Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

My comment was not meant to be demeaning bud, I’ve learnt a lot over the years from making mistakes. 
Too keen, expecting the dog to do everything like the first time etc. 
 

you’re doing a grand job 👍🏻

Thanks Lloyd 👍🏻
 

ah tis beautiful Snowdonia 😎

It wasn’t taken as demeaning and I welcome and thank all comments 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:


Sam, he looks a cracking dog. 
 

Your going to have a real belter there , avoiding little things now will make the next few years a lot easier  

Cant wait for see him next season! 

Thanks he really is a cracker and everyone we meet compliments him on his looks and behaviour apart from usual puppy going ons we’ve never had a problem with him 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sam 

Just to add another bit when you send the dog out for a dummy or a bird can you stop him first time every time what ever the distance bring him back and either let him do something else or he ignores it.

It's only then when I would even concider starting him on runners and then it would only be the easy ones. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone watch the BASC pro game keeper / senior lecturer with his dog on Fieldsports Britain this week? I felt so bad for the guy, he was giving training advice and in the background his dog was completely ignoring every attempt at recall. In the end he gave up. There are times when you don’t want the dog to make a retrieve on which it is sent. Stop whistle, redirect or recall. Train using split dummies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Did anyone watch the BASC pro game keeper / senior lecturer with his dog on Fieldsports Britain this week? I felt so bad for the guy, he was giving training advice and in the background his dog was completely ignoring every attempt at recall. In the end he gave up. There are times when you don’t want the dog to make a retrieve on which it is sent. Stop whistle, redirect or recall. Train using split dummies. 

Yes I saw it 🙈 blowing his trumpet and bigging himself up when his dog was free hunting/retrieving. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Did anyone watch the BASC pro game keeper / senior lecturer with his dog on Fieldsports Britain this week? I felt so bad for the guy, he was giving training advice and in the background his dog was completely ignoring every attempt at recall. In the end he gave up. There are times when you don’t want the dog to make a retrieve on which it is sent. Stop whistle, redirect or recall. Train using split dummies. 


The thing is, I know a few people now who are top trainers (Im not even close to them) ... but they would cringe at being asked to parade themselves out as some sort of BASC pro trainer. 
 

They don’t need to parade around making claims, as the results speak for themselves. 
 

A lot of the decent pros don’t bother with tests etc anymore, as they’re normally for novices to dip their toe in the gundog competitions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

Yes I saw it 🙈 blowing his trumpet and bigging himself up when his dog was free hunting/retrieving. 


As I’m talking about working tests... 

 

It'll be well worth your time to find some working gundog / retriever clubs near you Sam and go along and see what they’re like... there should be some trials this year, although sadly many will be cancelled. 
 

If it wasn’t for Covid you’d probably be able to go along and help out but I’m not sure if that’ll be an option. I did that at a Spaniel trial and got to stand with the judges and see all the action and the top dogs. 
 

 

Come next Spring / Summer if you join some clubs you might have access to some group training... a real test of steadiness isn’t your dog remaining steady to flush, shot and fall... it’s your dog doing that and then also remaining steady when 3 other dogs in the line break off in hot pursuit, with their owners chasing them shouting and waving their arms 🤣🤣. You’d be surprised how many never expected that to happen and never trained their dog for it 🤣🤣
 

Then come next Summer you could probably run him in a puppy novice test if you fancy it? :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:


As I’m talking about working tests... 

 

It'll be well worth your time to find some working gundog / retriever clubs near you Sam and go along and see what they’re like... there should be some trials this year, although sadly many will be cancelled. 
 

If it wasn’t for Covid you’d probably be able to go along and help out but I’m not sure if that’ll be an option. I did that at a Spaniel trial and got to stand with the judges and see all the action and the top dogs. 
 

 

Come next Spring / Summer if you join some clubs you might have access to some group training... a real test of steadiness isn’t your dog remaining steady to flush, shot and fall... it’s your dog doing that and then also remaining steady when 3 other dogs in the line break off in hot pursuit, with their owners chasing them shouting and waving their arms 🤣🤣. You’d be surprised how many never expected that to happen and never trained their dog for it 🤣🤣
 

Then come next Summer you could probably run him in a puppy novice test if you fancy it? :) 

Tbh I’ve never tried to stop him when’s going after a dummy , I can however stop from chasing after other dogs with the whistle 85pc of the time then he’ll stop and wait until I get a lead on him , and yes Covid has cost me at least. 8 weeks in training so I was going over the basics time and time again until a mate offered to help out , Maybe I’m jumping the gun a little but I hope you can see why I’m so pleased with his progress because it was only 3 months or so a go he wouldn’t return anything let alone a bird 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do anything too much a clever dog learns to anticipate it. Mix it up and keep rewarding the basics. Even don’t always recall from a sit, go back to the pup to praise on the spot, then walk away again leaving it in the sit. So it doesn’t anticipate you coming back means it is time to hot foot it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, London Best said:

Just beware of overdoing the stopping after being sent exercise. It is very easily overdone and you can finish up with a ‘sticky’ retriever which stops in anticipation of the whistle. 
Ask me how I know!

Oh go on then how do you know?😅 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...