Freelander - which model is best?

mgsontour

I had one and while it’s a good daily driver if you’re going off road go with all terrain tyres and for most stuff you’re fine , if it’s proper off road they will struggle , but then that wasn’t it’s market it was aimed at , if you find one make sure everything works , electrics etc , and if it has hill descent test that out they were very prone to that packing up , broken wire ! . Diesel engines were pretty bomb proof as long as oil was changed regularly 

I've got a Freelander 2 TD4. Purchased new in 2008 and it's still going strong. I fitted General Grabber AT3's which are excellent on and off road. My offroading mainly consists of dirt tracks/small ruts, both dry and wet. It has, on occasion, got me out of some sticky (or muddy) situations.On the road, even with these tyres on, it's quiet. Every year I plan on replacing it, but my mate who does all my servicing etc, always says to keep it. It's just past the 90,000 mile mark which is nothing for a diesel. Apart from the usual wear and tear (tyres/brakes etc) I've only had a few small things gone wrong with it. The latest, a few days ago, was the front wiper linkage, which sheared off the spindle. I paid £167 for a new part.(it comes complete with motor) Mine gets serviced yearly and the oil/oil filter, fuel/air filter gets changed.

Had my 05 freelander for a while now,replaced clutch,tyres,window winder.That's it though,had it 6/7 years and it just gets used for the dogs,shooting or as a skip to the pit.

it's now done 100k,everything still works,no rust,it just gets on with it,engine is bomb proof,4wd only cuts in if you're in the sticky stuff,but the bfg tyres take care of most places you point it.

it's done every muddy winter on the fields and tracks,only time got worried when slipped off track into harvested sugar beet field,4wd  did cut in and I just kept it going,plumbs of mud flying up,but it got out.

it drive itself round in second gear without me touching anything other than steering.

so I would say a late td4 2.0ltr diesel is capable and reliable ,to the extent that I haven't changed it for a Disco4 or Range Rover sport.......yet😂😂😂

On 24/08/2020 at 16:23, archi said:

I’m off to look at an 09 plate hse today supposedly fsh with 125k on the clock with no bodywork damage for £4k

see if it is too good to be true, photos so far look ok

was it any good?

Edited by Schmitty

We’ve just bought this for the father in law. Grabber AT3’s going on it tomorrow. 06, 120k miles, full history and 12months mot. Everything works. Paid £2300 for it from a dealer with 3 month no quibble warranty. Dearer than some, but convenience and no hassle are worth a bit to us. 

A18955B1-8F89-48F3-AA78-58FF5694F5E8.jpeg

20 hours ago, London Best said:

I’ve spent over 40 years looking out for the caravan club pinching my Land Rovers, and now they’re trying to pinch my dog!

I know what you mean pal, last year someone unhooked the dog trailer ( left the landrover I may add ( which was very puzzling ) ) with 4 dogs in it