First out on pigeons

sam triple

Pups now 10 months old , and his training has been coming on in leaps and bounds with nothing fazing him , we made a decision to give him a few hour’s on the pigeons, sat in a ditch with me whilst a mate shot he was as steady as a rock with 4 down we let him have a go at picking them up , I was a bit apprehensive as I wasn’t sure what to expect from him , but in mine and my mates view for a young dog he was faultless each one was bought back , next my mate moved right next to us and bagged another 3 once again he was as steady as , again he picked each one with ease I’m absolutely over the moon with him 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice dog, looked confident picking and holding the bird. 

Not sure if the whistle was needed as he was already on his way back 🤷‍♂️

Little work on presentation with dummies (get him coming into your feet and sitting) and then try to replicate that with the pigeons :)

He looks very nice though Sam and I’d be happy with that as a start :)

Please take the above as positive points to help you improve, not criticisms if there ok :) 👍🏻

10 minutes ago, B725 said:

He is coming on well, and this is not a criticism but I wouldn't let him retrieve them all just the odd one. If you are not careful he will very soon think that he can pick up everything. 

Well done. 

Thanks Note taken cheers ,  as said it was a see if he can exercise my mate actually said the same about short distance shot birds , what made it better was a mixture of wheat stubble and cut rape 

7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Nice dog, looked confident picking and holding the bird. 

Not sure if the whistle was needed as he was already on his way back 🤷‍♂️

Little work on presentation with dummies (get him coming into your feet and sitting) and then try to replicate that with the pigeons :)

He looks very nice though Sam and I’d be happy with that as a start :)

Please take the above as positive points to help you improve, not criticisms if there ok :) 👍🏻

No criticism taken every days a school day he’s the first dog I’ve had in about 30 years so I’m always open for help and suggestions, I use the whistle to keep him focused on me , maybe  I could use it less , yes his presentation was a little off but for his first time picking up I can’t be upset with him ,usually dummies are back to hand 

On 23/08/2020 at 16:11, B725 said:

Next time you take him out make sure to sit him up and he sees you go out and pick them and he dosnt move then near the end just let him have the last one, that will be his reward for sitting still. 

Hopefully get out again Sunday so I’ll give it a go , I do practice that with a dummy he sits whilst I throw it around and pick it up , before I let him start retrieving them , just to calm him down more than anything 

Thats good but remember the pigeon is a lot more tempting than the dummy ever will be its very easy to rush thing's getting caught up in pleasure of seeing the dog retrieve and I've been guilty of it in the past and believe me it can go wrong quicker than you think.

Let us know how you got on and hope you shoot a few 👍

1 hour ago, B725 said:

Thats good but remember the pigeon is a lot more tempting than the dummy ever will be its very easy to rush thing's getting caught up in pleasure of seeing the dog retrieve and I've been guilty of it in the past and believe me it can go wrong quicker than you think.

Let us know how you got on and hope you shoot a few 👍

Note taken and thanks will do 

Personally I wouldn’t be taking him out at his age. 
I have a 10 month old Labrador bitch who is coming on well with her training, but she is a good 12 months from being ready for the field. 

All your hard work up to this point could be ruined by the increase in desire from retrieving warm game. 

6 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

I have a 10 month old Labrador bitch who is coming on well with her training, but she is a good 12 months from being ready for the field. 

All your hard work up to this point could be ruined by the increase in desire from retrieving warm game. 

Hi thanks for your concern , , as previously said it was a can do exercise , and he proved he could there is no way he’s ready for this coming season on either pheasants or fowling but a few hours in a hide or in the bottom of a ditch , to get him used to being still whilst all is going on around him can only be a good thing , if we go out this Sunday I’ll do as B725 suggested and I’ll pick up while he sits and waits and let him have a few at the end 

Well was out with pup on pigeons again for a few hours this morning, did what B725 said ,after we had a few down I sat pup under a tree and picked them up whilst he just sat there , you could see he was like a coiled spring ready to go , but I kept telling him to wait ( unfortunately batt in go pro flat ) but he did it , so a bit more shooting this week 2 of us were shooting and really couldn’t care less he just sat in the ditch licking his #### , or looking at the dead bird on top of the bank but never moving to get it , another 6 down we called it a day knowing we had a few wounded we let him pick the dead first to make sure he wouldn’t do anything silly ie a runner with it or tear it to bits but he bought them back beautifully, next the runners I’ve taught him not to chase birds so obviously he was a little hesitant at first but with a little coaxing he got into it picking all 3 runners and bringing them back , really proud of him 

2 minutes ago, B725 said:

Again not criticism but don't let on many runner's just yet just take your time,and well done.

Ok thanks , I try to take it as constructive criticism rather than demeaning, as I said before every days a school day and the only to get better is to listen and learn 👍👍

It's never meant as demeaning,but doing too much too soon can give you problems later. You can undo in 5 minutes what you have achieved in months and it will take a lot more effort to correct it, little steps forward is better than skipping parts of the training now.

22 minutes ago, B725 said:

It's never meant as demeaning,but doing too much too soon can give you problems later. You can undo in 5 minutes what you have achieved in months and it will take a lot more effort to correct it, little steps forward is better than skipping parts of the training now.

👍👍 noted thanks 

Lets look at it from the dogs point of view at his young age and still a lot to learn if he has a lot of runners now he may think when he sees a pheasant running and if you are not looking he might think oh dad wants me to fetch that then you end up with the dog running in.

Everyone's comments are made in-order to help Sam :) ... I myself and most likely everyone else here has made plenty of mistakes with ours, so if we can make comments that help you to avoid those mistakes you'll be in a much better position. 

Some of the reasons for not doing certain things are as follows: 

Sending a young and inexperienced dog for runners can cause a lot of issues with running in etc. Your dog is very young and inexperienced, often dogs that don't know the game yet will look to be doing it all right, as they don't know the excitement yet, so at the moment he has done really well every time which it great... however often it's a few sessions later your dog might start running in, as he has learned that the shot = bird down... and he has learned a bird flapping about (a runner) is a great reward to go and catch, and in the past you've told him to go and get them, so he thinks hes doing you a big favour going to get them... 

Also just watch when you say you have him sitting and waiting, causing him to be like a coiled spring.

He is only a pup at 10 months, and that kind of frustration and getting wound up like a spring can lead to dogs making noise and whining. Best avoided if you can, as it is considered a major fault, and also is bloody annoying to boot. I don't know many people who have been able to stop it once it starts bad... so easier avoided in the first place :) 

He looks a nice solid and bold dog :) I like him. Not sure all that shouting and encouragement is needed, he looks in his element, save the shouting and high fuss for when he is hesitant or something, otherwise the dog just gets used to you making loads and loads of noise and you start to become background noise and not listened to... just like I have done to my Mrs :lol: ... fortunately I can still repeat word for word her last nonsence when she looks at me angrily and says "what did I just say?!"... 

Worth getting a copy of the J regs off the KC website, it's nice to see how they should be and gives you an idea of what you could achieve :) ... quiet/silent handling is highly commended. 

11 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Everyone's comments are made in-order to help Sam  ... I myself and most likely everyone else here has made plenty of mistakes with ours, so if we can make comments that help you to avoid those mistakes you'll be in a much better position. 

Some of the reasons for not doing certain things are as follows: 

Sending a young and inexperienced dog for runners can cause a lot of issues with running in etc. Your dog is very young and inexperienced, often dogs that don't know the game yet will look to be doing it all right, as they don't know the excitement yet, so at the moment he has done really well every time which it great... however often it's a few sessions later your dog might start running in, as he has learned that the shot = bird down... and he has learned a bird flapping about (a runner) is a great reward to go and catch, and in the past you've told him to go and get them, so he thinks hes doing you a big favour going to get them... 

Also just watch when you say you have him sitting and waiting, causing him to be like a coiled spring.

He is only a pup at 10 months, and that kind of frustration and getting wound up like a spring can lead to dogs making noise and whining. Best avoided if you can, as it is considered a major fault, and also is bloody annoying to boot. I don't know many people who have been able to stop it once it starts bad... so easier avoided in the first place  

He looks a nice solid and bold dog  I like him. Not sure all that shouting and encouragement is needed, he looks in his element, save the shouting and high fuss for when he is hesitant or something, otherwise the dog just gets used to you making loads and loads of noise and you start to become background noise and not listened to... just like I have done to my Mrs  ... fortunately I can still repeat word for word her last nonsence when she looks at me angrily and says "what did I just say?!"... 

Worth getting a copy of the J regs off the KC website, it's nice to see how they should be and gives you an idea of what you could achieve  ... quiet/silent handling is highly commended. 

Advice like this is priceless !!!  😃

On 25/08/2020 at 22:25, WelshAndy said:

Cracker she is mate :) 

Ground looks bloody nice as well! 

3 hours ago, sam triple said:

Ok thanks , I try to take it as constructive criticism rather than demeaning, as I said before every days a school day and the only to get better is to listen and learn 👍👍

My comment was not meant to be demeaning bud, I’ve learnt a lot over the years from making mistakes. 
Too keen, expecting the dog to do everything like the first time etc. 

you’re doing a grand job 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Cracker she is mate :) 

Ground looks bloody nice as well! 

Thanks Lloyd 👍🏻

ah tis beautiful Snowdonia 😎

12 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Thanks all advice duly taken , nothing is take as criticism but as a guiding hand and I appreciate it all 

Sam, he looks a cracking dog. 

Your going to have a real belter there :), avoiding little things now will make the next few years a lot easier :) 

Cant wait for see him next season!