but her granddaughter begged her to try. 

Each visit came with the same result .... a scan which the results showed whatever had been done in the previous visit hadn't worked ... but then came the words" that hasn't worked but we could try this and come back next week " and add another 1k+ to the insurance bill. And each time was the same until her son said what I had at the beginning and she sent the gentle giant quietly on his way.... before I start getting slated for calling the "super vet"  I will agree he does outstanding work but in this instance I didn't agree with what was in my opinion false hope ...... but everybody is different it was her dog her call .

Edited by hodge911