Balotelli

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, motty said:

I understand if people want to lay birds out in rows, but many of us probably can't be bothered. If I had only ever shot a couple of ton bags I would probably present the birds differently for a photo, but after a good day I generally want to pack up and get gone.

Agree, last thing you want to be doing after a busy day.....it takes long enough picking up as it is without faffing about lining them up in rows! 
At the end of the day, the reason for the bag jealousy is when you can’t do it yourself. I don’t shoot the 3/4/500 bird days some do regularly but that’s only down to not having such numbers in my area, I get plenty of 1-200 days which is enough and the odd bigger day. 

Doesn’t mean I disbelieve those that shoot the huge bags, why would you just because they shoot more than you? 

The photos I take after days are me and the old man to look back over, which I quite like doing from time to time! 

3 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Agree, last thing you want to be doing after a busy day.....it takes long enough picking up as it is without faffing about lining them up in rows! 
At the end of the day, the reason for the bag jealousy is when you can’t do it yourself. I don’t shoot the 3/4/500 bird days some do regularly but that’s only down to not having such numbers in my area, I get plenty of 1-200 days which is enough and the odd bigger day. 

Doesn’t mean I disbelieve those that shoot the huge bags, why would you just because they shoot more than you? 

The photos I take after days are me and the old man to look back over, which I quite like doing from time to time! 

From my point of view I don't covet others shooting large bags of pigeons and am genuinely pleased for them. At the moment I'd be delighted with 20 or 30 or so. I've never shot a ton and would quite like to achieve that at some point,  just once will suffice. But if I don't, I won't die an unhappy man.

If you were closer I would happily go for a drive round your permissions and surrounding land with you to show you what I would be looking for, where to set up and alike. See if you can offer that to someone in Leicestershire, both shoot in one hide and I’m sure they would be happy to help. 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

If you were closer I would happily go for a drive round your permissions and surrounding land with you to show you what I would be looking for, where to set up and alike. See if you can offer that to someone in Leicestershire, both shoot in one hide and I’m sure they would be happy to help. 

That's a most generous offer. You never know how things pan out. Maybe one day. I think that you would be surprised at the lack of pigeon activity in this area. At the moment, there are more pigeons in my garden than on the fields although their life span is not to be envied. 

On 6 September 2020 at 21:30, Balotelli said:

Exactly. I'm shooting tomorrow and will no doubt bag a few. I'll put a picture on the Forum along the lines that you are suggesting.

Have I missed something Balotelli, only I'm still looking for a report of your day out yesterday, along with a photo of some orderly laid out pigeons that you promised us.

Could you please advise which section you posted it in.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Have I missed something Balotelli, only I'm still looking for a report of your day out yesterday, along with a photo of some orderly laid out pigeons that you promised us.

Could you please advise which section you posted it in.

OB

Hands up on this one. I had to cook breakfast for the missus which messed up the morning. Then the afternoon I was sent out to do a load of shopping. I do all the household shopping as the missus is house bound. That's why I'm on the computer posting so often. Things aren't always as they seem as some of you might appreciate.  As soon as I have posted this I'll go on a pigeon tour. I suspect a meagre bag. Thanks for reminding me though, much appreciated.

For those doubting Thomes, namely Old Boggy, who challenged me to lay out the birds in a tidy fashion. Had a quick spin around one of my shoots earlier. Not a lot about, spent about a couple of hours shooting as the birds weren't decoying particularly well. Anyway,  20 pigeons, 5 crows, one rook and a couple of magpies. A bonus squirrel in the tree above me. Probably as many pigeons and corvids dropped in the brambles behind me which even Relloms couldn't retrieve, making the bag probably in the region of  50+. 

SAM_5436.JPG

5 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

For those doubting Thomes, namely Old Boggy, who challenged me to lay out the birds in a tidy fashion. Had a quick spin around one of my shoots earlier. Not a lot about, spent about a couple of hours shooting as the birds weren't decoying particularly well. Anyway,  20 pigeons, 5 crows, one rook and a couple of magpies. A bonus squirrel in the tree above me. Probably as many pigeons and corvids dropped in the brambles behind me which even Relloms couldn't retrieve, making the bag probably in the region of  50+. 

SAM_5436.JPG

There’s a old saying

best to keep quiet and leave people to think I maybe a idiot 

or 

speak and prove you’re one 

im now convinced 

1 hour ago, Balotelli said:

SAM_5436.JPG

No comment. 

Goodbye. 

SAM_5436.JPG

Did you buy the decoys today ? , as none of then look like they have ever been used for what they were made for , not sure if you are allowed to decoy Red Squirrel's :lol:

32 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Why did you Kill your wrotty 

Relloms is alive and well and just having a well earned drink. And Marsh Man you need to visit Specsavers, there are no decoys in that photo. Yes, it does appear there was a single red squirrel in Leicestershire but in response to one of Mellors' posts, it was my  "lack of experience" that failed me in spotting it in the canopy. 

Just now, marsh man said:

Unlike mine Scully , they have got more holes in them than a second hand dart board and the amount of lead in them would reload a few cartridges 

😀 I only have one full bodied, but it rattles like a good un! No doubt given time, the full bodied crows I’ve just bought will turn out the same. 
I found one in the barn, but it has gathered so much dust and crud from bird droppings that I can’t use it til it has a good clean. 🙂

20 hours ago, Balotelli said:

That's a most generous offer. You never know how things pan out. Maybe one day. I think that you would be surprised at the lack of pigeon activity in this area. At the moment, there are more pigeons in my garden than on the fields although their life span is not to be envied. 

In my opinion it is difficult to justify killing of wood pigeons in your garden under the general licenses. 

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Me too.

In a Forum such as this, I would have hoped that there would be more useful information passing to and fro. Some of the posts do just that. But there are far too many posts telling us someone has another new permission, or there are lots of pigeons in my area, or I've shot so many birds today, blah, blah blah.  Well, bully for them but these sorts of comments add nothing apart from saying "I'm doing all right Jack". (Name apart,  that's not aimed at Jacko which is a seismic shift for him and members of the Forum should be delighted for him.)

In a Forum such as this, I would have hoped that there would be more useful information passing to and fro. Some of the posts do just that. But there are far too many posts telling us someone has another new permission, or there are lots of pigeons in my area, or I've shot so many birds today, blah, blah blah.  Well, bully for them but these sorts of comments add nothing apart from saying "I'm doing all right Jack". (Name apart,  that's not aimed at Jacko which is a seismic shift for him and members of the Forum should be delighted for him.)

I'm intrigued. What kind of information are you looking to glean? 

I am a fairly experienced decoyer, but I still learn a thing or two from reading these pages.

16 hours ago, Balotelli said:

SAM_5436.JPG

Many thanks for rising to the challenge and posting a photo of your latest 'bag'.

You are to be congratulated on the precision of the layout, which not only clearly shows an orderly mind, but also dispels my 'Doubting Thomas' theory that you are not totally bonkers.:yahoo:. I now know.

However, your next challenge, following on from a previous thread, is for you to enlighten us with your promise to post your own thoughts on 'Gun Fit'.

I'm sure that this will be eagerly awaited and will no doubt also be Lingua in Maxillam.

Keep them coming and us guessing :whistling:

OB

I don't post many of my  hunting forays .

Those that I do share, are done so .for 2 reasons .

1 because I enjoyed the day out and was pleased with my efforts .and going home and boring the wife with it is a waste of everyone's time .I'd rather share with people who are interested (I certainly  enjoy reading of other people's  good days out ) .

2 .In the hope that some of the things I did right on the day are shared and may help others in a similar situation ..people can ask for more info about a specific decoy or hide set up etc .

Or just read and absorb .

Its one of the things I love about this forum shooters tell of their days out  .instead of some forums just being a technical journal start to finish .(a lot of airgun forums are like that .) 

I don’t post about my shooting as I am quite lazy and also a relative novice. I have only been decoying pigeons for 20 years and so have comparatively little knowledge compared to some of the men on this forum. I post the odd write up in the vermin control sections. I have learnt a lot from this forum about pigeon shooting and also about how easy it is to make myself look like an eegit or offend someone accidentally.