First out on pigeons

sam triple

10 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

My comment was not meant to be demeaning bud, I’ve learnt a lot over the years from making mistakes. 
Too keen, expecting the dog to do everything like the first time etc. 

you’re doing a grand job 👍🏻

Thanks Lloyd 👍🏻

ah tis beautiful Snowdonia 😎

It wasn’t taken as demeaning and I welcome and thank all comments 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Sam, he looks a cracking dog. 

Your going to have a real belter there , avoiding little things now will make the next few years a lot easier  

Cant wait for see him next season! 

Thanks he really is a cracker and everyone we meet compliments him on his looks and behaviour apart from usual puppy going ons we’ve never had a problem with him 

Hi Sam 

Just to add another bit when you send the dog out for a dummy or a bird can you stop him first time every time what ever the distance bring him back and either let him do something else or he ignores it.

It's only then when I would even concider starting him on runners and then it would only be the easy ones. 

Did anyone watch the BASC pro game keeper / senior lecturer with his dog on Fieldsports Britain this week? I felt so bad for the guy, he was giving training advice and in the background his dog was completely ignoring every attempt at recall. In the end he gave up. There are times when you don’t want the dog to make a retrieve on which it is sent. Stop whistle, redirect or recall. Train using split dummies. 

11 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Did anyone watch the BASC pro game keeper / senior lecturer with his dog on Fieldsports Britain this week? I felt so bad for the guy, he was giving training advice and in the background his dog was completely ignoring every attempt at recall. In the end he gave up. There are times when you don’t want the dog to make a retrieve on which it is sent. Stop whistle, redirect or recall. Train using split dummies. 

Yes I saw it 🙈 blowing his trumpet and bigging himself up when his dog was free hunting/retrieving. 

50 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

The thing is, I know a few people now who are top trainers (Im not even close to them) ... but they would cringe at being asked to parade themselves out as some sort of BASC pro trainer. 

They don’t need to parade around making claims, as the results speak for themselves. 

A lot of the decent pros don’t bother with tests etc anymore, as they’re normally for novices to dip their toe in the gundog competitions. 

48 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

Yes I saw it 🙈 blowing his trumpet and bigging himself up when his dog was free hunting/retrieving. 

As I’m talking about working tests... 

It'll be well worth your time to find some working gundog / retriever clubs near you Sam and go along and see what they’re like... there should be some trials this year, although sadly many will be cancelled. 

If it wasn’t for Covid you’d probably be able to go along and help out but I’m not sure if that’ll be an option. I did that at a Spaniel trial and got to stand with the judges and see all the action and the top dogs. 

Come next Spring / Summer if you join some clubs you might have access to some group training... a real test of steadiness isn’t your dog remaining steady to flush, shot and fall... it’s your dog doing that and then also remaining steady when 3 other dogs in the line break off in hot pursuit, with their owners chasing them shouting and waving their arms 🤣🤣. You’d be surprised how many never expected that to happen and never trained their dog for it 🤣🤣

Then come next Summer you could probably run him in a puppy novice test if you fancy it? :) 

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

As I’m talking about working tests... 

It'll be well worth your time to find some working gundog / retriever clubs near you Sam and go along and see what they’re like... there should be some trials this year, although sadly many will be cancelled. 

If it wasn’t for Covid you’d probably be able to go along and help out but I’m not sure if that’ll be an option. I did that at a Spaniel trial and got to stand with the judges and see all the action and the top dogs. 

Come next Spring / Summer if you join some clubs you might have access to some group training... a real test of steadiness isn’t your dog remaining steady to flush, shot and fall... it’s your dog doing that and then also remaining steady when 3 other dogs in the line break off in hot pursuit, with their owners chasing them shouting and waving their arms 🤣🤣. You’d be surprised how many never expected that to happen and never trained their dog for it 🤣🤣

Then come next Summer you could probably run him in a puppy novice test if you fancy it? :) 

Tbh I’ve never tried to stop him when’s going after a dummy , I can however stop from chasing after other dogs with the whistle 85pc of the time then he’ll stop and wait until I get a lead on him , and yes Covid has cost me at least. 8 weeks in training so I was going over the basics time and time again until a mate offered to help out , Maybe I’m jumping the gun a little but I hope you can see why I’m so pleased with his progress because it was only 3 months or so a go he wouldn’t return anything let alone a bird 

If you do anything too much a clever dog learns to anticipate it. Mix it up and keep rewarding the basics. Even don’t always recall from a sit, go back to the pup to praise on the spot, then walk away again leaving it in the sit. So it doesn’t anticipate you coming back means it is time to hot foot it. 

55 minutes ago, London Best said:

Just beware of overdoing the stopping after being sent exercise. It is very easily overdone and you can finish up with a ‘sticky’ retriever which stops in anticipation of the whistle. 
Ask me how I know!

Oh go on then how do you know?😅 

• 4 weeks later...

Took pup down the foreshore this morning managed to get a Canada goose down , he was right on it across the water on to the mud flat picked it and bought it back ,not once did he hesitate in his retrieval , he’s an absolute tank and I couldn’t be happier with him 

Edited by sam triple

5 hours ago, sam triple said:

Took pup down the foreshore this morning managed to get a Canada goose down , he was right on it across the water on to the mud flat picked it and bought it back ,not once did he hesitate in his retrieval , he’s an absolute tank and I couldn’t be happier with him 

Well done Sam :) 

Bet your chuffed with that. Get any good pics? 

5 hours ago, sam triple said:

Why have you removed the picture?

20 minutes ago, B725 said:

Why have you removed the picture?

Unfortunately he sat his bum down on top of my gun , I know it was unloaded with the flag in the breach as we were packing up when I took the photo , and to tbh I didn’t realise until I posted so rather than get slated I took photo down 

40 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Well done Sam :) 

Bet your chuffed with that. Get any good pics? 

Chuffed is an understatement, I know he’s still young but he’s determination is incredible and he just wants to please , big jump from a pigeon though , 

On 31/08/2020 at 22:01, WelshAndy said:

Always good to keep them guessing... as stated above never overdo the stop whistle - but definitely worth practicing 👍🏻

Nice dog, fast and keen, as well as the perfect stop going out and the retrieve it might be worth mentioning the gully/narrow track you are using to get the dog straight lining on the out and return retrieve, this is also a great way to get the dog used to coming to your feet and also stop him running past you doing a J return.

21 minutes ago, old'un said:

Nice dog, fast and keen, as well as the perfect stop going out and the retrieve it might be worth mentioning the gully/narrow track you are using to get the dog straight lining on the out and return retrieve, this is also a great way to get the dog used to coming to your feet and also stop him running past you doing a J return.

Thank you sir 👍🏻

On 27/09/2020 at 17:06, sam triple said:

Unfortunately he sat his bum down on top of my gun , I know it was unloaded with the flag in the breach as we were packing up when I took the photo , and to tbh I didn’t realise until I posted so rather than get slated I took photo down 

Chuffed is an understatement, I know he’s still young but he’s determination is incredible and he just wants to please , big jump from a pigeon though , 

8EA98AF6-F770-4CF3-99A5-13E9E6C9B4E1.png

• 4 weeks later...

Another trip to the foreshore last night with a mate typically as we arrived about 90 Canada’s took off from a field and were never seen again , but 1 was left behind unable to fly we took the decision to carry on with our plan to shoot and come back for the Canada afterwards, which we did , sent the dogs off to see if they could find it after about 10 mins of running around in the pitch black they headed towards a large wet area of the field peering into the darkness Jake emerged with injured goose in his mouth , again as pleased as punch with him. Just over a year old now and still work in progress but we’re getting there