lightweight waterproof jacket

blankmag

49 minutes ago, blankmag said:

any ideas ? spring summer waterproof jacket for pigeon shooting and work days on the shoot nothing super expensive must be tuff and durable  and breathable for hot days . 

I do not think it has been made ...................yet  !

The closest that I have come is a Rohan Helix jacket, BUT it is almost £300.  I was tempted to buy one in their recent sale at £150, but decided that I have enough gear as it is.  I have a lightweight packable suit by Napier, jacket (with hood) and overtrousers. It is great IF you are just sitting in a hide, but a bit "Boil in the bag chicken" like if you as much as walk out to the deeks. I have a lightweight jacket by Snowbee (fishing jacket) which is heavier, but does have good sized cartridge pockets and hand warmer pockets and also has an excellent peaked hood. I got mine off the bay at £70.  For clays I use a Rohan Wind and showerproof jacket under a skeet vest. It packs into its own pocket  and goes into the rear pocket on my skeet vest.

Edited by Westley

1 hour ago, blankmag said:

any ideas ? spring summer waterproof jacket for pigeon shooting and work days on the shoot nothing super expensive must be tuff and durable  and breathable for hot days . 

The only thing that fits your description is true GORE-TEX. You might find some bargains available as stock needs to move on, and outlets need to sell stuff to create cash flow.

My experience of Austrian Army gear was that whilst I was standing upright, it was OK. If I sat or knelt down, the it leaked at the pressure points. My shooting/fishing Pal got a very wet backside fishing from a boat during a heavy shower. I gave mine away to some young beaters, after warning them of it's downfalls.

3 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yep look at Austrian Army Goretex m65 jacket from surplus and outdoors. Super value in grade 1

3 hours ago, Westley said:

My experience of Austrian Army gear was that whilst I was standing upright, it was OK. If I sat or knelt down, the it leaked at the pressure points. My shooting/fishing Pal got a very wet backside fishing from a boat during a heavy shower. I gave mine away to some young beaters, after warning them of it's downfalls.

I've said this before in the distant past....

Goretex isn't GORE-TEX (trademark). GORE-TEX is 100% waterproof and breathable. I've worn golf over-trousers made of GORE-TEX while fishing, sitting for hours in the rain. Legs felt cold and damp, but took the over-trousers off after the session and I was bone dry. Still wear them under certain camo trousers when raining or just need an extra layer.

I don't know what Goretex is made of as a material, but it ain't waterproof,,,, HTH 😉

9 hours ago, JKD said:

Goretex isn't GORE-TEX (trademark). GORE-TEX is 100% waterproof and breathable. I've worn golf over-trousers made of GORE-TEX while fishing, sitting for hours in the rain. Legs felt cold and damp, but took the over-trousers off after the session and I was bone dry. Still wear them under certain camo trousers when raining or just need an extra layer.

I don't know what Goretex is made of as a material, but it ain't waterproof,,,, HTH 😉

My experience is you need a good wicking insulating layer under all these fabrics. The only thing that is truly breathable is your skin. The damp feeling is nearly always internal condensation. I wear the Austrian jackets for picking up in foul weather on the hill and so far have had no issues. I am sure there are better but as with everything it comes at a cost.

It is all according to how lightweight. I have a simple Dickies rain suit (jaket and trousers) which roll up and fit in my normal shooting coat or shoulder bag.  100% waterproof and I have worn them walking and working but not hd any 'sweating' up inside.  I also have a full cammo suit which i purchased from Cabela's in the States and that packs into two small lightweight bags no more than 3 inches by 5 inches.  My wife has a similar suit and we reember being on the moors above Shap one August day when i turned and saw a wall of water coming across the moor. I managed to get my wife's suit unpacked and she got it on in time. I only manged the coat. She remained totally dry but I was soaked to the skin from mid thigh down. It rained for 10 minutes as it only can up there.  Cabela's DRY - PLUS. I do not know if they still make/sell them.  The jacket has a full drawstring hood and is long enough to come mid thigh.

Picture shows it packed in it's bag alongside a pair of scisors to give scale.

I have had this suit over 15yrs and it is still perfect.

001.JPG

I've had a couple of the very lightweight Cabelas 'dry plus' layers, and they were great for a season or so … then I ended up wet. Not available for purchase now in the UK as they've stopped shipping to us :-(

I think some of the fly fishing jackets are very good quality … but I've just bought a Stony Creek top layer thing … not tested it yet but will feedback as the season progresses.

I may have been a very lucky guy weather wise and can say I have probably only worn mine a cuple of dozen times since I have had it.  I am at that age , if it is raining and looks like raining then you will find me on Pigeon Watch not out in the field, so mine have only gone on if as up at Lowther, we got caught out.  The Dickies suit has never failed so far.

10 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

My experience is you need a good wicking insulating layer under all these fabrics. The only thing that is truly breathable is your skin. The damp feeling is nearly always internal condensation. I wear the Austrian jackets for picking up in foul weather on the hill and so far have had no issues. I am sure there are better but as with everything it comes at a cost.

You're right Dave re the cost.... Real GORE-TEX is really expensive. My golf over-trousers were around £180 about 12 years ago, [they've gone up a lot since then] but bought them in a sale so cost much less, about £110 if I recall.

GORE-TEX jackets are a luxury item for sure.

At the end of the day there are so many options 🤭

On 23/08/2020 at 23:17, JKD said:

I have shot and stalked all over the UK in all weathers, fished offshore in worse, walked the dog many times in horizontal rain, climbed Scaffel pike, Snowdon, Ben Nevis and many more - plus spent many years in W Africa and Florida where, when it rains, it can physically hurt you - and I have never been let down once by anything GORE-TEX.

Lightweight stuff is either Berghaus Paclite or North Face.

Mid-weight stuff is Schoffel and some Musto.

Heavyweight stuff is all Musto - which I have crawled through flowing ditches and streams in. 

All footwear is Miendl

None of these items are cheap to buy but several items are well over 20 years old so what is "cheap"? All are washed once a year with the 2 stage NikWax stuff and all are always hung on hangers with breathable space around them. Boots are regularly waxed.

Overall, the cost of ownership is tiny.

Edited by Eyefor

5 hours ago, Eyefor said:

None of these items are cheap to buy but several items are well over 20 years old so what is "cheap"?

I have a similar policy; I have an old favourite Musto I have had for over 30 years now.  Collar worn right through(!) and still largely waterproof.  It has been a great coat, but is quite heavy.  I have a more modern Schoffel, but it hasn't been tested nearly much as the Musto, which is still going strong.  I have reservations about the strength of the Schoffel fabric which feels thin by comparison, though in fairness, I have not torn it (yet).

My lightweight is a Tenson (Swedish) also quite old, but not had a great deal of use.  It is very lightweight with a 'mesh' type lining.  I'm not sure they are sold much in the UK.  Only minus is that the zip is small and fiddly.

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My lightweight is a Tenson (Swedish)........  Only minus is that the zip is small and fiddly.

These people

www.scottishmountaingear.com

are great at zip replacements and general outdoor clothing repairs.

I have no connection with them - other than being a very satisfied customer.

1 minute ago, Eyefor said:

These people

Thank you;  It works, but is small and rather 'fine pitch'.  Fortunately, as a lightweight summer coat, I don't have to struggle with gloves.  The jacket is an older version of this https://www.suitableshop.co.uk/tenson/coats/tenson-summer-jacket-ivar-olive.html

It is very lightweight and mine is a rather older design.

7 hours ago, Eyefor said:

I have shot and stalked all over the UK in all weathers, fished offshore in worse, walked the dog many times in horizontal rain, climbed Scaffel pike, Snowdon, Ben Nevis and many more - plus spent many years in W Africa and Florida where, when it rains, it can physically hurt you - and I have never been let down once by anything GORE-TEX.

Lightweight stuff is either Berghaus Paclite or North Face.

Mid-weight stuff is Schoffel and some Musto.

Heavyweight stuff is all Musto - which I have crawled through flowing ditches and streams in. 

All footwear is Miendl

None of these items are cheap to buy but several items are well over 20 years old so what is "cheap"?

Overall, the cost of ownership is tiny.

I agree,,,, it's the initial payout that puts people off buying anything made of GORE-TEX. I'm guessing that some buy goretex thinking it's something else 🤭

I do have a coat that has GORE-TEX lining, and a pair of boots containing some as well. Both are excellent 👍

So what us GORE-TEX fans are saying is,,,, if can afford it, buy it 😊

laugh if you want but, I bought a craghoppers three quarter length jacket from their outlet shop, wear it for taking the dog out and picking up, not got a 2 way zip or cartridge type pockets but been picking up out all day in the rain, took the dog out earlier chucking it down, water streaming off it, totally dry, apart from at the cuffs, though that is from using a thumb stick, use the tech wash every year to reproof, the water pills off until its saturated but doesn't come through