£425 Socks

JTaylor91

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a good look at the purdey socks....and they remind me of when my aunty flo found out that i was going to minsmere beach and i didnt have a swimming costume.....so she knitted me one with a pyjama drawstring.........they were very itchy ...and when i played in the surf they trapped a lot of sand in the wool...and when i stumbled out of the sea the crotch hung down to my knees...(not a good look)

saying that i rekon my anunty flo could knit better than that at 1/2 the price

22 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i had a good look at the purdey socks....and they remind me of when my aunty flo found out that i was going to minsmere beach and i didnt have a swimming costume.....so she knitted me one with a pyjama drawstring.........they were very itchy ...and when i played in the surf they trapped a lot of sand in the wool...and when i stumbled out of the sea the crotch hung down to my knees...(not a good look)

saying that i rekon my anunty flo could knit better than that at 1/2 the price

I can empathise with you Ditchy, because I had exactly the same experience!

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Go on show us a picture!:lol::w00t:

Actually, here is a picture in existence somewhere. 
But it will NOT be appearing!

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Apparently only on Tuesdays!

this is not funny and no jest......................if any of you has ever worn woollen swimming trunks knitted by your granny....you would understand what i went thro

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Yes, Ditchy was told if he wanted to attract the women, he should put a large sausage shaped stone down his trunks. Trouble was, he put it down the back :lol:

25 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

The what? The "Purdey Owners' Club"? Oh my gosh. How naff. No doubt populated by the sort of people who pay to have the maker's name inlaid in gold. Whatever next? Do you get a rear window sticker with every membership it to go in your car?

Slightly better than the Morris marina owners club Though 

no window sticker but you do get a cup of tea in the long room at Audley house if you’re in Mayfair 😊

and invites to assorted events 😊

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

The what? The "Purdey Owners' Club"? Oh my gosh. How naff. No doubt populated by the sort of people who pay to have the maker's name inlaid in gold. Whatever next? Do you get a rear window sticker with every membership it to go in your car?

No more “naff” than the people who frequent clay grounds wearing skeet vests proclaiming ‘Beretta’ or ‘Browning’

I don’t see the difference.

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Slightly better than the Morris Marina Owners Club..

Did it re-birth itself later as the "Ital Owners Club". 

The Austin Ital.

A car that it took more than a mere change of consonant from a "Z" to a "T" still didn't prevent it from being referred to as something that was usually pretty close to sh...

Edited by enfieldspares

9 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Did it re-birth itself later as the "Ital Owners Club". 

The Austin Ital.

A car that it took more than a mere change of consonant from a "Z" to a "T" still didn't prevent it from being referred to as something that was usually pretty close to sh...

You’ll have to ask a member in the motoring section for the definitive answer to that 😂😂

During school swimming lessons in the late 60s; if you used the excuse that you had forgotten your trunks you were given a pair of maroon knitted trunks from the Baths 'lost property box' tied at the waist with a rope salvaged from the Mary Rose. As soon as you hit the water they they began to expand. When exiting the water you needed one hand to hold the trunks up and another to climb the ladder. The embarrassment escalated as all your mates shouted "elephants crutch"

you only very forgot your trunks once

13 hours ago, London Best said:

No more “naff” than the people who frequent clay grounds wearing skeet vests proclaiming ‘Beretta’ or ‘Browning’

I don’t see the difference.

i remember at one time..........and indeed you still see them.............skeet shooters wearing shell suits and trainers....and matching suits "his an hers"

40 minutes ago, Diver One said:

During school swimming lessons in the late 60s; if you used the excuse that you had forgotten your trunks you were given a pair of maroon knitted trunks from the Baths 'lost property box' tied at the waist with a rope salvaged from the Mary Rose. As soon as you hit the water they they began to expand. When exiting the water you needed one hand to hold the trunks up and another to climb the ladder. The embarrassment escalated as all your mates shouted "elephants crutch"

you only very forgot your trunks once

see....i told you ...

11 hours ago, figgy said:

How to drown your child, knitted swimwear. 

My uncle was telling me about learning to swim.in an open air seawater pool in the sea. Nearly drowning because of knitted woollen trunks when wet came up to your armpits. 😄

see i told you

as mentioned before it was mental abuse...........and i have never recovered from it

For those with personal memories of wearing knitted swimming costumes suggests that we're all gentlemen of a particular age (group).

The comments brought back memories of the local corporation baths in Kingsdown, Bristol. The springboard was anything but. More a thick slice of tree trunk. Wearing my newly knitted trunks I recall jumping off the board and surfacing with trunks around my ankles due to the weight of water. very embarrassing. As already said, climbing out of the pool with one hand holding up your trunks. But times were different then. Make do and mend. So knitted trunks were the order of the day.

Edited by Bobba

Well my socks arrived earlier,   I think they're great value for money , but the cheaufer has been sulking all day because I didn't get him a pair , I'm sure I heard him call me a xxxx when he thought I wasn't listening.