Exagerated bags

Balotelli

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure what else I can add to this topic. It's certainly provoked some debate and "ruffled a few feathers" on the way. There were 3700 views on this particular post and on the whole it's a relatively small bunch of Forum members who replied and the same bunch who also respond to most topics in "Talk from the Field". The upshot of this is that the views posted represent a relatively small number of vociferous Forum members. The silent majority do not necessarily wish to put their heads above the parapet but may actually agree with some of my points. The lifeblood is posting on the Forum but it's a shame that the old guard are not challenged from time to time and less reverence paid to them. Some have interesting comments to make but there are some who not do exactly qualify for Oracle status and appear not to have grasped this fact.

7 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

I'm not sure what else I can add to this topic. It's certainly provoked some debate and "ruffled a few feathers" on the way. There were 3700 views on this particular post and on the whole it's a relatively small bunch of Forum members who replied and the same bunch who also respond to most topics in "Talk from the Field". The upshot of this is that the views posted represent a relatively small number of vociferous Forum members. The silent majority do not necessarily wish to put their heads above the parapet but may actually agree with some of my points. The lifeblood is posting on the Forum but it's a shame that the old guard are not challenged from time to time and less reverence paid to them. Some have interesting comments to make but there are some who not do exactly qualify for Oracle status and appear not to have grasped this fact.

So you set out to provoke a reaction then?

51 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

In response to Old Boggy, don't worry I haven't forgotten the treatise on "Gun Fit".

Looking forward to that as it`s an area that I`m seriously lacking in the technicalities. Very much like Marshman, I started my shooting many years ago completely ignorant of gun fit, chokes and to an extent cartridges. The only thing that I learnt in those days was that the Sellior & Bellot cartridges sold in packs of ten (the only ones that I could afford) either went BANG or PHUT.

Whatever you post, I`m sure that it will be entertaining, perhaps informative and no doubt thought provoking and create much discussion.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Looking forward to that as it`s an area that I`m seriously lacking in the technicalities. Very much like Marshman, I started my shooting many years ago completely ignorant of gun fit, chokes and to an extent cartridges. The only thing that I learnt in those days was that the Sellior & Bellot cartridges sold in packs of ten (the only ones that I could afford) either went BANG or PHUT.

Whatever you post, I`m sure that it will be entertaining, perhaps informative and no doubt thought provoking and create much discussion.

OB

Thank you for kind words. The answer is Yes and No. My post original did accurately reflect my view and some of my follow up comments were designed to provoke a meaningful discussion. These were not intended to be pointed but some Forum members would insist on  leading with their chins. The photo that I posted was intended as a bit of fun. God knows why it produced some enraged responses. 

2 hours ago, Balotelli said:

Thank you for kind words. The answer is Yes and No. My post original did accurately reflect my view and some of my follow up comments were designed to provoke a meaningful discussion. These were not intended to be pointed but some Forum members would insist on  leading with their chins. The photo that I posted was intended as a bit of fun. God knows why it produced some enraged responses. 

Traditionally one puts a smiley 😊 when one is having a bit of a laugh 😂 

from experience people rarely enjoy their passion (whatever it is) being made fun of 👍

with respect you sir shot your self in the foot with your comments and posts 

On 09/09/2020 at 14:59, Old farrier said:

Traditionally one puts a smiley 😊 when one is having a bit of a laugh 😂 

from experience people rarely enjoy their passion (whatever it is) being made fun of 👍

with respect you sir shot your self in the foot with your comments and posts 

I would have hoped you might have read between the lines on some of my posts. I'm not poking fun at shooting being an avid shooter myself. But sometimes we take ourselves a little too seriously and a bit of banter does no one any harm. Clearly, you took some of my comments to heart and I'm sorry that is the case. As I have posted earlier, I'm not apologising for the sentiments of my posts and stand by them. I can assure you that the post was not intended as some giant **** take. 

18 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

I would have hoped you might have read between the lines on some of my posts. I'm not poking fun at shooting being an avid shooter myself. But sometimes we take ourselves a little too seriously and a bit of banter does no one any harm. Clearly, you took some of my comments to heart and I'm sorry that is the case. As I have posted earlier, I'm not apologising for the sentiments of my posts and stand by them. I can assure you that the post was not intended as some giant p*** take. 

Why should I try or even bother to read between the lines ? 
this is a open forum and for the benefit of all I find it best not to talk in riddles 

Your assurance is not worth a light to me have you even got a shotgun certificate? 

29 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Why should I try or even bother to read between the lines ? 
this is a open forum and for the benefit of all I find it best not to talk in riddles 

Your assurance is not worth a light to me have you even got a shotgun certificate? 

OK, it's probably not worth pursuing this any further as we seem to be on different sides of the divide. I'm sorry that you have got yourself in a tiz-woz.

Edited by Balotelli
additional thought

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Answer the question? 
or

make a constructive post 

I cannot recall being asked to produce a shotgun licence on purchasing the decoys.

3 hours ago, dodgy dave said:

or shut it 

Now, now Dodgy Dave, I don't think that Old Farrier deserves a retort such as that. Understandable but a trifle curt. 

Edited by Balotelli
additional thought

Sorry a little bit of the same. I more or less kicked of this post regarding a clot who went out everyday (literally) popping away whether there were pigeons or not. At the moment there are very few pigeons on the stubble. I'm not taking the mick out of Mellors but I suspect the same mantra will be spun by the clot I'm referring to as "Doing a good job". He's deluded, he's doing a rotten job for the following reasons: first up the farmers would prefer the pigeons to clear spilt grain. Secondly, any build up of pigeons is likely to be jeopardised by the constant popping all over the estate. The only possible "good job" is keeping pigeon numbers down for next year and that won't happen because numbers of pigeons aren't there and the few that are will have moved on. Incidentally, rumour has it a bag of 46. Sure! I haven't seen that number  in total over umpteen farms over different days. Maybe different where you are, I hope so.

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

The stubble shot 112 in last week didn’t have a single bird on it this week when checked three times. Ended up packing up after 7 kills with 8 shots yesterday on another new stubble. You have to be in the right place at the right time and have enough permission to be able to do so. 

Well at least that's encouraging. I was getting to the point of whether it was questionable going out on fruitless searches? It's strange how these fields can blow hot and cold. We just have no idea on pigeon behaviour. If only we could predict it, would save a lot of time and money. 

3 hours ago, Balotelli said:

Well at least that's encouraging. I was getting to the point of whether it was questionable going out on fruitless searches? It's strange how these fields can blow hot and cold. We just have no idea on pigeon behaviour. If only we could predict it, would save a lot of time and money. 

If we knew what a pigeon was thinking and where and when it would be feeding next I don't think we would have any left by now , when you look at the bags that one or two members have had just recently we know there are still a lot of pigeons about , not everywhere but they are about and the ones with a lot of experience seem to get them on a regular basis , looking at the newness of your decoys I don't think you would be up there amongst the leaders even if you had a supply of pigeons to go at .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

If we knew what a pigeon was thinking and where and when it would be feeding next I don't think we would have any left by now , when you look at the bags that one or two members have had just recently we know there are still a lot of pigeons about , not everywhere but they are about and the ones with a lot of experience seem to get them on a regular basis , looking at the newness of your decoys I don't think you would be up there amongst the leaders even if you had a supply of pigeons to go at .

I tend to look after my kit and crazy, I know, even FUDS get washed. Nor do I see the connection between state of decoys and numbers of pigeons shot. Do tell. 

Incidentally, I don't buy this "experience" thing. It's the thinking shooters who will succeed. In my experience a lot of so called experienced pigeon shooters are as thick as the proverbial. Naturally,  Forum members excepted. Thick people can do OK in a limited and narrow way which is true in life including pigeon shooting. But the bright ones will eventually come out on top. 

2 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

I tend to look after my kit and crazy, I know, even FUDS get washed. Nor do I see the connection between state of decoys and numbers of pigeons shot. Do tell. 

Incidentally, I don't buy this "experience" thing. It's the thinking shooters who will succeed. In my experience a lot of so called experienced pigeon shooters are as thick as the proverbial. Naturally,  Forum members excepted. Thick people can do OK in a limited and narrow way which is true in life including pigeon shooting. But the bright ones will eventually come out on top. 

This must be why your so argumentative When  people try and share there experience with  You .. You may shoot more if you listen to some of the guys on here rather that argue with them as there will come a point when no one reply’s to your threads 

1 minute ago, Jacko3275 said:

This must be why your so argumentative When  people try and share there experience with  You .. You may shoot more if you listen to some of the guys on here rather that argue with them as there will come a point when no one reply’s to your threads 

Sorry, Jacko, I stand by my comments. To improve in anything you must challenge old established ways of doing things. Listening to experienced rubbish is not the way to improve. This is not aimed at Forum members as I don't think that I have been given any advice. Ironically, what does stick in my craw is some of the patronising comments aimed at you and I don't like it.  I'm actually batting on your side which undoubtedly you will reject, more's the pity, but hey ho.

Im pretty sure Jacko is very well regarded on this forum .I know I like the way he has arrived to this game of pigeon chasing with humility and eagerness . He has listened and been taken under the wing of some of the best guys on the forum (I wonder why that is 😆) and is so obviously  improving that he shot his first half ton the other week .its certainly  been a long time since I shot 50 pige so he  is obviously doing every thing right and more power to him i say .

I wish more members would have the same attitude .

1 hour ago, Balotelli said:

Sorry, Jacko, I stand by my comments. To improve in anything you must challenge old established ways of doing things. Listening to experienced rubbish is not the way to improve. This is not aimed at Forum members as I don't think that I have been given any advice. Ironically, what does stick in my craw is some of the patronising comments aimed at you and I don't like it.  I'm actually batting on your side which undoubtedly you will reject, more's the pity, but hey ho.

why must we challenge the old established ways of pigeon shooting ? Nothing has changed much in the last 20 years or so that I can see.

The last biggest advancement was the rotary machine about 25 years ago  .

Since then we have had  flappers and see through nets .

Hardly game changing .

Guns haven't changed ,carts are the same and  I don't think the pigeons and crows are any smarter either  ,so I'd say listen to the guys who have been shooting 50 plus years as they WILL or at least should have a better idea of why birds do what they do and keep us chasing them about .

As far as listening to experienced  rubbish .how would you know its rubbish unless you also had the same level of experience .? 

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Im pretty sure Jacko is very well regarded on this forum .I know I like the way he has arrived to this game of pigeon chasing with humility and eagerness . He has listened and been taken under the wing of some of the best guys on the forum (I wonder why that is 😆) and is so obviously  improving that he shot his first half ton the other week .its certainly  been a long time since I shot 50 pige so he  is obviously doing every thing right and more power to him i say .

I wish more members would have the same attitude .

Totally agree. I think that Jacko’s honesty and enthusiasm to learn from more experienced people on this forum has obviously paid dividends. As for ‘patronising comments’, I don’t think that words of encouragement can in any way be regarded as patronising. 
I was beginning to believe that Balotelli may have had some useful input to the forum, but now believe he just likes to promote a reaction and is a negative contributor.

OB