Sound level meter suitable for testing 20g loads.

Ah ok.

The little I know about is that the dB meter is setup at a fixed point like a Chrony and the gun hold point is the same for each shot, held over a marker stick to ensure consistent results.

Quiet day.

Several shots with each cartridge fired and the average dB is recorded for each load.

Maybe results are worthwhile / maybe not?

Testing 20 cartridges it is difficult to remember the level of noise, so I am keen to make the exercise as worthwhile as possible. 

Using a Chrony gives accurate fps readings for different loads  - I am endeavoring to do the same for dB levels. 

Edited by Shotkam

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I have to ask........WHY?

The advantages of the correct ammunition in combination with a Hushpower shotgun for pest control can only be appreciated if you use that combination.

Different factory brands vary radically in dB as to home loads with different powders.

I would say that the effectiveness of pest control depends on a number of factors, one of which is the choice of gun and ammunition.

Get all the factors as close to perfect as possible and this will directly effect the bag size.

Others are not so clinical in their approach of course.

16 minutes ago, Shotkam said:

Difficult to find someone who has used a dB meter, so I think I will just buy something basic and utilise it to the best of my ability.

I'd be very happy to share my findings.

If you think it will make any difference then crack on. 
I don’t think the volume of noise will make any difference at all. In fact, if I were ever to buy another .22 ( never going to happen) I would not even bother with a moderator.

On quieter days a moderated gun will make a massive difference to the effectiveness of your pest control at the end of the day.

Paired corvids for example often travel following at a distance in relation to each other and time and time again the 2nd bird will come on after the first is down, whereas with a non moderated gun that is never going to happen.

Some will not agree, whereas others who do a lot of pest control and have used moderated and unmoderated will realise the multiple benefits.

Each to their own of course.

Edited by Shotkam