Shotgun ID

Lewi76

Hi guys hope you are all well ! . I’ve been given and old sxs 12g in pretty good condition and was wondering if anyone could give me any idea of the make . All I can se is that it’s been made in Spain and engraved on top of the barrels is words the english game gun . Thanks for everyone’s help 👍

Paul

E45660F4-9C50-4D52-846F-6505A7A5BDFB.jpeg

3D547643-8C5B-41D3-8A75-FE874D6CA4B9.jpeg

Edited by Lewi76

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

AYA made a model "English Game" but this was engraved on, from recollection, right hand barrel and not on the rib. A picture of the action where the proof marks and serial are stamped may show the maker's trade mark?

I had a gun in the early eighties that was similar in all respects including the scalloped action. I bought it second hand and was told it had been made by AYA although no makers mark. There was also a variety of guns imported by Elderkin under various names.

Looks to have been sleeved in the early days of doing it ,the engraved joints and badly fitting rib plus a set of British proof marks .To my knowledge very few if any. Spanish makers used the mono block method of barrel making . Three pin striker disc makes me think it is not an AyA as all the AyA's I have seen have had two peg discs .

See here https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/forums/topic/547-spanish-sxs-makers-marks-and-date-codes/

for some photos of how to 'decode' Spanish proof marks.  You gun has been overstamped by the UK (Birmingham) which would have been done when it was sleeved (which it looks to have been).  Note that there will (should) be a makers code - which is shown as being in front of the barrel flats.  It may have been lost in the sleeving?

16 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Well I'm glad somebody got there in the end. It's nice that when a link is posted that some actually do bother to make use of it. 

I am embarrassed to say that I did look down that very list (which I also have in my long term bookmarks) for PP as a makers mark and failed completely to spot it!

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I am embarrassed to say that I did look down that very list (which I also have in my long term bookmarks) for PP as a makers mark and failed completely to spot it!

Crazy isn’t it? I went through the list twice and still failed to spot it.

My first double gun was an Aramberri side lock , secondhand in 1963.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

I'm glad that it helped. It's an ejector with a bit of scallop back to the action so in its day was something a little bit of a higher line than say a plainer square backed boxlock. I hope that you get a lot of pleasure from your gun.

Thanks it has a bit of history of who used to own it so means a lot to me